Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

The Voyage

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
The Voyage
December 05, 2010 07:18PM
My big girl (Princess) won tickets from the local Christian radio station to a "special prescreening" of Voyage of the Dawn Treader; the third in the Chronicles of Narnia movie series by Walden media. So her and I traveled 3.5 hours to Wellington in order to see it - she was so looking forward to it!

I was able to spend a lot of time with my big girl, which was great, and do some quick work for a client whilst I was there. Then we went to find parking, and trotted down to the cinema.

The movie? Awful. They murdered a perfectly good story. Chopped it up, and reassembled it so that it was an unrecognisable monster. Just yuk. Terrible acting, terrible directing and camera work, terrible story line. I give it 3 out of 10, and that only for the computer graphics that go into some of the major characters.

On the long drive home Princess and I dissected the movie thoroughly. She has a good eye for these things, and could easily be an IMDB critic winking smiley so I will let her tell you about it in her own words!

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: The Voyage
December 05, 2010 08:48PM
Oh So thats where ya been! - Wellington!! so much for the 'free ticket' plus fuel, plus food, plus parking fees plus....did I miss anything? Oh yeh 'watch out for the buses' They have changed directions for two way travel on some of the inner city streets - only a few folk have been hit so far!

Shame about the movie - they had a expos a of it on TV last night and seemed ok... then again you only get clips. Sad to here.
Welcome home again.

LH
December 06, 2010 01:45AM
December 06, 2010 03:10AM
Yeah I read a review of it that said it was a BIG disappointment. Seeing's how the Chron. of Narnia are my all-time favorite books, and I've read them many times, and see them all in my head.....it would be pretty hard for them to make movies that could live up to my imagination! Still though, I will say Tilda Swinton did a fabulous White Witch.
January 07, 2011 02:20AM
I absolutely LOVE C of N. I just finished rereading the whole set.

I agree with Shell, that it would be impossible to make a movie that measured up to a story like that! Especially Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I actually thought they did quite well with it, considering how difficult it would have been to tie all those island episodes together--each segment and stop on an island almost could have been a movie in itself. I will say that if you haven't read the book, and recently at that, you would never be able to understand the story line.

I am glad you got to experience it with your daughter, though, Onyx, and have the opportunity to discuss it with her. Priceless. Neither of you will forget the time you shared together.

Agree with Shell about the white witch. Superb.

W.I.P. (Work in Progress)
Learning to Live LOVED
January 07, 2011 12:10PM
It's my youngest fav set of films so we went and enjoyed it, I get slightly unnerved by aslans Irish accent!, I have been persuaded by shell to read the books as never have, so bought set of audio versions which we are listening to as a family every Sunday tea time in front of an open fire
January 07, 2011 02:37PM
Oh what a perfect way to experience Narnia!

W.I.P. (Work in Progress)
Learning to Live LOVED
January 07, 2011 05:22PM
J(uk)
... bought set of audio versions which we are listening to as a family every Sunday tea time in front of an open fire

Great Idea!! I love audio books, since it allows me to draw or wash dishes or whatever while I enjoy them.
This would be a SUPER series for that! :-) Thanks for the reminder.

I expect this will be one of those "I'll never forget when"s for your kids. Group Hug
January 07, 2011 09:22PM
Oh!!!! The audio sounds DELICIOUS!!!!!!! I shall look into as well!!!!
January 08, 2011 05:35PM
Audio version: get the one with all the famous British actors each reading one of the books. Wow! Patrick Stewart, Lynn Redgrave, Kenneth Branagh, Michael York, Derek Jacobi, Alex Jennings and (awesome) Jeremy Northam. It was worth the money spent, I've listened to it 3 times and never get tired of it.

J, what do you mean,

I get slightly unnerved by aslans Irish accent
? everybody knows God is Irish. grinning smiley
January 08, 2011 09:05PM
hahaha -- Hysterical
In the clay-mation Passion drama "The Miracle Maker", Peter has a serious Scottish brogue.
Love the movie, but can't get used to a Scottish Peter. grinning smiley

[www.hulu.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2011 09:08PM by Theresa7.
January 08, 2011 10:32PM
We have a comedian called al Murray the pub landlord who says the pope may live in Italy but we all know Jesus is english! Re mr nielson it maybe his Jedi past
January 09, 2011 09:26PM
LOL!!! My son's just gave me the weirdest look when I advised them that I didn't know that Liam Nieson is the voice of Aslan. Obviously I am way out of touch.
I wonder if he (Liam) has a 'god complex' with the roles he plays. (Ya know - Jedi's being 'at one with the force' and then Aslan being 'God').

Regarding the accents - yes - very peculiar to hear religious -themed characters with accents - but consider this:-

a) how boring movies would be if everyone had a 'flat' accent - (not sure if you have ever heard one from Cape Town - South Africa - but theirs is VERY flat - I like it though)

b) who then would set the standard of which accent should take precedent (I must admit - even though American English is probably the most understood - it's pretty boring - nothing like a good Irish accent - okay, I'm biased)

c) how many would watch 'religious' based movies if the characters all had a Jewish/English accent (some are really difficult to understand) I'm meaning ones who still live in Israel - not ones who have spent much time in an English speaking country and have assimilated the accent of that country....

d) how many were shocked when reading 'The Shack' to discover that God was a black woman??? (Yeek - that messed with my head).
January 09, 2011 09:41PM
I guess in the end unless you have had an audible encounter of god speaking to you, your expectation will be that how god speaks is how you hear in in your head.

I always think it is unfair that famous actors known for thier looks acting ability get to do voice overs when some less blessed with looks or fame could do it equally well. I think linking him with all his other roles made it difficult to see him just as aslan.

Re his god complex, you could add Schindler and Zeus.
January 09, 2011 10:43PM
Yeeek!!!!!!

In general, I hate seeing a movie of a book I have read - the voices are always wrong.

I totally agree with your comment..... I always think it is unfair that famous actors known for their looks/acting ability get to do voice overs, when some less blessed with looks or fame could do it equally well
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost