Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Going postal

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
Going postal
May 09, 2011 07:41AM
Well, I really surprised myself tonight...as well as the family. I was waiting for the fish and chips to be cooked, out in the van, with the kids, and the windows open. There was a car parked next to us. Another car (hotted up Jap import), driven by a teen, with his girlfriend, pulls up behind the parked car and the two of them jump out , egg the car, splattering our van and my son in the process, and jump back into their car to make a fast getaway. I was leaning into his car window and yelling at him in about 3 seconds...surprised myself with the language and forcefulness I used on this kid, telling him he had better go and clean that mess up! He hurriedly did as instructed, though he obviously thought I had lost the plot.

So I surprised myself; I reacted as I thought my family was under threat, and I probably over-reacted because I have had enough of irresponsible teens inflicting themselves upon the rest of society (the house next door us is teen-party central). So that's my confession; I'm not sure that I did wrong, though...

when have you gone 'postal', and did you regret it?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: Going postal
May 09, 2011 01:06PM
Onyx I do resent the comparison between my job and someone losing complete control and going chernobal. smiling smiley It really comes from IMO being stretched so thin by our fast pace of life.
May 09, 2011 09:40PM
Zinger, you are right, it was insensitive! I was using the term, as I understand it to be understood by Americana [en.wikipedia.org]. Why is it that the postal service has such a bad record of stress for their workers?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
May 09, 2011 09:41PM
I too hadn't heard that phrase before, I can't ever think I will become angry enough to stick mail in peoples mail boxes in all weathers, facing snarling dogs having to wear awful shorts. Someone would of had to have spilled my cider!
May 10, 2011 04:19AM
Onyx not to worry I was having fun with you. I don't think I can explaain postal labour relations without resorting to the use of colourful metaphors. So in the interest of decorum at this sight I'll refrain from commenting. And J leave my shorts out of this...I guess I just have a cranky demeanor. Or maybe I'm a crank smiling smiley
May 10, 2011 11:14AM
Wikipedia
Going postal, in American English slang, means becoming extremely and uncontrollably angry, often to the point of shooting people dead, usually in a workplace environment.

The expression derives from a series of incidents from 1983 onward in which United States Postal Service (USPS) workers shot and killed managers, fellow workers, and members of the police or general public in acts of mass murder. Between 1986 and 1997, more than forty people were gunned down by spree killers in at least twenty incidents of workplace rage. The term gained popularity due to the movie Clueless (1995) by Amy Heckerling.
Obviously, Jon, the postal workers who caused this slang were cooped up indoors, unlike yourself, a free range chicken, uh, mailman. grinning smiley

Onyx, your anger is completely justifiable in my opinion. I would have done the same thing. I'm impressed that the kid got out and started cleaning it up instead of sassing you back. Good for you. There's a place for anger, and this was it.

my comments come on the heels of 2 local "teen pranks" which have caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to the environmental areas my husband supervises. His budget has nothing in it for replacement, so the damage done is permanent. Snotted
May 10, 2011 01:27PM
Shelley so you have seen the picture of me wearing shorts. And Onyx I agree with Shelley you anger was completely justified....
May 15, 2011 02:27AM
Jon, that photo is embedded in my brain forever....... (said with great endearment, heh)
May 18, 2011 06:59AM
hmmm!?

My first thought of 'loosing' ones anger was an old term I used to use but haven't heard it for a very long time is that of - "Going Ballistic" tantrum

I must be getting 'long in the tooth' or something cause people think up the weirdest expressions. Some i think we could well remember have now been 'robbed' by todays generations and mean dreadful things!

So with the fingers showing the correct direction "Peace be with you"

LH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost