Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

So, what Bible do you use and why?

Posted by joshuacorp 
Recent Messages
So, what Bible do you use and why?
April 20, 2010 09:22AM
I was reading an interesting article today about Bibles, about how the different versions came into been, who they were written by, who were they written for, what was used as their base text etc.

It got me thinking about the Bibles I use, which in turn got me wondering if people really stopped to consider their choice of Bible, and whether they knew its hisory and origins etc.

The article I read does make some strong claims about a number of modern Bibles - but non the less It was still thought provocating enough to add to my list of things to research and study further.

In the meantime, I thought I would ask the following question:

What Bibles are you using and why are you using that particular version?

Look forward to some interesting discussion on and round the matter.

Mark

If God can use a donkey, then He can use an ass like me!
Re: So, what Bible do you use and why?
April 20, 2010 05:43PM
Hi Mark,

In answer to your question my basic ol' pal Bible is a New King James. Mostly because I know where things are on the page by now, so like, if I know the verse I'm looking for is in Ephesians, I can sorta see in my mind what general area it's in on the page, left or right side, etc.

My first Bible was a New American Standard and I have a lot of fondness for that old guy, but his binding fell completely apart. I keep him around cuz there's a lot of stuff written in the margins.

Once in awhile for a fresh perspective I read in The Message.

I tend to not place much importance on the version, it's more what an individual is comfortable with. I personally don't think God cares much either, he mostly wants to have a relationship with us, and if the bible can help, I think he's glad if we read it to know him.
April 20, 2010 07:58PM
hmmmm - i find your last paragraph interesting - does the version we use really not matter?

I think God does care about what we read and use as our guide to journey towards him. A quick search on the history of some of the modern Bibles revealed some interesting and disturbing things about their origins. Don't we have a responsibility to test and check what we are been taught, what we hear - does that not and should that not also apply to what we use as our Bible base / platform for reading from?

While He does want to have a relationship with us, and this can take a number of forms, a major way for us to get to know Him, discover Him and absorb Him into our lives is through His written Word.

I suppose the question about the Bible needs to be asked - do we consider it the Inspired Word of God, originally penned by men, guided by God and given to mankind to help us on our journey towards Jesus, or is it a historical document that gives us a framework but isn't all that essential to our journey towards Jesus?

If we are questioning the validity of the modern church, how it functions, whether the church of today is how God intended church to be, whether His truth is been told in church, then surely we should also be questioning and looking at the book from which those very same institutions are speaking from or using as their basis.

If we are looking for a truer, closer relationship with Him, the creator of all things, then surely we need to be reading from and using as our guide a Bible that is the closet we can get to its original form.

Now to argue with myself I am reminded of an encounter I had on one of my numerous overseas trips. On this particular trip into Asia I meet a man who came from a small tribal village, they had no written form, he couldn't read and yet somehow, one night God revealed Himself to this man and he believed. This man then got up and walked out from his village and has spent the last 20 years walking throughout Asia sharing the Good News of Jesus. He still doesn't own a Bible, he still cant read. Yet his insight, knowledge and Love of God was all consuming for him and one of the most God centered encounters I have ever experienced in my travels.

One another trip, I encountered a believer who had only ever seen a single handwritten written passage of the bible. A single verse, John 3:16. He then shared with me, encouraged me and challenged me for the entire 4hr train trip on just that one verse. He became a believer when he was given that single verse and then proceeded to share it with all, he could. He knew that there was a Bible but had never seen one....yet he lead a powerful Jesus centered life.

Just for the record, I did give him a full Bible in his own language, what he did with it still surprises me today. He gave thanks for it, and then proceed to pull it apart, page by page. He explained that the need was so great for the written Word that he could not keep the whole thing for himself, and that by pulling the book apart and giving out the pages to other believers, that many more would be encouraged and impacted by the written Word of God. He kept for himself the page on which John 3:16 was written.

Here in the west we are surround by choices and technology, Bibles can be printed or electronic based - we have full access to just about every version of the Bible ever written, yet how hungry are we really for His written Word in our own life? How careful are we with it, how cautious are we with the versions we read or give out to others.

Could we survive on our Journey towards Jesus without His written word? Could we survive on having just a single verse in our possession? Is our faith that strong we could - i'm not so sure that is the case for many of us.

So, yes, I think the version of Bible we read is important - we have access to it, we had better make use of it, wisely and on an informed basis .

Anyway, that's what i am thinking about at this point today.

April 20, 2010 11:20PM
Hi dude, we covered a lot of that here: [papashome.com]

I've come from the camp that believed some specific versions were cursed from the beginning. But now I have learnt from experience that God can use anything he likes to talk to me, and often does...even donkeys. grinning smiley And so, like yourself, I argue that the Bible is not actually central to faith, but rather a handy tool. The church of today has too often elevated it to the status of The Word; making it as Jesus, therefore an idol.

I still feel fond of my NASB, which is why I am using it through the Bible search tool at the top of the page. I started out with the NIV...and that just feels like legalism on pages now. Barf

Mark
If we are questioning the validity of the modern church, how it functions, whether the church of today is how God intended church to be, whether His truth is been told in church, then surely we should also be questioning and looking at the book from which those very same institutions are speaking from or using as their basis.

If we are looking for a truer, closer relationship with Him, the creator of all things, then surely we need to be reading from and using as our guide a Bible that is the closet we can get to its original form.
Yep, we should keep questioning...but let's take the last sentence to it's logical conclusion; we learn hebrew and greek, and find that the bible that we now know is actually far removed from the first 2-3 centuries, where it was many more letters addressed to various people in their unique situation. And written by men. So what does that mean in the context of today's bible? Why do we need to accept the "canonization" of a few select letters just because a council says so? It's illogical, silly and dangerous to take their word for it; how different is this from accepting Joseph Smith's ever-changing version, or the Watchtower's?

He said he would write the word upon our hearts. I know this to be true, and I know that the men you met in Asia also found this. He is a real, living spirit, that is more than capable of speaking to us and through us. And so I don't rely upon reading the bible any longer, but use it as a tool that is more like a compass. Sometimes the compass could be wrong, due to other interferences...but I rely upon Papa to guide me in my unique situation, so if he uses the bible to speak to me then I know his voice, and I listen. But that is not to discount any other media; websites, films, songs, books, people. In fact people is how it most often happens; and I suspect this is how he wants it to be; it's called CHURCH. (In the real meaning of the term; the bride of Christ, a living breathing dynamic organism comprised of those who believe Him)

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
April 20, 2010 11:43PM
Everything that we use and utilize in our journey towards Jesus should help point us towards Him. Using your example of the compass and how it can be give the wrong direction either through interference or perhaps even misuse, there are things that we can do to limit those problems.

1) We could buy a better compass that is more robust and sturdy and is less prone to interference.
2) We could learn how to use it properly
3) Maybe even some maintenance along the way will help
4) Don't travel alone but journey with some other believers - not as a sheep but as a contributor

I suppose the point I am arguing here, is irrespective if you think the Bible is a guidebook and historical or whether you think it is the Inspired Word of God, that you need to make sure that the compass you are using is as accurate as possible.

Yes, while we don't know Hebrew / Greek etc, there are some English versions that are better than others.

It is about been aware, knowing the problems that exist with some versions, it is about been as close to the true written Word as possible, it is about been responsible and accountable for what we use as our guide and compass...

so, that's enough from this ass...opps I mean donkey.

April 21, 2010 12:16AM
Mark the donkey
I suppose the point I am arguing here, is irrespective if you think the Bible is a guidebook and historical or whether you think it is the Inspired Word of God, that you need to make sure that the compass you are using is as accurate as possible.
True enough; it is up to us to look after our tools, or replace them with a GPS if we can afford it winking smiley

What does "Inspired Word of God" mean?

It is about been aware, knowing the problems that exist with some versions, it is about been as close to the true written Word as possible, it is about been responsible and accountable for what we use as our guide and compass...

Ok, I know where you are coming from with this, and your heart, but
  • Problems exist with some versions? What problems, and why? (Not disagreeing, just need to quantify)
  • Being as close to the true written Word as possible? Do you mean the original text? How is that possible when so few original scrolls exist, and of those that do, they often differ?
  • Being responsible and accountable for what we use as our guide and compass? Why? Responsible and accountable to whom and why?
Good discussion, bro' Applause

- Lenny Bruce
April 21, 2010 02:10AM
SO I have started looking into stuff - if ya interested here are some links:

Evidence for superior New Testament reliability

Codex Sinaiticus is one of the most important books in the world.

English Bible History

History of The Bible

A Chronology of the English Bible

Changes in the English Language

Translation Theory and Methods

Online Bibles

A rational, secular, historical perspective on the history of Christianity and its scripture

Part I: From Wycliffe to King James (The Period of Challenge)

Bible Inconsistencies: Bible Contradictions?

A list of articles about translations issues / bible versions

Is the Bible Inerrant?

All Modern Bible Versions Are Corrupt!

well this is my list of starting points - wonder where it will take me.....

Since I am just starting out on this part of my journey, I dont have any views about the above links (good or bad) they are just the point from which I have launched myself into learning more about the topic. If anyone has other links feel free to add them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2010 02:13AM by joshuacorp.
April 21, 2010 12:47PM
Wow, Mark, you're sure going to be busy!I applaud your desire to know more about God's word because I think what's fueling it is a desire to know God better and deeper...and I think if you keep that deeper desire foremost, you will find what you seek!

Come back and tell us what you're learning!
April 21, 2010 09:05PM

Problems exist with some versions? What problems, and why? (Not disagreeing, just need to quantify)
Being as close to the true written Word as possible? Do you mean the original text? How is that possible when so few original scrolls exist, and of those that do, they often differ?
Being responsible and accountable for what we use as our guide and compass? Why? Responsible and accountable to whom and why?

Well, there are a few, I will drop off the article I read that got me thinking about this in the first place. Oh, the reading of the article prompted me to check out if what he was saying was accurate - for me it is hmmm interesting - lets dig deeper.

Been as close to the written word as possible - well, I want the genuine article not a cheap knock off, or something that has a agenda behind it. In some wasy I have been spoilt as I had the oppertunity to attend and participate in a Messianic Community (Jews who are followers of Jesus). Seeing Jesus and experincing Jesus through their eyes and culture opened up a whole new realsiation about church / community and of Jesus, a lot of church stuff suddenly made sense and a lot of church stuff went out the door. While I may not have access to the first edition, I need to ensure that what i use as a base or platform is solid and as tru as humananly possible.

For your reading interest David Stern produced a translation of the new testament Bible from the Jewsish Perspective which shed more light on the whole area of versions, translations and meanings. No doubt this version will have its faults but it sure did help in getting an understanding of the Jewishness of Jesus, the culture etc of the time.

As to been responsible and accountable - we,ll we will all be held accountable for all we do and say, and If you know that something isnt right or needs to be looked into / addressed then we need to. We have a responsibilty be to be wise , wary and catious and own our faith - be active in investigating it, seeking out the truth, seeking out Him. We need to be accountable to one another which requires relationship so that people are aware and know of our journey, our struggles etc

I'm not sure if this particular part of my journey will greatly impact by knowledge, understanding and realtionship of / with God, but I will be better informed about a key aspect of my faith, the written word of God - the Bible - So that has to be a good thing.

April 21, 2010 09:22PM
The inspired Word of God is widely used as a reference to the Bible. The way that i look at that particulatur sentence is like this:

If I can sit on a train for 4hrs and be challeneged by a follower of Jesus who doesnt own a Bible, yet was able to talk in depth on a single verse, then I would class that as the inspired word of God.

I would also include in that framework those times, when u say something to someone and it was the encourgement / challenege / correction that person needed at that time.

I also include in this framework the Bible. That throughout history God inspired man to write down the lesson they have learnt, saw and witnessed so that others can be grow / learn form it.

All of the above are, to me anyway, examples of how I view the term inspired word of God.

Some are written, some are spoken, somecome from people of knowledge, others come from people like u and me.

Maybe the question to ponder is whether we ourseleves are living example sof the inspiring word of God .Do we share our journey with others, both the good and the bad, do we speak out the truth, do we challenge and encourage and correct, can we even hold a conversation on a piece of scripture for 4mins yet alone 4hrs.

Inspired Word Of God - thats what I think (at the moment)

April 21, 2010 09:24PM
Good Job

- Lenny Bruce
April 21, 2010 09:35PM
An interesting aside as developed from this process already - "Doctrinal Statements, Statements of Faith" These are wide and varied and are how people nail their colours to the mast. By that I mean it is a way in which people / ministries / churches let you know what they beleive about God etc.

They are a really good way to see and gauge where people / ministries / churches sit in their values and beleifs.

What is your statement of faith - what does it say about you?

interesting......

April 24, 2010 04:33AM
not many people read a Bible then?

April 24, 2010 07:57AM
LaughingRofl so it would seem.... but there are not a lot of people around at the moment to comment ....BibleTomato

- Lenny Bruce
April 24, 2010 01:48PM
When i first came to know the Lord, I zipped through the Living Bible a couple of times, reading it like a book. Then i went to the King James, then to the Amplified, now I read mostly New King James. I like them all.
Right now because I am in a spiritual, mental FUNK, I am reading the Message, just to feed on the poetic beauty of it.
I agree we should get as close to the original as we can...but since I am not a scholar in any way, shape or form, I just read from many and compare, asking the Lord to shine His light on me so that I will hear what He wants me to hear.
I have very strong beliefs about the importance of the Bible as God's written word, but I don't have the energy to defend those beliefs right now. Hide
I am prone to get on the webcam to the eagle nest i watch, climb in with the eagles and have another window open to Psalms in the Message right now.

W.I.P. (Work in Progress)
Learning to Live LOVED
April 24, 2010 02:58PM
Phoebe
I am prone to get on the webcam to the eagle nest i watch, climb in with the eagles and have another window open to Psalms in the Message right now.
Does that ever sound great. What a way to feel close to our Father, to be an eagle in his nest.

I'm really into the owls, myself! The Owl Box Warning, may be habit-forming!

Phoebe, I'm sorry you're going through this funk-y time. From experience, I can say that it WILL pass, all things except the constant love of God, will pass. If there's anything I/we can do to be with you, please say so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost