Advanced

So who really started the Church?

Posted by Lionhearted 
Recent Messages
So who really started the Church?
September 05, 2012 01:20AM
Poll
Jesus founded the Church.
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
3 votes were received.
Yep - for sure.1

33%
Nope - His Father did through the ages.0

0%
I'm not so sure now but i'm going to find out.2

67%

Something to "Chomp on" ;D

Searching on the Net for information on someone lead me to this and some interesting "teaching"!

"The Christian Church was formed well after the death of Jesus, indeed some 50 to 60 years afterward. At the beginning of their life and history, the followers of Jesus continued to be what they had always been, members of the synagogues. Christianity began as a movement within the synagogue. They called themselves not “Christians” but “The Followers of the Way.” Jesus certainly did not found the church, despite the ecclesiastical propaganda of the ages."

Now who's got there thinking/theol hat on? smiling smiley and I'll tell you who was speaking later...

From what you know now, is this any differant and if so how?

Think I'll add a poll to this one?

LH
Re: So who really started the Church?
September 05, 2012 03:42AM
Good Job

Jesus said he would build his church upon the rock; of faith; whilst he talked to Peter.

Historically, 'The Way' was what these believers were known as collectively, but they soon came to be known as Christians - followers of Christ. It's quibbling over labels to worry about what the early believers were called, and irrelevant to today's faith IMNSHO.

Of course most of those early believers were still in Synagogues, but it was really only an issue when they were a member of the Pharisees or Sadducees, as the religious structure dictated what they could and could not believe. Sound familiar? grinning smiley

And if, as Jesus said he would, He built his church upon faith, then EVERY one who believed became a member of the church regardless of their religious stance. So His church is inclusive, not exclusive.

Therefore I disagree with Rev Spong in his assessment. Methinks he is just trying to stir things up with controversy (which is not necessarily bad in itself)

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: So who really started the Church?
October 12, 2012 08:27PM
If then Jesus said "He would build His Church" then what did his Father start building?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost