Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Papa's HomeHappy Dance

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
Papa's HomeHappy Dance
September 21, 2009 08:24AM
Well, in case you are not aware of the story of how this all came to be, I am one of the founders of this site, and right now I'm going to let you know.

In March 2009, I joined an online forum called The God Journey. Having been well-versed in forums through dealing with computer-support forums for years (I'm a computer techie), I was pleasantly surprised to find a bunch of people that actually created a community of caring rather than a whole lot of individuals that couldn't care less. Up until then Papa had been leading me through the detox process of coming out of a toxic institutional church environment, so a community of believers living outside the box was also something new to me. I thought it was great, and jumped in. I met some really interesting people, some people with some really interesting ideas, and I made some friends. I also joined another forum community, along the same lines. The two had very different dynamics; the latter was sedate, mainly women, and tended to focus on the teachings of one man. TGJ was often in turmoil, many men, and had as a side issue the podcasts of the TGJ main site, but seemed a lot more real to me. (Again, all this is my opinion, please don't take offence if you see it differently)

I wondered how hard it would be to build that sort of community, but didn't really give it a second thought. Until recently, when dealing with some issues within the forum, and hearing Papa's voice saying that this was not how it was supposed to be. I began to hear from people who had been hurt, and left. This concerned me and pained me.

The issues got bigger, they exploded, and I saw that through the unwillingness of the community to provide a safe haven for those who were not as strong as me, nor the vocal ones there, they were destroying the freedom that they had sought to create. Sounds melodramatic, but that's what it came to. Papa began saying to me that he had given me my skills for a reason, and that it was now time to start implementing them for this cause of his. I resisted, and thought I could help fix TGJ. I tried. Lead balloon. Then I started to talk to a friend from TGJ, also embroiled in the explosion, and confided that I had had these thoughts of creating a new forum. I expected her to laugh it off. She told me she would be there with rings on her fingers, bells on her toes, and a bone in her nose!

Papa worked with us as we brainstormed, and I coded, based on a forum software that was new to me, but which I thought would be a good fit for the intended purpose ( I am used to working with large CMSs, not small and fast single purpose forums...but I also knew PhpBB and SMF well enough to know that I could have some better flexibility...and found Phorum ). I found Phorum brilliantly easy to theme, creating the custom theme you see before you now, which I called "Heavenly", and brilliantly easy to add modules for extra functionality. Meanwhile we brainstormed...by email. One Kiwi boy, and one Yankee lass, only she began to call it 'spiritstorming', because that's what it felt like, so I did too smiling smiley

The temporary name for the site, "Wings Like Eagles", began to fall behind on the direction the spiritstorming was going...it just didn't fit...but Papa gave us the new one; I believe somewhat miraculously, in the term "Papa's Home", because it spoke so well, meant so many positive things to us, reminded us of the Shack Book, and the domain name was available (incredibly; have you ever tried getting exactly the domain name you wanted? Not easy these days! And this one used to be owned, but not populated, up until Oct08. So a year later there is new life in it!)

Then it came down to testing, polishing, building the structure, and so on again. Just as it was getting ready to go, another friend on TGJ mentioned that he was going to take a break from there for a while (he'd had enough of the drama too), so I invited him to come aboard to help test; also knowing that he'd had much experience on forums like this in the past. He leapt at the opportunity. Then so did another friend, a brother in 3d also. And so on...until here we are.

That was the mercifully quick version, but I wanted it to be known.

This forum is far from perfect; it is only as good as we can make it, as a community. Papa willing, that community will grow, and we will grow with it, as we learn from one another, encourage one another, serving Him.

Thank you to all who have made it what it is so far! Thank you for joining in! Thanks for your efforts in making this a safe place of blessing we can honestly call Papa's Home!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 11:52AM by onyx.
Re: Papa's HomeHappy Dance
September 22, 2009 02:12PM
smiling smiley

Hope you all are well .

September 23, 2009 01:32PM
Onyx has done such a gorgeous job with all the technical stuff! This place looks like a million $ and has enormous potential… for encouraging Papa’s children wherever and whoever they may be, in as “safe” an environment as you can have online.
So let’s start talking!Anyone?
September 23, 2009 02:14PM
Hehehe yeah it looks great . i should be reading more of the Koran later .

after that (which will take a while) i'll set my sights on the Book of Mormon or the RCC Catechism .

Hope you all are well .

October 13, 2009 11:58PM
Onyx,

Just wanted to say thank you to you and all the others too for this friendly and inviting forum. I feel right at home.
Thanks again

ToniGroup Hug

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
October 14, 2009 12:06AM
Toni, you are so welcome! That's what it's all about. And thank you for hanging out in here with us, especially as it is so quiet at the moment grinning smiley Early days yet, though, we are only a month old.

How is the job search going?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
October 14, 2009 01:56AM
Job search is going so. Lots of interviews but nothing yet. I remember the day I could apply for an OR nurse job and be hired quickly but now everyone has to look at all the applicants. I am trusting Papa that the best job will come along. The bank account is hoping for sooner.

Angel Hug feeling the love
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost