Jesus & Agendas

Posted by C Shell 
Recent Messages
Jesus & Agendas
November 22, 2009 05:41PM
Wayne said something interesting on the podcast:
Wayne (or maybe it was Brad)
"Jesus didn't blow through life with an objective."
Wherever he was on any particular day, he was himself in every place and in every encounter. He didn't have an agenda; he wasn't looking for meaning and purpose in his life, or anything else but being who he was and doing what his Father was doing. You never see stress or angst in Jesus' life.

When I was in the Club, I was always looking for (and was encouraged to look for) my mission, my niche, the job that would best use my "gifts". I took I-dunno-how-many Gifts Assessments and Inventories to identify where I was most suited to serve. Even after I identified my gifts (writing, teaching and encouraging), I rarely got to put them to use in an ongoing, institutional way as I thought I was supposed to. Teaching and encouraging, I thought, qualified me to be a home group leader. But that became my job, my objective: to lead a home group. Whereas Jesus just walked with his "home group" every day, encountering life with them.

I have a job that I go to 5 days a week, which I tend to see as something to be "gotten through" so I can get to my "real life". Jesus wouldn't even know what that means. It's all my real life. It doesn't matter whether or not I get to use my "designated gifts" in my profession; that idea comes from the world of management or career counseling or something else modern.

I see Jesus, when he walked on earth, saying every morning something like, "I go with you, Papa, into the adventure of this day." Taking the world as it is, not as he would have it. And he could do this because he was certain, secure, confirmed in his Father's love: that made him who he was, not his gifts, talents, abilities, agenda, job, mission.

Jesus lived loved. Therefore, he loved.

It's not about what we are against, but Who we are for... and Who is for us.
Re: Jesus & Agendas
November 22, 2009 08:41PM
Very nice, Shelley. This is one of those Papa-memes with me at the moment too. He keeps on whispering to me..."I am here with you in the right now, and I am all you need. You don't need a title, a job description, a purpose!"

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
December 12, 2009 01:42AM
Anonymous User
December 12, 2009 02:26PM
It's a good thing we don't need those titles and jobs to survive...because I sure don't have any. It's cool to have the time to look at the real meaning of Christmas and Christianity with new eyes. The sad, lonely feeling will pass...probably when I get all my kids and grandkids home. I am so blessed that no one lives far away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost