Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Is this weeding?

Posted by RainFields 
Recent Messages
Is this weeding?
October 06, 2009 10:20PM
I was raised in a certain religion, in this religion things were taught that I'm not sure if they are true or if they are false. These things have been in my thoughts pretty much all my life, I've never really understood them or how to view them. I used to talk to other friends that did not belong to the same religion as I was raised, and they did believe in these things, so they would try to explain to me, always ending with "you really need to come to my church". I believe that in time, Father will deal with all of this stuff, so is it wrong to ask others how they feel about stuff?

I think this post is messed up, if you can understand it, wow...you are awesome. Because I didn't use real words for "things" and "stuff". Brain Fart!
Re: Is this weeding?
October 07, 2009 08:41AM
RainFields
I was raised in a certain religion, in this religion things were taught that I'm not sure if they are true or if they are false. These things have been in my thoughts pretty much all my life, I've never really understood them or how to view them. I used to talk to other friends that did not belong to the same religion as I was raised, and they did believe in these things, so they would try to explain to me, always ending with "you really need to come to my church". I believe that in time, Father will deal with all of this stuff, so is it wrong to ask others how they feel about stuff?

I think this post is messed up, if you can understand it, wow...you are awesome. Because I didn't use real words for "things" and "stuff". Brain Fart!
Good Job...no, seriously! That's why I especially imported the BrainFart icon at great cost from a little man in a back alley in Peking winking smiley -it's for moments like this!

Questioning is the process of doing the weeding as far as I am concerned, and you are questioning the validity of the things that you have been believing for a lifetime. What we are doing with that weeding is going through the garden, as novice gardeners (just like that fella at the beginning of time) but hand-in-hand with Papa, who is a gardening expert. We cannot tell what is weeds from wheat just yet, but we are learning, as he SHOWS us, and then he helps us to uproot it, get rid of its foundation, and stop it from spreading it's poison. But only as he shows us, because he doesn't want us getting rid of good vines, and he knows that some weeds have their root system too entangled with good vines to be removed straight away in a hurry. So we need patience, and perseverance (them horrible P words), with ourselves, and the process.

But he does want us to keep questioning, looking at what is good, bad, profitable, deadly, and keeping hold of what is good and profitable.

I believe that in time, Father will deal with all of this stuff, so is it wrong to ask others how they feel about stuff?
Father will deal with it in time, you are so right! And no, it's not wrong to ask others...but looking at the weeding analogy, we need to be listening to Papa as to how to do that:

Let's say you were particularly fond of this little plant with pretty white flowers and glossy black berries...you watered it daily, made sure it got enough sunlight, and good soil, and for your efforts, it grew really quickly. You are really attached to and proud of this plant. Then some insensitive clot comes along and yells, "AAAAAAH deadly nightshade!!! It's a weed! Kill it, kill it!" How are you going to feel? Indignant? Crushed, humiliated, spiteful, etc ... it will take a long time for the hurt of that encounter to let the truth be known in your heart; that it is actually a weed you had been cultivating so carefully.

But if instead, they had sat down and admired your hard work first, and said perhaps, "Wow, that's a beautiful plant you have there. How long has it taken you to grow that? You must really care for it!" But then they say, "Hmmm, have you watched what fruit this plant brings out, and the effect it has on other plants? Have you checked the fruit for toxins?" They get you to question, rather than telling you what is what.

That is where the institutional church has screwed up so badly in the eyes of the world. We are too busy telling them what is what (and hypocritically not living that out), rather than geting alongside them in love, and helping them to question the fruit of a life without Papa.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
October 07, 2009 02:15PM
I say search the scriptures for yourself . and see where some of it may have come from . all things are grown from a seed . and knowing what seed it comes from may help in understanding why there is such and such fruit .

Hope you all are well .

February 05, 2010 12:47AM
If you believe everything that someone tells you as being "Gospel" then you are either an Ideal "Sheep" or very gullible!

1Th 5:21-22 ISV Instead, test everything. Hold on to what is good, but keep away from every kind of evil.

What then is evil if we fail to recognise what is good or rather the Truth!?
February 06, 2010 07:33PM
Onyx
That is where the institutional church has screwed up so badly in the eyes of the world. We are too busy telling them what is what ... rather than geting alongside them in love, and helping them to question...
I agree. I like your illustration of the deadly nightshade, Onyx.

Jesus was gentle with people, "broken reeds" and "smoking wicks", so he didn't extinguish their faith by mocking their beliefs or stomping on them. But we have often been quick to do that.

I'm still in the process of being dis-illusioned. When I read or hear something that goes against what I've always believed, I don't immediately run away. I sit with it, run it through my system (body,soul,spirit joined with God) to see how it stacks up with the spirit and the word, ask somebody I trust how they see it...most of all trust that Papa covers my mistakes when they're made in a sincere effort to know him better. That means if I reject an old belief for a new one, and find out later that old one was pretty ok, no big deal. Sometimes a bunch of people are talking about an old belief that I've held dear and my first reaction is to be defensive..but I try to calm down and open my mind.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost