Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

knowing what you don't know

Posted by C Shell 
Recent Messages
knowing what you don't know
January 05, 2011 01:22PM
Richard Rohr
Many politicians and clergymen know what they know, but they don’t know what they don’t know, and that’s what makes them dangerous. A creative tension... knowing what you know and knowing what you don’t know, is a necessary one. All you know is that it is foundationally all right, despite the seeming contradictions and conflict. I heard recently that a typical small child smiles six hundred times a day, and old men smile two and a half times a day. That tells me that religion is not doing its job very well.
When I was in religion, it was always so important to know the right things. But it was never mentioned that it's just as important to not know things and to be ok with not knowing them. It seemed like we were always reading the Bible so we could explain God -- why he does what he does, why he seems to contradict himself at times. And he is wild, mysterious, unpredictable at the same time that he is faithful, loving and trustworthy.

If contradictions can exist at the same time in God, they can also exist at the same time in me and in every one. which means I can be gracious and gentle to the contradictions, the things I know & don't know, about myself and about the humans in my life. Then maybe I can smile more than two and half times a day.
Re: knowing what you don't know
January 05, 2011 07:14PM
Nice one, Shell! I was reading something similar in Blue Like Jazz last night.

There is simply no way for us to fully comprehend the wonder, the majesty, the awesome love of our creator; anymore than a pancake I make for breakfast can understand me.

Knowing what we don't know is also essential in any knowledge based employment, at least one where we are realistic.

It's also humble and humbling... we are not pretending to be something we are not... we are aware of our limitations.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
January 06, 2011 01:54AM
Yes, not pretending to be what we're not. being like Jesus then. we are closest to God when we're just who we are.

Love that Donald Miller! have you ever read Searching for God Knows What?
January 06, 2011 03:12AM
Yup I've really come to appreciate his writing, I've also started reading some of Rob Bell's books and Brian Mclaren good stuff. I wonder if what we know isn't as important as how we live, in the now. Religion is all about believing and knowing the right stuff. I wonder if just living and being in the moment is enough. Life is such a fleating yet precious gift. Much to be learned in the school of life about who Father is...
January 06, 2011 09:10PM
Oh gosh, I am so loving Richard Rohr's writings as well, and I too am so lightened by just letting it be, and not having to think I can control the world by "knowing it all". Wow!!!!!

This reminds me of something I wrote on Facebook yesterday, and got quite a few responses: “Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions” Rainer Maria Rilke

I had just had a phone conversation with a friend in California who was offering for me to come down and try an alternative healing technique. In the past I would have kind of freaked out on needing to KNOW what to do..... but I told her that I would sit with is.... and listen. So then I posted that quote and many others came to respond with what it meant to them!

I think that when we live our lives that way, it sort of invites others to live in the present, rather than by a set of rigid rules. It invites people to relax into His grace.
January 07, 2011 02:04AM
Hello, after so long a time. I am sorry i have been so quiet and absent. But it has been a time of growth for me. This topic resonates with me....learning to be a HUMAN BEING not a HUMAN DOING. What a process it has been!
Shell, Heather--any updates in the transplant story? Quite a process for both of you, waiting to see how all of that will play out too.
important to not know things and to be ok with not knowing them. (Shell)
To me, this is the secret of contentment. Learning to relax with my own limitations. Learning how to TRULY let go of having to be able to explain everything, defend everything, understand everything. Being able to trust the heart of God when I can't understand the hand of God. Seeing the beauty of the journey, the process, and not being so antsy for the final picture.

Anyway, good to see you again, Shell....

W.I.P. (Work in Progress)
Learning to Live LOVED
January 07, 2011 05:17PM
Phoebe
important to not know things and to be ok with not knowing them. (Shell)
To me, this is the secret of contentment. Learning to relax with my own limitations. Learning how to TRULY let go of having to be able to explain everything, defend everything, understand everything. Being able to trust the heart of God when I can't understand the hand of God. Seeing the beauty of the journey, the process, and not being so antsy for the final picture.

Good Post! Beautiful Phoebe!! Good to see you again!! glomp
January 07, 2011 06:15PM
Sone people what they don't know isn't worth knowing
I think what I do know I have forgtten already
January 08, 2011 05:38PM
Good to see you too Phoebe........tell us more about becoming a HUMAN BEING!!!!
January 17, 2011 11:50PM
I know that I don't know the reason Father God still has me attending THAT church...but I am content with not having to defend myself or explain myself when folks want me to jump back in the hamster wheel of DOING. I am more in tune with BEING...being supportive of my husband, BEING in the back pew below the radar, BEING content with the occasional good scraps I glean from that table, and finding my main course elsewhere, mainly with one or two others...in nature...in daily interaction with the important people in my life...in walking through tragedy with a dear friend...in quiet times of reflection and meditation. Being, not doing. It is refreshing.

W.I.P. (Work in Progress)
Learning to Live LOVED
January 18, 2011 03:24AM
Just to add my warped sense of humour into the fray here.....

regarding J's post ...

"Some people what they don't know isn't worth knowing
I think what I do know I have forgtten already"

reminds me of a little ditty I came across years ago.....

The more you study, the more you know
The more you know, the more you forget.
The more you forget, the less you know,
The less you know, the less you forget.
Why study?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 03:26AM by Ricy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost