Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Encouraging the servers

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
Encouraging the servers
June 18, 2010 08:29PM
Yesterday we were in our capital city, Wellington. We arrived by train, and I took the children to the zoo by bus whilst wifey went to do some genealogical research. The weather was typically miserable for this city ; rain, cold wind. But what I found most disturbing was the grumpiness of the city dwellers towards those who serve them on the trains and the bus. Surly grunts were in place of polite communication, and the lack of thanks was deafening! Bad day So I felt to go out of my way to thank them for the good job they do. They seemed to appreciate it, and I got some smiles Happy Dance

Why do the big city dwellers take for grunted (pun intended) those who are around them serving them?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: Encouraging the servers
June 19, 2010 03:30AM
moral of the story - dont live in the big cities

If God can use a donkey, then He can use an ass like me!
June 19, 2010 12:29PM
Seems like whenever someone in New York calls me at my job, I get this "attitude" from them, that I should drop whatever I'm doing and cater to their every wish. Now, mind you, this is just telephone, not person to person, but I have heard that NY people can be very surly.

Maybe it's the exhaust from all those fossil fuels, going to their heads.
June 19, 2010 01:31PM
Shell, unfortunately a lot of the east coast is this way. And I don't understand it, since I am from the midwest.
I just try to be nice to everyone out here, sometime they stop dead because you are nice to them.

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
June 19, 2010 03:29PM
Yup we tend to be a little more laid back out here on the west coast. Let's face it life in the big city is just exhausting at times. I wonder about cramming everyone into such a small geographical location. It is hard to have your personal space, and you tend to see everyone in a less personal and human, (humane) way cause there are so many of them that you can't relate to them on a personal level.

I can remember when I first moved to the big city, from my small town. I found it overwhelming to know that of all the crowds, the hundreds and thousands of faces and people that I saw in the city, no one knew my name or story or really cared. Living in that type of setting does numb ones senses to the humanness that we all share. Possibly one explanation for the grumpiness you experienced on your visit to the big city. ( or maybe it's just the weather)Happy!
June 19, 2010 07:25PM
Well, I think that everywhere we go there's someone with an attitude, and it sure makes those who are cheerful stand out!!!!! I was thinking about that the other day when I was walking, and a car drove by with an older, rather plain looking lady driving, with the biggest, most gorgeous smile. She cheered me. I have become so isolated these last years, that I find it a challenge to bring a smile on someone's face where ever I do go. It just seems as if it's so easy, and so pleasant..... perhaps it's contagious!!!!
June 20, 2010 12:42AM
Behind every grumpy, tense, anxious face there is a story waiting to be told, and a ministry waiting to be received. Papa loves each one, and it might very well be that He has given ME the key to unlock it all if I will just be brave enough to reach out and take a risk.

W.I.P. (Work in Progress)
Learning to Live LOVED
June 20, 2010 03:37PM
And maybe there's nothing so big as a "ministry", but there's just lightening someone's load for minute. Everyone I see is carrying a heavy load. I don't know what it is, but it's there. Recently I've been aware that Jesus wants me to learn from him to be gentle and humble in heart, so I can walk in time with him and lighten loads.

Yesterday my load was lightened, so I know how great it feels. I was driving along with my windows down, with Prince on the CD player, enjoying an orange. Came up to an stoplight and heard someone in the next car singing along with my music. Looked over and there was a huge black woman who grinned at me and said, "When Doves Cry! You go girl! Look at you with your Prince on!" and it just made me laugh and I yelled over to her "Don't you just love Prince!" or something and we had this Moment of getting each other........it made my whole day.

I want to do that for people.
Re: Encouraging the serversBoogieBoogie
June 27, 2010 11:40PM
June 28, 2010 03:08AM
That's pretty cool. I couldn't help but think of the movie, Remember the Titan's as I read your post Shell. It was amazing to see some of those kids from such different backgrounds start to get each other. Sounds like it would have made your day.

Jon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost