Advanced

Religious Texts and Hypocrisy

Posted by Michael Collum 
Recent Messages
Religious Texts and Hypocrisy
September 24, 2009 01:16AM
Moved this topic from the Qu'ran topic because it is a great topic unto itself

Hope you all are well .

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 01:46AM by Michael Collum.
Re: Reading Qu'ran .. Hmm this is intriguing .
September 24, 2009 12:11AM
Michael
just as much as there is substance to those who use this text as an occaision for violence and taking another's life or even plans of mass genocide . i figure if something that bad can come out of it . it must be reflecting something good in an opposite sense .

it is not so much the text or the interpretation but the heart that reads and interprets .
I'm thinking about the Bible this same way. Many Christians would say that the Bible is the TRUE word of God and the Qu'ran is false; they would say the Qu'ran readers are our enemies and that what they interpret from the Qu'ran justifies them doing violence.
What about all the Christians denouncing, vilifying, rejecting, hating homosexuals. Doing violence because their interpretation of the Bible tells them to.

My Mom's church is splitting because the denomination has decided to allow gays in committed relationships to become pastors. This ruling only affects churches who WANT a gay-in-a-committed-relationship to be their pastor. All the rest can just go about their bizness. Still, many in Mom's church think it "sends the wrong message to young people" and therefore are leaving.

Religious fundamentalism is Pharaseeism no matter if it's based on the Bible or the Qu'ran. In My OpinionBible grinning smiley
Re: Religious Texts and Phariseeism
September 24, 2009 01:31AM
yeah good point about phariseeism or as Jesus called it "child of hellism" . winking smiley

and on another note ..

my parents left the denom i was in when i was a kid because of that same issue . they allowed homosexual pastors and a lot of people left . it just wasn't what they believed at the core anymore so there you have it . at the basis of the faith is an emblem of a marriage between Jesus and a Bride which is the church . and the created order began a certain way . though this kinda stuff doesn't bug me as much . i understand why on at least two levels why some may still feel "unnerved" at anything that undermines their idea of sexuality or the family . who really goes that deep?

i wish everyone did . but quite often people believe what they do because of surface level factors influenced by deep rooted factors they have no control over .

Thanks C Shell smiling smiley

Hope you all are well .

Re: Religious Texts and Hypocrisy
September 24, 2009 01:48AM
But seriously,

Hypocrisy is a huge problem even in regular society . as a people God has called as His own . you'd think we'd be a refuge for those trying to escape that .

Hope you all are well .

September 24, 2009 02:21AM
Michael
you'd think we'd be a refuge for those trying to escape that .
Yeah, You'd THINK!

The thing about homosexuality is, it's just one thing. And the fundagelicostals (as Onyx likes to call them, or something like that) make it THE BIG THING. Why? maybe fear of the 'stranger', the one who's "not like me". I don't know, but they rarely seem to face the fear. Instead they whip out the Word and quote chapter and verse and in the process, they do violence. They say stuff like "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" and that sarcasm is violence.

I don't want to rant or blast anybody. But weren't the Pharisees the only people Jesus spoke strongly and harshly to?
Matt 23:4
They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger.
September 24, 2009 03:25AM
I understand C Shell,

i don't agree with their methods either .

i tend to disagree with the way they come to their conclusion .

and even if i can with my own method show that it is a sin . from the root of what Jesus said it is . as James said in his letter . i shouldn't show favoritism . all sins are the same in God's eyes

so i just take a less ---> Excited Snotted tantrum Bible Horsey eye popping smiley <---- approach ..

and remember Jesus began with love Luv and ended with love . Luv

so i'll model that as much as He has grown in me .

Hope you all are well .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 03:35AM by Michael Collum.
September 24, 2009 05:59AM
CShell
And the fundagelicostals (as Onyx likes to call them, or something like that)
Tomato Ok, ya got me! I call them mentalfundalists too. I love Spoonerisms. I am what Dr Spooner would have referred to as a "Shining Wit" Hysterical

But you know, it's hypocritical of me to call them any sarcastic names like that...because I wouldn't want to be treated in that way. So how then do we parse the Whitewashed Tombs comments that Christ makes? Was Christ advocating calling people names? Or is it ok to do so, when pointing out to the people the danger of following them?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
September 24, 2009 12:23PM
Michael the Wise
Jesus began with love and ended with love.
Thanks for reminding me, I need that about every other minute. No, make that EVERY minute.

Onyx the Poser of Good Questions
So how then do we parse the Whitewashed Tombs comments that Christ makes? Was Christ advocating calling people names? Or is it ok to do so, when pointing out to the people the danger of following them?
Jesus is love, but he called them names, called out their deeds and behavior. The truth of this eludes me.

When talking to a very-entrenched-in-church friend about sinners, I made a comment that we ought to love them, period, end of story. She replied, "But we also have a responsibility to God and to them to point out their sin." I should have asked her to give me "chapter & verse" Laughing but I didn't want to get into an argument.

I'm confused on this issue.
September 24, 2009 12:30PM
Yeah i used to say Evangelicals not enough evang and too much gellical . but i think when Jesus called the Pharisees a whitewashed tomb it was a direct comment on their "fruit" and not so much a name calling move .. Jesus in doing so tells them what they do in connection with the comment . in using an inside joke label as an off-the-cuff remark in a conversation . it doesn't even have the potential to edify . its just name calling . from what i get anyway .

The impression i get from Jesus regardless of what He said it seems the attitude to have is . say what you're saying or just listen .

Hope you all are well .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 12:32PM by Michael Collum.
September 24, 2009 12:35PM
I understand also in a politically charged and correct world . sarcasm seems to be a very over used weapon . Elijah used it . but is it something that the new nature is to bring out in us?

Hope you all are well .

September 25, 2009 01:32AM
Michael
Sarcasm seems to be a very over used weapon . Elijah used it . but is it something that the new nature is to bring out in us?
No, I don't think so. Sarcasm is thinly veiled anger. Sarcasm and mockery show contempt. I don't think we're supposed to hold any of Papa's children in contempt.

I am a very sarcastic person. Papa has talked to me about this. It's one of my sins-that-so-easily-entangle-me.

Sarcasm is EVERYwhere. Where would modern standup comedy be without it? Jay Leno and David Letterman would be out of a job. Not to mention House Republican Leader John Boehner, the most sarcastic man in US politics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost