Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

The Three Gates

Posted by C Shell 
Recent Messages
The Three Gates
September 21, 2009 05:04PM
I remembered yesterday (a little too late to save me from creating a mess) about the 3 Gates. It's a guideline that's probably been around for a long time; I heard about it in 12-Step programs.

We could prevent ourselves from harming others with our words by asking ourselves three questions before we speak:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it necessary?

And if what we're about to say doesn't get a yes on all three, we keep our lips zipped.

It's not in the Bible or anything, but it makes a lot of sense. The advantage we're supposed to have as Papa's children, is the Holy Spirit, there to help us determine what true, kind and necessary are in any given situation.

What do you think? --does this common sense guideline have merit?
Re: The Three Gates
September 21, 2009 06:36PM
it has merit but . it still works in a relative framework .

it could seem true to us . it could seem we are being kind saying what needs to be said . and it could seem necessary because no one else is saying it .

but there are holes .

i could see it working most of the time though

Hope you all are well .

September 21, 2009 08:24PM
C Shell
I remembered yesterday (a little too late to save me from creating a mess) about the 3 Gates. It's a guideline that's probably been around for a long time; I heard about it in 12-Step programs.

We could prevent ourselves from harming others with our words by asking ourselves three questions before we speak:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it necessary?

And if what we're about to say doesn't get a yes on all three, we keep our lips zipped.

It's not in the Bible or anything, but it makes a lot of sense. The advantage we're supposed to have as Papa's children, is the Holy Spirit, there to help us determine what true, kind and necessary are in any given situation.

What do you think? --does this common sense guideline have merit?

I like it...at the very minimum it gives us a framework to go by.
Philippians 4:8 (New American Standard Bible)

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
September 27, 2009 09:32PM
I am trying to teach my 12 yr old daughter these simple thing because she will say whatever is on her mind without think how it sounds or will make the other person feel. To me if it sounds mean then it is mean no matter what you meant or how you meant it.
September 27, 2009 11:07PM
Ahhh, 12 year olds, and mean words....seem to go hand in hand. At least in my experience, and I was one of the worst at that age. It's the time in life you are least sure of yourself; you don't know who you are but you want desperately to be liked, so you ally yourself with one group or person against another just so you'll be "in" something.

Good for you, dogwoodflwr, for trying to address the issue with your daughter, and the 3 Gates seem like a good, simple way to do that. Also helping her see and feel how much Papa loves her. I didn't have that at 12, I think it might have made a difference in the way I acted toward others, not to mention in how I saw myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost