Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Life happens

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
Life happens
May 14, 2010 10:50PM
Sorry I've not been around lately guys..."life happens" at the moment...just got back from my Aunty's funeral, and had a stack of work to do (which is good, it keeps the kids fed!).

I travelled to Auckland for the funeral, and stayed with my parents. My "little bro'" is also staying there at the moment, so it was kind of like old times, and we got into as much philosophical/theological discussion as we could winking smiley Mum and Dad are Anglican, bro is agnostic, and they are all wondering what the heck I am Rofl ... considering Mum+Dad became Christians because of the religion that I was following!!! Now they are a little shocked to see me drop kick the religion in favour of the relationship.

Also had a great chat with Mark, as he had to drive to Auckland, so I caught a lift grinning smiley ... we discussed much of his life, the "church life", etc.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: Life happens
May 15, 2010 01:00AM
It sounds like you maybe had more in common with your agnostic brother than your church-going parents. ??!! Do your parents understand about the relationship with Papa? (have they read The Shack?) or any other of 'our' books winking smiley
May 15, 2010 01:14AM
Yeah, you'd be right there Shell. But I'm betwixt the two really, as bro doesn't want to know God yet, and the parents are asking questions now, which is great. I've recommended the books, but no they haven't wanted to go there just yet. No worries, times are in His hands.

My other bro is going to an Anglican "only for the intellectual discussion", when he now doesn't believe at all, although he used to be a nuttier religionist than I was. But his wife wants to go somewhere too, so it suits both of them. Unfortunately I cannot understand either of their thinking processes there...going to a VERY religious institution because it is a very religious institution...HUH?????? Never mind, stopped trying to second guess that brother a long time ago winking smiley - love him, though!

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
May 15, 2010 03:25PM
I read somewhere that there's a resurgence of interest, especially among younger people, in the very ritualized, liturgical churches, like Greek Orthodox, Catholic, Anglican. One of the reasons speculated upon for this was that the evangelical churches with their seeker-friendly approach, have dumbed God down to the lowest common denominator and taken all the mystery out of Him. And these people are craving the God who is not your buddy, who is mysterious and unknown. So candles and incense and stuff sort of support that.

It kinda makes sense, doesn't it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost