Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Wholeheartedness

Posted by C Shell 
Recent Messages
Wholeheartedness
September 12, 2010 05:01PM
Wow, I really needed to read this today.

Richard Rohr
Much of a person’s life is spent going to work, running errands, cleaning house, mowing the lawn, waiting in lines, attending meetings, and tending to the necessary but endless minutia that make up life. We know that we can’t live as if we’re in the middle of an Indiana Jones adventure. We know that much of life is rather dull and repetitive. That’s why it’s so important to be fully present to the ordinary things that keep us going: a movie, a concert, dinner with a friend. Anything you do fully gives you joy. Anything done halfheartedly will bore you. People do not tire from overwork nearly as much as from halfheartedness. Wholeheartedness requires that a person be fully present. And people who are present are most ready to experience the Presence.

In the middle of the ordinary, in the midst of the tedium, if we pay attention to the Presence, we will be blessed by joy, grace, and simple, sustaining pleasures. We no longer need religious highs to know God; the lows and mediums are more than high enough.
Re: Wholeheartedness
September 12, 2010 05:22PM
Wholehearted and open hearted spot the difference

Living Loved Loving Life
September 12, 2010 10:54PM
I can be open hearted, but in a halfhearted way. Not putting my whole self in and shaking it all about, instead doing an adequate job, enough to get by.

I sat in the backyard with a glass of wine on this with Papa, this afternoon. here's some of what I got.

Ecclesiastes 9:10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might...

Colossians 3:23
And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance, for you serve the Lord Christ.

The Ecclesiastes verse is real cynical, after the part above, Solomon sort of says, Do it because there's no work or anything in the grave where you're headed; you might as well give it all the gusto 'cause when you're gone, you're gone.

Paul gives us a better reason to be wholehearted: the joy of doing it for the love of Love Himself, and the "reward of the inheritance"......what's that, I asked him. Well, only sons get inheritances. The inheritance is getting to be a daughter. He really is my Papa, it's not a story happening to someone else.

I know that by virtue of being his daughter, I inherit all that's his, so -- freedom from sin and death and the devil, eternal life -- these are mine. But they're just extras, bonuses, icing on the cake. The cake, the substance, is that He has made me his own daughter, he wanted me that much to arrange it so we could have this relationship.

It follows that everything I do, I do as his beloved. Why do it halfheartedly? Look whose I am, does my Papa do anything halfheartedly? So when, say, making soup, or scrubbing the toilet, I give my whole heart, my whole attention, time, effort; I am walking in my Papa's footsteps, I am honoring Him, and I am close to Him. Like a little boy "helping" his daddy build a shelf. Daddy goes Pound! Pound! Pound! with the hammer. Little son goes Pound! Pound! Pound! with his little hammer, copying his daddy's effort and intensity. Daddy is tickled with his son, loves being with him in this moment, in this work together.

What do you guys think? what is the "reward of the inheritance" to you?
September 14, 2010 02:11AM
Nice thread, Shell! I was just thinking about this whilst working on my computer...dealing with databases, of all things! I came across the fact that I had named the database for the new site on my computer "Papa" ...and my heart heart skipped a beat! "That's my Papa!" I said to myself, just like the 5 year olds do. grinning smiley I don't know why it should hit me all of a sudden like that, when it is really seemingly a small thing, but it's a special moment when I understood being his son. Soppy, eh?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
September 14, 2010 05:07PM
ONe & ONly ONyx
it's a special moment when I understood being his son. Soppy, eh?
if it's soppy then so am I, cuz that's what happened to me Sunday sitting in the youknowwhere with a glass of youknowwhat.
I just "got it" that I really am Papa's daughter; it's not a story happening to someone else.

This whole thing about being wholehearted, this is huge for me. just tellin you that, cuz you're all my pals. Once in awhile I have a breakthrough where Papa gives me a peek into what the rest of my life can be like. And I think he's saying, Let it be wholehearted, not halfhearted.

How much of my life do I live on autopilot? When I'm doing that, where am "I"? My body's here, but the rest of me is..usually off in the future, planning or worrying about something, if I'm honest. Where is Papa? Here in the present, waiting for the whole of me to come together so he can be with me. What if I lived whole-heartedly in each now moment...would I not have a greater sense of his presence, would I not be living where he is?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost