Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Where to start.....

Posted by dogwoodflwr 
Recent Messages
Where to start.....
December 23, 2009 02:15PM
I have never been one to just read the Bible. I have done scripture readings but never read the Bible. So where do you start?
I know that several on here are well versed in the Bible. So where, do you just pick something your interested in? I know I want to start but it is also kind of scary not knowing where to start. Any help would be appreciated

Thank Toni

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
Re: Where to start.....
December 23, 2009 04:35PM
A lot of pastors recommend the Gospel of John for its simplicity .

Hope you all are well .

December 23, 2009 06:55PM
Thank you

News flash:
Anonymous User
December 23, 2009 07:46PM
I agree with Michael. The Gospel of John is a great place to start.
Then read the other three Gospels, and go on to the rest of the New Testament.
At the same time you could be reading in Psalms as part of your prayer. There are beautiful prayers in there.
I suggest you get a nice translation like The Message or Living Bible, and use that to get acquainted with the Bible. I know you will be blessed.BibleHalo
December 23, 2009 08:25PM
Hi Toni, firstly, why do you feel the need? If Papa is prompting you to begin reading the scriptures, then wait upon him to tell you what to read. It may not be a matter of what is easiest, but a matter of what he wants to say to you through those words. I used to play Bible roulette...flick through the pages, stop, and read winking smiley it's a silly game, but actually Papa had fun playing it with me. Other times he wanted me to study a particular book, eg Ephesians, or 1 John. The point is that the communication channels need to be open to him in the first instance, or else it's all just words.
Secondly, if he is prompting you to get further into a knowledge of the scripture, then get a Chronological reading plan of the bible; it makes more sense than the longest to shortest compilation we have. When you get really interested in the historical context, you can add a bible encyclopedia. Also there are lots of free resources online to help with studies, such as [blueletterbible.org].

Most of all...have fun! If you feel that your study has become something you "should" or "have" to do, then it's time to stop...and free yourself from the religious mindset first.

Be blessed!

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
December 24, 2009 01:49AM
onyx
I used to play Bible roulette...flick through the pages, stop, and read winking smiley it's a silly game, but actually Papa had fun playing it with me.
Be blessed!

yeah me too . but it is important if the urge is there to sequentially learn it . bible roulette made me very easy to manipulate back in the day because i didn't know the context of the passages . there's kind of a good side to both though .

Hope you all are well .

December 24, 2009 01:50AM
I am listing to my heart that said read, so last night I start with Luke 2: 1-20 good place to start with it being Christmas. I feel that reading about Jesus' life I will get to know him better. It is a start. Thanks to everyone suggestions.
Merry Christmas

Toni

News flash:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2009 03:14AM by dogwoodflwr.
January 09, 2010 11:44PM
Hello all, I have listen to my heart and this is what I am trying. The church I still attend some has a new pastor, young guy
mid-30's is teaching a love message instead of the usual. He sent a reading list out - to read NT and Psalms in a year.
Only 25 reading a month he said because we all have lives and he didn't want anyone feel they were behind. So I did
the first couple days and my heart was telling me to continue. Even got ahead some. Just want to say thanks for all the help.

Welcome back Onyx you were missed.

Toni

News flash:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost