Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Great Books to inspire

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
Great Books to inspire
September 28, 2009 08:45PM
Here is a list of recommended books, that I grabbed from elsewhere winking smiley If you have others to add, or reviews of these, please do chime in !

Unequivocal YES
So you don't want to go to Church anymore - e-book [www.jakecolsen.com]
The Shack - book [www.theshackbook.com]
Transitions - audio series [www.lifestream.org]
The Fathers Affection - video [www.lifestream.org]
The God Journey - podcasts [www.thegodjourney.com]
Authentic Relationships Wayne Jacobsen [www.lifestream.org]
He Loves Me by Wayne Jacobsen [www.lifestream.org]
Dangerous Wonder by Mike Yaconelli
Divine Nobodies by Jim Palmer
What's So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancy
The Jesus Style, by Gayle Erwin (actually all the style books- Body, Spirit, Father)
Wide Open Spaces by Jim Palmer
God's Honest Truth by Darin Hufford

Other suggestions:
Pagan Christianity: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices - book. Sample chapter [www.paganchristianity.org]
The Naked Church - e-book
The Wonders of Scripture I and II - podcasts [www.thegodjourney.com] [www.thegodjourney.com]
The Rest of the Gospel by Dan Stone.
Repenting of Religion by Greg Boyd
Works of T. Austin-Sparks
Paul's Idea of Community: The Early House Churches in Their Cultural Setting, Revised Edition
That They May All Be One, Even As We Are One - Volume 1 T Austin-Sparks [www.austin-sparks.net]
That They May All Be One, Even As We Are One - Volume 2 T Austin-Sparks [www.austin-sparks.net]
The School of Christ, T Austin-Sparks
Visual Bible's books of "Matthew" and "John"
God's lavish Grace - Virgo
Boundaries (series)- Safe People Cloud/Townsend
Under His Influence: Yielding to the Work of the Holy Spirit - Pulley
Case for Christ - Lee Strobel
Intra Muros/My Dream of Heaven by Rebecca Ruter Springer
Israel My Beloved by Kay Arthur
Rediscovering the Kingdom (series) by Dr. Myles Munroe
The Most Important Person on Earth by Dr. Myles Munroe
Understanding the Purpose and Power of Prayer/ Earthly License for Heavenly Interference Dr. Munroe
Jesus has left the Building by Paul Viera

In debate:
Going to the Root: Nine Proposals for Radical Church Renewal
Rethinking The Wineskin: The Practice of the New Testament Church
The Release of the Spirit
Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: Great Books to inspire
September 29, 2009 05:35PM
Goodness! I haven't read most of those. Guess I'd better get busy, huh? stop reading mystery adventure novels & get serious.

This list's a tad overwhelming. any suggestions where to start? I've read most of the Lifestream stuff so...?
September 29, 2009 08:35PM
No need to take these as MUST reads... what mystery books are you reading CShell? If Papa is ministering to you out of those, through just enjoying the time spent relaxing, then that is profitable!

- Lenny Bruce
September 30, 2009 09:56PM
Yeppers, to many of those books...The Shack is my fave book of all time.
One book that I love is called Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers- wonderful fictonal story that is a re-telling of the story of the Prophet Hosea and his wife Gomer. Wonderful story and picture of Jesus redeeming us.
Also, The Sacred Romance by...oh man I fogot who wrote it,...sorry!
I love reading novels and finding that Father speaks to me through those as well like when i read "this Present darkness" great book by Frank Peretti, and The Oath by him as well.
October 01, 2009 12:49AM
Kind Onyx
what mystery books are you reading CShell? If Papa is ministering to you out of those, through just enjoying the time spent relaxing, then that is profitable!
When I get time to read, which is hardly ever, I find myself unable to make myself read spiritual books that I'm sure would do me good. Nah, all I want to read is escapist, exciting, pageturners to divert me from my boring life. I don't see Papa ministering to me out of this stuff, it's sort of literary comfort food....mashed potatoes in print. tired smiley
October 02, 2009 12:42AM
I'm so glad you posted this, I've read:
So you don't want to go to Church anymore - e-book [www.jakecolsen.com]
The Shack - book [www.theshackbook.com]
Transitions - audio series [www.lifestream.org]
The Fathers Affection - video [www.lifestream.org]
The God Journey - podcasts [www.thegodjourney.com]
He Loves Me by Wayne Jacobsen [www.lifestream.org]
Pagan Christianity: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices

Some of the other ones by Wayne Jacobsen I have ordered, and they are on their way.
Right now I'm reading Truefaced, it's okay but I find I have to keep going back to check if I missed something, I seem to get lost and have no idea what they are talking about. I guess it's not a cliffhanger type, you know it doesn't keep me turning those pages.

But I love to read.
October 03, 2009 12:42AM
Right now I am reading "Bo's Cafe". Not to far into to it but seems to be a good read. Will let everyone know after I finish it. Right now I need to remember that God love me no matter what. Even when I made stupid mistakes. Sometime I still can't get my head around that thought.
T

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2009 12:43AM by dogwoodflwr.
October 06, 2009 10:05PM
Well, I've finished "TrueFaced", it deals more with being real with ourselves and other believers, not showing two or more different faces. It also deals with sin, forgiveness, unresolved sin and how to resolve it, otherwise you can't heal. The book tells you to go to people that have hurt you in the past, and to tell them you forgive them and until you do this, it is still an unresolved sin. I kind have a problem with that concept, they even used an example of an incident that happened in high school and how that affected this person all his life, until he found the people that had hurt him and told them he forgave them. I do believe we should forgive others, totally yes, and if someone came to me and said I'd hurt them 40 years ago by something I'd said or done, yes...I'd say I'm sorry and ask them to forgive me. But to go as far as saying we can't heal or move forward unless we confront people that have hurt us, I don't believe I can buy that, I believe Father can heal and move us forward with/without involving others. Because the Father that I know, well....he's pretty awesome. Happy Dance
October 07, 2009 08:48AM
Thanks for reporting back on Truefaced!

I agree with you; to say we cannot move forward without that confrontation is limiting the power of God in our lives, shoving him back in a box. He wants what is best for us, and sometimes that confrontation could be a really stupid idea, so we need to follow his leading as to when to go to others in this manner, not just take it as gospel because it's written in a book.

- Lenny Bruce
October 07, 2009 10:54AM
The 12 steps of AA and other groups recommend that after you have a "searching and fearless moral inventory" of yourself, you then talk about it with "God, yourself and another human being". A little further on you "Make a list of all persons you have harmed, and become willing to make amends to them all". It doesn't say you necessarily make those amends; just that you become willing. Then comes the 9th step: "Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others."

I know AA isn't the Bible, but its principles are Bible-based and quite sound. I think there are circumstances when it's not wise to tell a person they hurt you but now you forgive them: that this might make you feel better, but might "injure them or others". What about a situation where you've had an affair with someone, for example, and almost wrecked marriages and families, but moved on with God's grace and forgiveness. Is it necessary to bring it all up again, or even to see that person and put yourself in the way of temptation? I guess if God says to do it, but I wouldn't do it if just a BOOK said to do it.

just my My 2 Cents worth
October 07, 2009 02:16PM
I listened to an MP3 on truefaced . pretty life transforming stuff . glad the book is good too .

Hope you all are well .

October 10, 2009 07:21PM
Finished Bo's Cafe. A very good read. So much of it has touched my heart and I see myself in some of the characters. Will probably reread it again.

T

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
October 10, 2009 09:24PM
Tell us Toni, what touched your heart? We've not seen the book here yet!

- Lenny Bruce
October 10, 2009 11:49PM
Right now my life is out of control. This book came at perfect time to remind me of Father's love. That no matter what he is here. And that there are people around us or in our lives to help. I believe that I was lead here for a reason because I can get the support I need that I am not getting from family. the book talks about anger and how we deal with it and how it is hiding us from ourselves and others so no one can get close.

Here is the web site it gives a taste of how the book is written [www.boscafe.com] and
[www.facebook.com]
Toni

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 02:18AM by dogwoodflwr.
October 15, 2009 09:51PM
I'm reading The naked Gospel, it's a new book just out from a guy named Onyx Murray I think. Good stuff!
October 15, 2009 10:21PM
Thanks Brown Eyed Girl!
The Naked Gospel

ABOUT THE BOOK

Jesus plus nothing. 100% natural. No additives.It's the truth you may never hear in church. The Naked Gospel is a chapter-by-chapter assault on the churchy jargon and double talk of our day. It puts forth a message that is simple but life-changing. With a fresh take on Scripture and unapologetic style, The Naked Gospel will challenge you to re-examine everything you thought you already knew.
[www.thenakedgospel.com]

You can download the entire book as an "eBook" PDF.

- Lenny Bruce
November 02, 2009 10:13PM
I've finished "Bo's Cafe", and I loved it. It is pretty much about life, the way we deal or don't deal with life, the way we deal or don't deal with God...and how it all catches up to us and helping others to find the way also. You will laugh and cry, it's a good read.

I'm waiting for "The Misunderstood God", I pre-ordered it, so hopefully it will be here soon. I'm kind of excited about this one.Excited

Sue Living Loved

"God's grace exists to point people to a love like no other love they have ever known."
Mike Yaconelli, Dangerous Wonder
November 03, 2009 03:19AM
Interested in a novel withsome great spiritual wisdom...my brother's book is out and about! Ancient by K.T. Kimbrough first book in a trilogy. You can find it at www.barnesandnoble.com...and amazon.com. Please give it an honest review,..kyle wants hard-core, honest feedback so he knows how to edit and tweek the next two books. smiling smiley
November 03, 2009 01:31PM
I just ordered it from Amazon. It sounds really good Robyn! How exciting to have a brother who's a published author. And you an artist....you must have interesting times when your family gets together!

Also ordered The Misunderstood God. Which shall I read first?????????????
November 03, 2009 10:26PM
smiling smiley Oh...I don't know if I can speak completely unbiasedly on this subject. smiling smiley But you will love "Ancient"..smiling smiley I got to proof-read the first draft of the book. I'm finally getting to read the finished product...smiling smiley Oh and there an fan page for the book on Facebook. Look up Ancient fan page..the more fans the merrier! smiling smiley
November 03, 2009 11:55PM
You Americans are a bit ahead of us kiwis. I just picked up my copy of "Bo's Cafe" yesterday which I ordered when I first saw on Wayne Jacobsen's Lifestream that it had been released.

Has just arrived in NZ from your great nation. Will post my comments when I have read it, now that I've read all the other comments.

Now will need to order "The Misunderstood God". ETA probably some time next year!
November 04, 2009 04:59PM
I read fifteen chapters of ANCIENT yesterday. My brother keeps thinking I'm exaggreating on how good of a write he is. No I'm NOT,..He says " Oh you have to say that because you're mysister, my favorite sister! " No I said, I tell you you're awesome cause you are!" smiling smiley
November 27, 2009 01:18AM
Hi there
Am wondering if anyone has read 'Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith' by Rob Bell.

I was given a copy recently as a gift. I know Rob Bell is pastor of a mega-type church somewhere in the US - Mars Hill (gosh what a name, don't get things like that here in NZ!) I guess the fact of him being a mega church pastor has kind of prejudiced me against the book, but then again feel to be fair I ought to read it. It was given to me by a good friend who has read it and wanted me to see what I thought so we could discuss it. (We share faith, and books about faith is part of that sharing). Guess she wouldn't have given it to me if she didn't think there was something in it.

Anyway any opinions out there from people who have read the same?

Just today also bought 'Pagan Christianity'? Have seen Onyx and a few others on this and other forums refer to it.

So now am set for my holiday reading: a Jodi Picoult (no not about spirituality but usually a good read anyway); Pagan Christianity?; and maybe Velvet Elvis.
November 27, 2009 01:48AM
Haven't read Velvet Elvis myself Gill, but if you can bear reading things on the computer, check out Revolution - as good as Pagan Christianity for me.

- Lenny Bruce
November 27, 2009 01:49AM
I have a lot of respect for Rob Bell. He was the founding pastor of Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, but I believe is no longer the main pastor...I think other things like his books and videos and speaking tours are where he is engaged now. Have you ever seen his NOOMA videos? Outstanding.

The only church I would ever consider going to would be Mars Hill. Yeah, it would be considered a megachurch because it has something like 10,000 members, but it is VERY different from any other megachurch I've ever heard of. Very unglitzy, very involved with the poor, not into traditional conservative groupthink... We've been there a couple times (it's a 4 hour drive from our house). I could say why we respect Mars Hill and Rob Bell but you could also look for yourself...[www.marshill.org]

I loved Velvet Elvis and can highly recommend it.
November 28, 2009 05:02AM
Thanks Shelley and Onyx for your book recommendations and links to sites. Will check them out, and have now definitely put 'Velvet Elvis' on the holiday reading list.

I have seen one of the NOOMA videos. Can't remember what it was about, but it was long, about 40/45 mins maybe? Apparently most aren't that long. Remember it set things up for people to discuss, rather than having a haranging / force feeding message.
November 28, 2009 05:20PM
I'm a big fan of Donald Miller's books; particularly Searching For God Knows What. I love the analogy he gave of christians seeking validation being like drowning people trying to prove they are important enough to have a spot reserved on the life boat. Fact of the matter is, the life boat has room for all of us and we don't get in because of who we are, but because of who Christ is.
November 28, 2009 05:58PM
I believe according to Rob Bell the original churches were a whole city . and all the rhetoric was some kind of counter-cultural thing against the emperor's cult .

Hope you all are well .

November 29, 2009 03:32PM
Ashley, Donald Miller!!!I love that guy! Searching for God Knows What is one of my favorite books, and that lifeboat illustration comes back to me again and again. I bought the book on audio too so I could listen in my car. This book is a lot like He Loves Me in its message, although Donald's style is more meandering and hilarious than Wayne's.

Michael, could you expand on what you said about Rob Bell's words? Is that his take on how churches got formed?
December 12, 2009 03:23AM
I am just in the middle - well not even in the middle actually, have read the first three chapters! - of reading 'Wide Open Spaces' by Jim Palmer. Has been sitting beside my bed for quite a few months and yesterday picked it up and just love what I'm reading about God, church, feelings....

Had to share my enthusiasm.... and wonder if anyone else has read it? I - so far - totally recommend it. I want to sit and read and read it, but think I would get more out of it if I read and reflect.....

It is the type of book that gets me wanting this life of living in relationship with Christ and others so much more... yet at the same time it simplifies things as well. Which suits me just fine - as I tend to complicate!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Guests: 681 on August 16, 2012
Hosted by DownTownHost