Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

The Roman Catholic Catechism

Posted by Michael Collum 
Recent Messages
The Roman Catholic Catechism
September 23, 2009 10:14PM
[www.vatican.va]

Papa said in the shack "ritual is nothing" . so i'll go back to the Qu'ran as the Spirit so leads . i'll look into the Catechism today .

in the Apostolic Constitution i noticed something interesting:

"A catechism should faithfully and systematically present the teaching of Sacred Scripture, the living Tradition in the Church and the authentic Magisterium, as well as the spiritual heritage of the Fathers, Doctors and saints of the Church, to allow for a better knowledge of the Christian mystery and for enlivening the faith of the People of God. It should take into account the doctrinal statements which down the centuries the Holy Spirit has intimated to his Church. It should also help to illumine with the light of faith the new situations and problems which had not yet emerged in the past. "

They don't rely only on 1) the scripture but also on 2) their particular tradition 3) the group of people appointed (by whom? i will not say winking smiley ) to communicate God's will to the church (Magisterium) 4) as well as what was contributed by the experts who were inspired by the Holy Spirit in the past .

Now, even though this is a closed model to a particular group of people who were born into certain types of families who would be ahead of the game enough to even begin to be eligible for this kind of position . it gives a good picture of a family that learns from past lessons and still believes that the Holy Spirit talks to the people called in Jesus name . The way in which it is chronicled

"Given 11 October 1992, the thirtieth anniversary of the opening of the Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, in the fourteenth year of my Pontificate."

is very book of kings .

of course as per their revelation Mary is given central focus in the conclusion and Jesus is not mentioned by name but as "the incarnate word" can't say i'm much of a protestant anymore . i tend to emphasize Jesus Christ of Nazareth . and i'm sure their forefathers did also winking smiley the idea of the revelation of God not being controllable is the reason why the Catholic Church still writes as if they are writing scripture .

Whether that be true or not . is up to the eye of one filled with light to discern .

Since i don't mind the idea of people learning stuff that cannot be seen from scripture exclusively .. but from the Father as Jesus so learned "everything" this doesn't bug me as much .

Hope you all are well .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2009 10:35PM by Michael Collum.
Re: The Roman Catholic Catechism
September 23, 2009 10:28PM
[www.vatican.va]

Above all - Charity

25 To conclude this Prologue, it is fitting to recall this pastoral principle stated by the Roman Catechism:

The whole concern of doctrine and its teaching must be directed to the love that never ends. Whether something is proposed for belief, for hope or for action, the love of our Lord must always be made accessible, so that anyone can see that all the works of perfect Christian virtue spring from love and have no other objective than to arrive at love.

You know .. even reading through this short summary of how one should read the catechism . i realize that the apple does not fall very far from the tree . what i mean is: read a protestant statement of belief or discipleship book (or catechism is effectively a discipleship book by virtue of what it means) . nothing in there is essentially really all that bad . it is just there is so much written that people with agendas and other points of view . strain at a gnat and swallow the whole camel .

so in the end of all matters what matters . is what is done . and what is said . what is written is a seed . but our actions are the fruit . and they are what change the world for better or worse .

time to meditate and do other stuff .

blessings,

-Michael

Hope you all are well .

September 24, 2009 12:09AM
I've not studied the Catholic teachings to any depth, but always wondered why, in the Protestant church, there were so many ex-catholics. Why did they swap one religious control system for another?

Also thought this was interesting from their Apostolic Constitution:

Christ is always present in his Church, especially in the sacraments;

Huh? He is more in the sacraments? Is that not blasphemy, telling God that He is more in a religious ceremony than elsewhere? Or am I misunderstanding things?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
September 24, 2009 12:26AM
Well, I grew up Lutheran, and we had 2 sacraments: Baptism and Holy Communion. The reason they were "sacraments" is because Jesus commanded them, and they "used visible elements to confer invisible grace."

These 2 things mean a whole lot to the people in the church I grew up in. I think you can have a pure heart and see God in sacraments, and you can have a pure heart and see God in the face of a man dying of AIDS or have a pure heart and see God in a spider's web.

so how do I get a pure heart? i want one a those.
September 24, 2009 01:11AM
To the pure everything is pure .

blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God

now to read between the lines

blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God in everything .

Sacraments come from another origin Onyx . its deep in the spiritual realm . what it is now . is nothing compared to what it once was . but .. it is the heart that is the prism .. that colours our experience .

and btw .. Jesus did say . my body is real food and by blood is real drink . and if they want to take that literally . that's fine .

last time i took communion the thought occurred to me .. is it his body or representative of his body when i remember Him in doing it? and i realized the answer was .. the philosophical yes .

Hope you all are well .

September 24, 2009 01:23AM
Just think of Protestantism as many apples that fell from the tree of Catholocism .

as i looked through the pages of the Catechism i found many protestant narrow views within the Catholic Broad Spectrum and some stuff that was in the bible that i don;t think there was a denom for .

and think of

the Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons and other similar organizations as apples that fell from the orchard of Protestantism

perhaps it was the soil (heart) that influenced the seed (word) ? as the parable so eloquently says .

Hope you all are well .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost