Advanced

Silent God Head Bang

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
Silent God Head Bang
May 26, 2010 10:12AM
What to do when Papa is silent?

Well, what do you do?

Have you faced a time of needing an answer desperately, and the heavens were sealed by iron gates?

Me thinks this is a ripe topic that needs to be plumbed. And no, I haven't got the answers...winking smiley

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: Silent God Head Bang
May 27, 2010 09:53AM
Ok this is a mixture of what I think and what Joshuacorp challenged me with tonight....

'We' have based our ideas about relationship with God upon the portrayal of Jesus living with his disciples and the wider community.

So 'we' think,....hmmm...living in a relationship with Jesus is like what having a cool human friend to chat/skype with is like. You ask questions and are honoured with a response. You need a sounding board and she is there. You want to call her (but don't due to x,y,z) , but even knowing that you could is enough. You describe what you are feeling and when she says "I know" or "I hear you" you know that she means it. Having a cool friend means that even when you don't see each other for a while, nothing changes, you just pick up where you left off.

IF the conversation was one-sided it wouldn't quite work. What if when his disciples asked Jesus a question, he didn't answer them. Wouldn't they doubt that he cared after a while and fall away?

And here is Joshuacorp's challenge to me....but we don't have Jesus, we have the Spirit.

Can't say I have thought much beyond that, but what I am tending towards is understanding that perhaps what Jesus said in John 14. Perhaps what he says the holy spirit is, is the part I missed about re-defining our relationship with God.

[Mind dump]

Ok, so in that part of His Story we are told that the spirit is a counsellor who is always with you. A counsellor to me is someone who is a sounding board. Who doesn't necessary tell you what to do, but reflects what you are saying back and brings up questions to stimulate your own answers.

After coming out of institutionalisation, its weird not to have someone telling you exactly what to do and when to do it. Let's face it, questions are what started this journey for me/us into living OOTB!

I believe that it was Father who brought about that state of mind and circumstances to start asking the questions.

I do however wonder about his tardiness.

Facet number 2 that describes the spirit of God, is that he is truth. So I guess it's like when people are trained to recognise counterfeit bills and do so be focusing on the real thing. They surround themselves with what is pure. Well, we are told that the spirit lives inside of us, so that doesn't relate well to the parallel of 'surrounding ourselves' but I do think that there is something about God that strengthens our resolve to lean towards what is good, and pure and honest and truthful.

Character aspect 3 is that he is the teacher of all things.

I don't know what this means in reality. Those who know me, know that if I want to learn something or find something out I consult the "oracle" ie the internet via my computer.

Therein lies something worth thinking about though .... in order to learn one must want to. Ok, that sounds a bit easier to grasp the concept of...IF we want to learn then God will be instrumental in supporting that. More like a facilitator than a university professor?! He will direct our eyes to see things in a different way (selective perception etc). As he created all things, he knows about all things, and he knows how to aid our learning and discovery where we are each at too?!

John 14: 26 says the spirit is a reminder of what Jesus said.

This may be as 'simple' as someone who brings a part of what we do have written down and can read about Jesus' life to our mind.

Lastly he is the giver of peace. Giving and taking peace - weird concept. I wonder if this is saying that he provides an environment for us that is 'safe'. You know, like when you want to run away and hide in a closet. Or perhaps this is the peace that passes all understanding. Perhaps we can't explain away or humanise this facet of him? I don't even have peace running off to the throne room around here, a knave or lady-in-waiting always finds me - so I am only dreaming of that quiet, safe, peaceful place. It is certainly beyond my understanding!!

"There's no place like home, there's no place like home." LOL

There you have my thoughts and ramblings. Nothing in John 14 says God the spirit is regularly going to be on the other end of the phone, appear in person, text you etc. It does seem to say that the spirit is more inclined to be passive, quiet, and a little more mysterious than the portrayal we have of God in Jesus.

[/Mind dump]

How is this a reply to Onyx's opening post? Well have we interpreted God being silent from how Jesus interacted with his disciples rather than how it suggests the spirit interacts with us?
Re: Silent God Head Bang
May 27, 2010 12:36PM
Yes Wifey I think you're onto something there. We "anthropomorphize" God constantly. I think we have to, cause we're humans and we have to have some frame of reference. So we talk about being in his "hands" or that his "eye" is on us, when he probably doesn't have hands or eyes. In the same way, we have give and take relationships with other humans, so we assume when we ask God something, he should answer us the way other people do.

If my friend doesn't answer my question or request, I think she's ignoring me, which gives me a bad feeling. And assuming God communicates like humans gets me off on the wrong track, thinking he's ignoring me.

For one thing, there's time. He's NOT IN TIME. (That's hard for me to wrap my mind around on a good day.) How does a Being who's not in time communicate with beings that are in time? Can we assume the answer is "not like we expect"? Sometimes we get the answer before we need it, sometimes long after. I believe however, that while he's not in time, he's always ON time. meaning we get his answer at the right time, whether we think it's the right time or not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost