Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

What if you never knew?

Posted by J(uk) 
Recent Messages
What if you never knew?
August 22, 2012 08:55PM
What if you never knew?

I'm just back from a festival with my oldest son Dan and a few friends who saved me.  By that I mean a few years ago they saw me sat alone in the pub and in spite of the fact that they could see I was a miserable git they invited me to join them and have stuck by me over the last few years.

One even posted that one of her highlights of the festival was seeing me smile and dance (although me dancing is debatable ).

As these friends are all stanch atheists I'm left questioning once again, what does it matter all the years of belief or indoctrination of loving your neighbour etc what difference would there be in my life if I had not been raised in a Christian family when others display love with no personal experience of Christ?

There is the universal answer that Christ is the author of love in all it's true forms,  so my friends are simply experiencing and conveying god without ever knowing god.  If that is so what value in me explaining their actions in fact wouldn't that lessen the unconditional nature of their love?

I do love the love wins / living loved ideal but it so messes with my head it's like it used to be loving was a part of being a Christian but now it seems like being a Christian is a tiny part of loving
Re: What if you never knew?
August 22, 2012 09:24PM
Good Post!

it's like it used to be loving was a part of being a Christian but now it seems like being a Christian is a tiny part of loving
So true. Again, the label "Christian" doesn't make one act in a different manner from anyone else. But "Christian" merely means "follower of Christ" (and that could take many, many forms). So the question is: does following him enable us to love others more than those who do not follow him? How long is that piece of string?

There is the universal answer that Christ is the author of love in all it's true forms, so my friends are simply experiencing and conveying god without ever knowing god. If that is so what value in me explaining their actions in fact wouldn't that lessen the unconditional nature of their love?
Why explain their actions smiling smiley ? Just be grateful - to them and to their maker.
I think that as we all are children of a loving God, that all of us are imbued with that seed of love within us. Some try to kill it, others nurture it, and others ignore it. Doesn't matter if they are "christian" or not - this still happens.

So, I think to answer the question "What if you never knew?" for me is: I would be poorer for not knowing where my strength and hope came from, I would be more inclined to despair at the hopelessness of life, but I could still live loved by others (and isn't their love part of His?)

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
August 22, 2012 10:15PM
Thanks smart arse, your not meant to get the answer right first go, no wonder phs threads are getting shorter!!!
August 22, 2012 10:18PM
NeenerNeener

- Lenny Bruce
September 05, 2012 12:53AM
lol

Although the "Love" the Father has and gives is not the same kind of 'love' the World knows. Only as a born again believer can anyone understand/ Know 'That' kind of love, forgivness and acceptance.

The vessal is broken, but the designer can 'recycle' it.

smiling smiley

LH
(recycler)
September 05, 2012 03:19PM
I'm not sure I agree, can only those who know scientific laws a physics or have a degree in aerodynamics fly a kite? If love is there it is there for anyone to throw thier kite into the kind.

Like words like Christian, church, love now has many meanings and even those who know god don't fully know and understand love.
September 05, 2012 09:08PM
Yep, we are all his kids, regardless of our belief system. Do we have any special benefits from having the "right" beliefs? (Whatever they might be!!)

Do we, as human fathers who love imperfectly, love our children less when they don't agree with us? Well perhaps; just because of that imperfection, but the example set before us is a Father who loved us enough to die for us, even whilst we persecuted him. I pray God will help me love my kids more in that manner!

- Lenny Bruce
September 08, 2012 01:27AM
Hi J

My husband has a tee-shirt made that was made especially for him by some friends, as it is one of his favourite sayings. On it are the words.... "If God can use a donkey, then He can use an ass like me".

I figure that God can use anyone he pleases, 'christian' or not. Sadly, I find that many non-churched/christian people show love and friendship more readily and genuinely than the churched. Sigh.

Just my My 2 Cents worth
October 14, 2012 07:38AM
This is true Ricy - God can and will use anyone. The question then becomes 'Can you think of anyone just in the scriptures he couldnt?'

1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

In Deut 5 we see more of the Fathers Heart and His Love for His created images.

Yes J we were all "Gits" because sin came in - we are/were all lost. And we are All created in His image. When Love comes in - it changes the vessal.

All have broken the fathers heart - how then is it possible to regain?

What then do we say - If we say "what the world needs now is love" - Yes it does - Chose Christ and then you will know what Love is. If I see my neighbour has not been out side for 4 weeks and do nothing then what does that say? - That I knew - and did nothing. If I knew my neighbour had a need and I could meet that need, but choose to do nothing, what kind of 'love' is that? If I go down to the local Food bank and hand out parcels, go home and feel like i've 'done my bit' is this better?

I have talked to many people in all kinds of situations and many no nothing about His Love, they only know what the world has to offer? What differance then I'f I say I have love too and do nothing?

Actually the scriptures paint a serious picture of those He hates! But lets not go there right now!! ;D

If then you were "Saved" then what for? Remember You are a Light and Salt to the World, Brush off the dust and set that armour right cause its not the flesh we fight against and its not the weapons of this world we use.

1Sam 8 Paints another scene as Israel says it wants a King?
November 08, 2012 05:36PM
Ricy
I figure that God can use anyone he pleases, 'christian' or not. Sadly, I find that many non-churched/christian people show love and friendship more readily and genuinely than the churched. Sigh.

*** LIKE *** Yeah...that
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost