Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

If one eats the fruit . is it wise to curse the tree ?

Posted by Michael Collum 
Recent Messages
If one eats the fruit . is it wise to curse the tree ?
September 19, 2009 02:13PM
Lately i've been looking at the writings the preceded canonization,

I find it weird that people say . oh the bible is the word of God, but denounce the stuff that nurtured the people who decided what would be in the book and what wouldn't .

There is a lot of stuff that was used in the beginning of the christian faith that would have been helpful earlier in my walk .

For example the Gospel of Thomas (not to be mistaken as the Childhood Story of Jesus also attributed to Thomas) strings a number of wisdom sayings and sayings of Jesus together . the document was in heavy use before canonization and was even translated into other languages like the synoptics (Mark, Luke, Matthew) when communicating the good news cross culturally . The Gospel of Thomas appears to be of a similar mindset as the John Gospel .

Thomas uses a metaphor that is kinda hard to grasp kinda like the John of the John Gospel uses high lofty language to get his message across regarding being born again . Thomas touches on the idea of "women becoming as men" and "men as women" which is a very literal interpretation of Galatians 3:28 with strong emphasis on the "no longer" and an application of the discourse in Luke where Jesus accepts Mary of Bethany as His disciple and goes so far as to say "she has chosen the better thing (vs getting back in the kitchen) and it will not be taken away from her." Back then it was customary that a disciple would become a rabbi at length . If it weren't for the Gospel of Thomas and the other texts that were in high usage prior to canonization . who knows what kind of bible we would have .

In light of this i see the The New Testament part of the christian bible as a finished product after 300+ years of spiritual research .

A question that comes to mind is what agenda does one have . if one "blesses the fruit but curses the tree, or curses the fruit but blesses the tree" what is their agenda?

The Gospel of Thomas would have been helpful much much earlier when i was just figuring things out because it deals with some of the more esoteric parts of the synoptic gospels and takes them "too literally" and gives great insight to those who might actually think this way . I get the impression the early faith took Jesus at His word way too literally for today's western rationalistic society . Perhaps a change is needed?

All such changes begin within, for from the heart does one interpret with their mind . and out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks . so as it was then so it is now . the answer lies in Jesus who changes peoples lives and hearts when they trust in Him with their complete totality . I trust in Jesus to bring such changes in me . and then ripple what reflects His nature outward .

Hope you all are well .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2009 02:40PM by Michael Collum.
Re: If one eats the fruit . is it wise to curse the tree ?
September 22, 2009 10:04AM
Good Post! Is this not the problem when one worships the created ( the bible in this case) , rather than the Creator? Should we be putting these scriptures on a pedestal, instead of acknowledging that it was by human hands that they were written, through human filters, and collated by humans...hmmm, don't see any chance for infallibility there, do you? Hmmmm winking smiley

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: If one eats the fruit . is it wise to curse the tree ?
September 22, 2009 10:19AM
[sarcasm] Oh .. no .. not at all winking smiley winking smiley ;D [/sarcasm]

Hope you all are well .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost