Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

I thought it was God....

Posted by Theresa7 
Recent Messages
I thought it was God....
March 07, 2011 05:39PM
Have you ever done something / shared something with others that you thought was SO good and SO God, but now... not so much?

Years ago -- before our exodus from the IC and release from much religious thinking -- I had an epiphany.

I shared this epiphany in a Christmas letter. It was probably more of a sermon than a letter, but I shared what was on my heart and what I thought would help others grow (like me Barf). I shared that I had already been given all the tools I needed in my Christian life, and that there was no need for me to keep seeking out more answers (i.e. there was no excuse for failure). I used the analogy of our storage unit which had everything we needed to run a home. So, why did I feel compelled to go to Walmart and buy some cheap imitation, when I already owned what I needed? <-- that was sort of the gist of it.

Well, I was wrong, obviously. That Storage of knowledge and principles were actually hindering me from encountering a living and active father who wanted me to rest rather than use "tools" to accomplish something.

Interesting: A few months later, there was a fire in our storage unit. We lost almost everything in there. Then the question was: How much of what I have stored in my spiritual tool shed will burn too?
Re: I thought it was God....
March 07, 2011 06:47PM
oooo good one, T. Sorry you had to lose the stuff in your storage unit to learn that one, heh.

Once I had this revelation of a prism -- you know how when light hits a prism it's broken up into all the colors of the rainbow. And I saw how God is light and Jesus is the prism who makes God visible in all his colors.

That's fine as far as it goes, even "backed up" by Hebrews 1:3. But then I thought God wanted me to (this is embarrassing) go through the Bible and list all his names and/or attributes and write a book with each chapter being a name. Like a chapter on Abba, a chapter on Almighty, etc. etc. I guess it wasn't a BAD way to spend my time, doing Bible research, but I think what I got wrong was thinking that God needed me to explain his colors. Because there's a way you can get your nose so close to the page, you miss the story as a whole.

So I gave it up after 3 years, during which time I only got halfway thru the B's. Who knows, maybe I'll pick it up again someday with a different slant.

God-knowledge, God-relationship, is so progressive. We never can go with the old stuff we had yesterday, it's already outdated, because He is always new, fresh, wild and never-to-be-boxed!
March 07, 2011 11:34PM
My feeling is that god is constant and constantly moving, what god spoke to you yesterday or a year ago where you were at is different to what he says to you today, but with the same central truth, Love.

Rob bells book the velvet elvis talks of him having a picture of elvis in a velvet outfit, but he recognises that other people have different pictures of elvis at different stages of his life which mean different things to them.

Also someone once did a talk in which he said my interpretation of what god is saying to me, is not what god is saying to you, god will use my words and your own situation to take my interpretation and give it to you to interpret with gods spirit, i love that honesty away from thus says the lord, to i give this to you for god to grow in you whatever he wishes.

So i guess i am saying that we need to allow god to use what we say here and now without alloting a prescribed outcome, someone may completely disagree with what you say and that may cause them to question and find a completely different answer than you had
March 08, 2011 05:16PM
J(uk)
So i guess i am saying that we need to allow god to use what we say here and now without alloting a prescribed outcome, someone may completely disagree with what you say and that may cause them to question and find a completely different answer than you had

I appreciate your openness to where people are at any given point in their lives. I'm not sure if we will disagree on the next part, or if we are just coming at it from different perspectives, but....

Looking at my story of when I thought it was God, but it wasn't -- I really believe now that it was not Him, because it is so contrary to what I know of his character. That "epiphany" led me even more fully down the performance path (i.e. Doing and Reaching for God by WORKing). And although God was with me and forgiving me and loving me through it, I do not believe he LED me there. In fact, I refuse to believe it. That would be cruel of him, and God is not cruel.

I guess I'm saying that I believe we can be wrong about what we think God is saying / doing. I don't believe he is in all things in that way.
Did I miss what you were trying to say, J?
March 08, 2011 11:33PM
I guess my stand point is that you may have been wrong in what you said but that doesnt mean god couldnt use what you said. I have found that god can use anyone and anything even the worst thing imaginable to you. I think if god only spoke through people who were right all the time a lot less would get done. Its people who pounce on you and say thus sayeth the lord or god has told me to tell you xyz i have a problem with its as if they need to justify what they they are about to say
March 09, 2011 04:30PM
Cool. Thanks for explaining J. Seems like we are always closer to agreement when we get to the nitty gritty of it.
God can use anything -- even our mess ups. Yep. I agree. grinning smiley

Anyone else have a story about when you thought something was God, but now.... ???
RoflRe: I thought it was God....
March 10, 2011 11:04AM
Yep I have.

Early morning prayer meeting at the 'church' some years ago. Middle of winter, very cold. Praying 'hard' working intecessory butt off.

I have a bad back condition have had for years. Anyway sending heaps of info Godward and began to feel this warmth on my lower back getting warmer and warmer.
Began to praise God for my healing. Hallelujah, at last a miracle. Was going to testify.......

Turned around in midst of my joy and saw the electric heater only a few inches from my back.......

In my minds eye now, years later, and free from 'some' of the religious thinking I was ensconced in at that time, I can see Jesus falling off the throne and cracking up with laughter and saying "Did you see that one Father, what a hoot".......Rofl.
Re: RoflRe: I thought it was God....
March 10, 2011 12:10PM
That's a great story, Skinny. (or would you prefer Skinnydipping? or just Grace?) I know God and Jesus were cracking up over that one, and not at your expense, just with you. I've had a few of those moments myself and when we all 3 can laugh at me, that's a good time.
March 10, 2011 05:56PM
Funny Post! I like that. I can see them really enjoying that - and NOW, you can too!! Haha good one
March 10, 2011 08:28PM
LaughingLove it!!!

Not funny; but many years ago I thought that God wanted me to join this organisation to do street evangelism. So I went along, and started to 'witness' to others. One young man influenced me incredibly in this when I witnessed to him, and he showed me grace by listening to me patiently, yet not swallowing the bait I was trying to sell him that had the religious hook in it.

I have lost track of the number of times I thought God wanted me to go along to a particular meeting, or spout some terribly pat religious 'encouragement'. Yuk! May Papa excise that from me!!

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
March 11, 2011 12:01AM
another slant one of my pub friends was getting loads of grief about the pagan play he was organising for the whole community, he took himself off to glastonbury tor a very spiritual place in the uk and as he took a drink from a spring at the base of the tor a robin flew in and perched 2 feet from him and they 'talked' coming back from that he changed his mind from scrapping his whole involvement to carrying on and the rest is history, he believes that the robin spoke to him, i believe that the god that made the robin used it to speak to him
March 11, 2011 08:32PM
Hey J (uk) glomp thats for the "thus saith the lord ....." hit the deck winking smiley

Oh Skindips - man I loved that story!

"May the "Heat" be with you .... and no - not the fuzz (cops)!!

LH
March 11, 2011 09:57PM
How can we ever be sure God speaks to us?

I ask this based on the "Model of Communication" which looks something like this:

Person 1 => Understands or experiences something => Says something => Noise *=> Hears something => Filters what they hear based on their understanding or experience => Person 2

then

Person 2 => Through their understanding or experience => Says something => Feedback => Hears the feedback =>Filters it through their experience or understanding => Person 1

Noise * can be background music, other conversations in the proximity, visual diversions, etc.

Therefore if we are always filtering something through our own experience or understanding, how can we be sure we ever hear the purity of the message being sent?
March 12, 2011 12:59AM
For me it is because god is bigger than sin his word truth love will be in existence in spite of our fallen nature. We don't need to be right to prove gods righteousness. Love is far bigger than that, I have found that gods love can speak through the most hardened god hating aethist as much as from a church going preacher. Maybe we need to allow gods love out of the box to rather than seek to justify what god is telling us.
March 12, 2011 03:36AM
There have been a few times that I KNOW it was God... I think this calls for another thread... Yeah
March 18, 2011 05:27AM
Thanks for feedback you guys and girls.
I'm happy for yu'all to call me Eric thats the 'monicker' I have been using for 65 years.

Bit of background, born in England, Kingston on Thames, Surrey in 1946 emigrated to New Zealand 1950. Dad was in Royal Navy and transferred to New Zealand Navy.

First landed in Auckland lived for a few years there then Dad transferred to Christchurch (city which just had devastating earthquake) and have lived for many years now on the beautiful Westcoast of the South Island.

Been investigating the God journey for not quite 12 months having been 'saved' in 1979 from drug and alcholol background plus busted relationships.

Been involved in the 'church' for all those years in various positions in music and admin, committees etc, ouch!!!!

Definition of a committee: "A cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and quietly strangled to death" !!!!!!!!!

Have now been taken off the 'preaching roster' because my new found ideas of God and His Son don't fit the status quo.
Have resigned from all the committees and am being looked at as a 'slightly deluded older person'.

Have been married to my loverly wife since 12th December 1987. My lady is not on this journey but thank God He is.......

B/lonely at times but if God wants me to Himself for a season so be it.
When I sign myself Skinny Dipping in His Grace I REALLY mean it......

Have found again that Person that so captured my heart back in June 1979 when I prayed this prayer. "God, I don't even know if you're there, but would you come into my heart and forgive my sin"
Scariest thing I have ever done. Somehow I knew that if He didn't show up I was 'stuffed'. Guess what, He showed up!!!!

Thats enough for now. One can get on a roll talking about oneself and lose an audience Cheers.
March 18, 2011 07:33AM
Thanks for sharing Eric (sorry I have a friend in uk called skinny)
It's always good to know a bit about the people you grow to love, you do get a sense through posts.
March 18, 2011 11:12AM
Nice to know you a bit, Eric! thanks for telling us about yerself.

Are you still attending a church? (as a slightly deluded older person of course) or have you broken out?

I love your definition of a committee....too true
March 19, 2011 06:33AM
Thanks for clarifying J, due to the lateness of the hour I was starting to get very confused...Hmmmm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost