Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Alpha and Omega

Posted by C Shell 
Recent Messages
Alpha and Omega
September 26, 2009 02:32AM
Jesus lowered Himself, even in revealing to us that He is the Alpha and Omega. The eternal God has no alphabet, no finite set of letters with which to speak, as we do. He has no time; therefore for Jesus there “was” no beginning and “will be” no end. Yet for us, he describes himself as the beginning and end. How kind of Him, to put Himself into our limited frame of reference.

The rabbis, when referring to something in its entirety, would say, “from aleph to tau”. “Abraham observed the Law, from aleph to tau” is an example from their writings. Jesus, in revealing Himself as Alpha and Omega, was following this tradition. In Hebrew, the union of aleph and tau make eth, the first matter out of which all things were formed. In Greek, the union of alpha and omega make (need Greek alphabet to type) ___, a word meaning “I breathe”, which fits very well as a description of the one who breathed life into man to give him life, and who breathed the Spirit into man to give him eternal life.

Jesus is everything from A to Z. He starts everything and will end everything. In Jesus, the Alpha of the Old Testament (Genesis, where man was created sinless) and the Omega of the New Testament (Revelation, where man and God are reconciled in heaven) meet. And He has authority over everything in between.

How can God, who has no beginning and no end, also be the beginning and end. I think it’s because beginnings and endings are all we can understand at this time. “In the beginning, God” refers to our beginning, not God’s.

What does it mean to me personally, that Jesus is my Alpha and Omega, my beginning and end, my first and last? He was with me at the beginning of my life, not just at birth, but also at conception. He’ll be with me at the end of my earthly life, and at the beginning of my forever life. He’s with me in every time and place in between. There is no time that he is not with me.

As I lift my eyes to the Lord, seeking Him, he shall preserve my “going out and coming in, from this time forth and even forevermore” (Ps 121:8). As I obey him, he promises me, “Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out” (Deut 28:6).

What are my goings out and comings in but beginnings and endings? When I get out of bed in the morning, when I leave my house for work, when I send an email, I’m going out – I’m beginning. When I close a door, when I set down a pen, when I hang up the phone, I’m coming in – I’m ending. Looking at it this way, my whole life is a constant flow of goings out and comings in. God’s flow in our lives is that way, too. He may bring someone into my life; he may be in the ending of a relationship. We say he “opens and shuts doors” in our lives. Just as he opened the universe, and will shut it someday.
Re: Alpha and Omega
September 26, 2009 05:08AM
Nice, Shelley!
CShell
As I lift my eyes to the Lord, seeking Him, he shall preserve my “going out and coming in, from this time forth and even forevermore” (Ps 121:8). As I obey him, he promises me, “Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out” (Deut 28:6).
And that obedience comes out of the grace he extends to us, not of our strength. I like "As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord" over the doorway...because as we go in and out, we are reminded of who we belong to.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
November 15, 2009 11:11PM
C Shell
Jesus lowered Himself, even in revealing to us that He is the Alpha and Omega. ... How kind of Him, to put Himself into our limited frame of reference.
Yeah...that
Reminds me of a time a few years ago when I was daydreaming with God about rearranging the livingroom. I was having a good time planning out what I was imagining, when I asked him, "Will THAT fit THERE?"
He said (...yeah, I know, "God said..." may not be PC, but just go with me here... he said), "Let's find out!!"
Like he was willing to measure it with me and discover whether or not it would work.
I said (with my tongue in my cheek), "Are you LIMITING yourself in order to BE with me?" (cause we all know that He already KNEW if it would fit...)
He said, "I ALWAYS limit myself to BE with you." Crying for Joy

I was struck:
He doesn't care HOW I rearrange the livingroom, He just wants to BE WITH me.

This has become my life-philosophy -- how I approach life:
- Not to obey him (figure out what he wants from my livingroom and do that).
- Not to ask him for answers (as if I have no brain / as if I have no freedom to find out for myself).
But rather to DISCOVER stuff and just BE with him. (sigh)

How freeing: After 30+ years of trying to "obey" and "ask God for the answers", I get to just BE ME with him...
I'm not sure if this is where I will be FOREVER in my journey, but its where I am now.
SO cool how he limits himself to be with us, huh? He really likes us. CrazySquish*giggle*
(and "No, I don't always hear voices." winking smiley )
November 15, 2009 11:37PM
I LOVE that room-arranging story, Theresa! I have what I call "little jokes" with God that are like that. You know how you and your spouse will have private jokes or words or sayings between you two that nobody else would get... it's really fun when these happen with God.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost