Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

true transformation

Posted by C Shell 
Recent Messages
true transformation
April 13, 2011 11:14AM
Richard Rohr
Early-stage religion is more about belonging and believing than about transformation. When belonging and believing are the primary concerns, people don’t see their need for growth, healing, or basic spiritual curiosity. Once we let the group substitute for an inner life or our own faith journey, all we need to do is “attend.” For several centuries, church has been more a matter of attendance at a service than an observably different lifestyle. Membership requirements and penalties predominated, not the change-your-life message that Jesus so clearly preached.

Membership questions lead to endless arguments about who is in and who is out, who is right and who is wrong, who is worthy of our God, and who is not. Such distinctions appeal to our ego and its need to feel worthy and superior and to be part of a group that defines itself by exclusion. The church ends up a gated country club, giving people a false sense of superiority. This is why Jesus walks to those on the edges: the handicapped, the sinners, the excluded ones.
I knew this, but he just seemed to put it so well in few words. I know the gated country club isn't for me anymore. It never was, but it felt like it fit at the time.

I like how he put it, letting the group substitute for an inner life or our own faith journey....i was having an inner life, but it was crafted according to the instructions I got from the group (daily quiet time with verses of scripture and prayer, etc.) so it wasn't free to really seek Papa in wild and unconventional places.

We humans always gravitate toward the "inner circle", when Jesus is not there, he's "walking on the edges".
Re: true transformation
April 13, 2011 11:38PM
Agreed

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
Re: true transformation
May 26, 2011 12:37AM
Good Post! Shelley

We have just had my wifes 50th birthday celebrations recently and half way through a 'friend' decided to tell her why one person could'nt make it to share her special day with her. This was like a bomb shell. And she struggled to keep her 'composure' for the rest of the afternoon tea. The reason - Being unwell but missing 'church' she decided to go and was too tired to attend my wifes party) Matter of fact she wasnt even able to let know directly but told someone else?
She has lost a few IC's friends of late since she stopped attending the place, others - cant even tell her why they dont keep in touch any more?
Strange places these 'transforming halls'?

LH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost