Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Of Geeks and Humans

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
Of Geeks and Humans
January 26, 2010 10:19PM
I've been at a geeky conference for the past 5 days, and it was very interesting for me - I've never been with so many fellow geeks at one time, so it was eye-opening to see how geeks relate to one another.

Check this out : [www.stanford.edu] as it is highly accurate, if you want to understand why geeks appear awkward socially Hysterical.

And I learnt something about myself from all of this too; that I am not as socially awkward as most geeks, in fact acting as an interpreter, making sure that the non-geek gets an explanation that they are happy with.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: Of Geeks and Humans
January 27, 2010 01:52PM
That was most enlightening. I see that I know quite a few geek-ish people and a few genuine geeks. Interestingly enough, my ex-husband could accurately be described as a geek, and my now-husband is geek-ish. I think geek-ish people are very sweet and interesting and I would much rather spend time with a geek than, say a jock, who has nothing on his mind but the next football game.

Onyx, I think you're geek-ish. You're not quite over the line into full-blown geek. That is probably why you could interpret. Although I DID see one proof of geek-dom:
Stanford guy
Geeks love to offer technical advice and opinions, even when people don't solicit it (e.g., "You should really switch to Firefox"winking smiley.
Big Hug!
January 27, 2010 07:19PM
Rofl

- Lenny Bruce
Anonymous User
January 27, 2010 08:44PM
TOO funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Rofl
It turns out though, Onyx, that you were absolutely right...and I am glad I switched!!!
January 27, 2010 08:53PM
I am glad you are enjoying firefox, Phoebe! Do check out Add-Ons : [addons.mozilla.org] to add even more functionality to Firefox; it's one of the benefits of the program.

- Lenny Bruce
January 30, 2010 08:24AM
You know, my take on things is that those at the conference were passionate people, some even calling themselves evangelists in the sense of supporting and believing in the software and what it can do.

So there was one guy that I would term as a geek - sandal and sock wearer; and there were some who had been designing websites for years that really did know some nitty gritty esoteric stuff, but in the end we were all people with a common purpose.

What struck me was the high level of appreciation each had for the other - for what they had to say or contribute. There seemed to be a genuineness about everyone (not just a select few). This was refreshingly different from any formal environment I have been in for the last decade (or perhaps because I haven't been in any formal environment!!). People were even honest enough to put their hand up and admit that there were things they did not know and ask questions.

Perhaps it has something to do with the nature of the software not being proprietary or something - that it always evolves and is organic in that regard.

If 'original church' was like that conference - man, I'd be back in a flash! Instead 'church' seems more like a proprietary software convention, where there is only one right way, you have to pay for it, you have to work up the levels of certification, and if you don't have it they'd like you to think that you can't do your job properly!
January 31, 2010 01:50AM
Good Post!

- Lenny Bruce
January 31, 2010 05:06PM
That article was written about my husband and me. grinning smiley
February 08, 2010 10:10AM
It has often been said that managing programmers(or any geeks) is like herding cats. With that in mind, check this out:

- Lenny Bruce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost