Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Is knowing nothing better than thinking you know what's right

Posted by J(uk) 
Recent Messages
Is knowing nothing better than thinking you know what's right
May 13, 2012 02:11PM
An interesting article was posted on Facebook

[anthropologist.livejournal.com] don't know if that link works!

It was basically a study of Christian ceremonies over the ages which recognised same sex marriage.

That's right the church recognising gay and lesbian couples as equal, yet for many of us we have grown up thinking that the church is against this and this is how it's always been and that the church is largely static in its views.

A while ago i was in the pub with 2 friends when my friend skinny was saying that now he's a Christian he believes firmly in no sex before marriage (quite a change in his world view). He turned to me and said so J you claim to be a Christian don't you agree?

In the end I asked him some questions, like where this "rule" came from? Did sex and marriage mean the same thing now in a modern western society as in a Jewish society in christs time? And more importantly what he felt god felt about sex and marriage.

I did say to him that I didn't think gods best plan for sex was causal sex and that I felt that sex was in part a very part of marriage like a contract in joining two people together, Plus a lot else which basically agrees with the one partner principle.

However like with the gay marriage how much we believe to be fact, gods final word on the subject is that but not much more than legalistic Chinese whispers passed down through generations?
Re: Is knowing nothing better than thinking you know what's right
May 13, 2012 02:15PM
Also to his you claim to be a Christian remark I told him I don't claim anything.
To claim to be "Christian" would be embarrassing to both parties!

I try to follow christ
May 13, 2012 07:14PM
Good questions, J. I am also re-examining my "Christian Worldview".

It seems so black and white, with no room for any shades of grey -- let alone any colors. God made so many colors...

I guess I'm coming to see more truth in the phrase "All things are permissable, but not all things are profitable." Why can't we live this out in our love for others amid/despite their frailties. Or, heck, even in the demands and expectations that I put on my own behavior. It would certainly take the "guilt" out of much of MY day... not having to label everything as good / bad, black / white...
June 10, 2012 12:04AM
Is the question really about "haveing knowledge" in our 'data bank' minds or a revealation of what "Truth" is? If we say we know something we have knowledge, if we say "I believe JESUS is the son of GOD" we have truth??

Still thinking on this one ;D
July 24, 2012 01:12AM
Part 2!!

"If we ever hope to determine if there is such a thing as truth apart from cultural and personal preferences, we must acknowledge that we are then aiming to discover something greater than ourselves, something that transcends culture and individual inclinations. To do this is to look beyond ourselves and outside of ourselves. In essence, it means we are looking for God. God would be truth, the absolute and true essence of being and reality who is the author of all truth. If you are interested in truth beyond yourself, then you must look to God."

John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me".

From a 'Lion' That Knows a little - but has found alot!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost