Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Faking it until we're making it

Posted by Adrielle 
Recent Messages
Faking it until we're making it
March 05, 2012 10:18PM
I've been a Christian all my life.

Do I know Papa? I mean, really know Him, know His voice?

Ummmm. Not really. And I have to admit, I have to wonder about the people who say they do. What's their secret? Why them and not me, I wonder. I hear some people say they have conversations with Him every day. Mine are one-sided. I know He's real, very real. But it seems to me that He doesn't really get involved in people's lives - at a personal level. And I'm left scratching my head when I hear others say that ..."God told me this, or God told me that" I just don't get it.

I believe what's written in the Bible. I've asked God into my heart. I've been baptized. I've even faked (gasp) speaking in tongues. ( Well, I thought it was real at the time, but now I'm not sure.) I'm not entirely sure what I believe regarding that issue.

I have this core set of values and beliefs, of which I could be accused of being a fundamentalist , as I believe these very strongly. But it's this relationship thing that has me really bothered. So I feel like I'm a split personality, believing one set of Truths, but not really living out the 'relationship' set of Truths.

I feel like I'm just faking it until I make it. Somehow what I believe is a set of ideals, a belief in a God who says in His Word that He loves me, yet I don't feel loved, and I have no relationship. Some days I feel like I will only get to Heaven by the skin of my teeth, and then He will say to depart from Him because He never knew me!

Is this 'normal'? Has the church so messed with my head that I have this mis-guided notion of what being saved actually means. I thought I had dumped all the nonsense, but there are days when I feel like I'm just going around and around and around and around in circles.

In the meantime, I'm faking it until I'm making it, an actor in a grand play.
Re: Faking it until we're making it
March 06, 2012 02:30AM
Your situation Adrielle, is far more common than you may have imagined. Many years ago, I remember Billy Graham saying something to the affect that, "Sometimes it may be necessary to fake it till you make it." I have faith that all God's judgements are based in His love and they are curative and not punitive. In other words, we have NOTHING to fear! Even in the temporary departure for some (who do not know God) in the hereafter, there will be a soon return when they call upon the name of the Lord. God will ultimately SAVE all of us! I hope this has helped.
[www.hopebeyondhell.net]

“I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I don't sit down every morning and hear God tell me to go do this or that. It isn't that contrived. Most times God speaks to me through a growing conviction in my heart over a period of time. Like everyone else I have fleeting thoughts and desires that sound like him initially, but soon prove to come from me and not him. How am I learning to tell the difference?

Give it some time. If it is not a spur of the moment opportunity like talking to someone on a plane, I let it settle for a few days. As I regularly spend time with Jesus, and season my mind with Bible reading and with the insights of other believers, I find God's leading becomes increasingly clear over time. This growing relationship causes his voice to rise above the distraction and distress of the world's ways.

I also measure whatever I'm hearing to the content and spirit of Scripture. Is this consistent with how God has revealed himself and how he works? I never trust what answers my anxieties the easiest. Jesus warned us in Matthew 6 that a rising tide of anxiety would wash away our freedom to think kingdom thoughts. He reminded us that only by trusting God's care for us would we be at rest enough to know his ways.

I don't listen to guilt. Guilt drives us away from God's wisdom. Too many think they will only be led by God when they finally stop some temptation or act more disciplined. But they have it backwards. We cannot conform our flesh to God's ways but we can be led of him until our flesh is displaced by his presence and insight.

It also helps to let go of the tyranny of your own agenda. We all have things we want Jesus to do in our lives and the way we want him to do them. But our presumption that we know the best way to get there will keep us from simply doing things the way he asks of us. He is the one that taught us that you get to the top by serving and that first in line is found at the back. The more you grow to trust him to fulfill his purpose in you his way the easier it will be to recognize how he is doing it.” Wayne Jacobsen

Quotation from “What Is God Asking Of You?”
[www.lifestream.org]

“Now I’m not one to despise the intellect. God gave us a brain for a reason. I love people who ask questions and try to sort out things in ways that make sense. But if we’re going to wait for all our questions to be answered before we move on down the road with him, I’m afraid some of us will never move. . .

So many brothers and sisters I know get paralyzed when they haven’t figured out answers to every question, about something they sense him leading them to do, or even just believing that the Gospel of grace, is simply that. What if we trusted Jesus to sort out our questions in the going, rather than having them all answered before we head out? We talked on a podcast a few weeks ago about the gap many people talk about between their head and their heart. I have been asked countless times, “How do I get what I know in my head, into my heart?”

Robert, a friend of mine from Virginia, suggested that perhaps God’s love is won in our heart (Romans 5:5), not our heads. Instead of trying to get our heads to convince our hearts of a reality, perhaps the greater freedom is to let our hearts when over our heads. Our hearts already know how loved we are by him. Our hearts already bear witness to his reality. It’s our heads that have a hard time catching up.

Questions can be important, but we must not let them rule the day. Instead, embrace the One your heart already knows. Live out of that reality and you’ll find your questions will get sorted out in the going. Try to answer all your questions first, and you’ll never get anywhere on this journey.” Quotation from Wayne Jacobsen’s Blog

“Don’t be upset and don’t let all those doubting questions take over.”
(Luke 24:38, THE MESSAGE)

All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ
and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 2Corinthians 5:18 NIV
March 06, 2012 08:34AM
I hear you Adrielle. Big Hug!
March 06, 2012 08:49AM
Yeah I'm a recovering mentalfundalist too. I used to 'hear' God so often that it became a competition with myself to see if I was right, and it was him. Crazy

I have a friend who has just gone literally Crazy who 'hears' him all the time.

What does it say about us that we need to attribute our imaginings to him? What does it say about relationship? Does it irk him that we make so much up? What about those who want more ... and just not hearing / getting it?

I have heard it said that because his voice is too powerful that we would crumble under its power, so he holds back. I don't know about that. I think that the 'still, small voice' within us, that I confuse for my imagination is sometimes him, even though it would appear not to be. What he is doing is getting me to move on something, to be decisive. Because otherwise I could sit around my whole life, waiting to hear .... waiting ....

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
March 07, 2012 05:11PM
I have this mental picture of myself as a little girl, sitting on the deck in our backyard, just enjoying the outdoors. I wasn't trying to do anything in particular, I was just sitting there, at peace. Somehow, when I think of that moment, I KNOW Papa was with me. I know he loved me than and he loves me now -- no matter what I'm doing or not doing. And I know that THAT is all he wants from me. Just to sit, and to be with him.
Of course, we have to do our chores, jobs, eat, sleep, etc., but on the inside, I always try to keep that mental image. It helps me remember that the expectations are not from him. All he wants is for me to be me -- that little girl enjoying the day he made.
Just my perspective these days. (((((Adrielle)))))
March 08, 2012 07:08AM
Hi (((Adrielle)))

I think many are in that same place, perhaps they forget what the scriptures say? The only place it really is clear is with His Word.
(Rev 3:20 [KJV])
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man [hear my voice], and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."

(1Cor 2:13 [KJV])
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the [Holy Ghost teacheth]; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Was it not by 'revelation' that our forfathers recieved Him into there hearts and followed Him? or was it by 'speaking in toungues of men and angels'? Did they have signs and wonders as their "Faith" grew in their hearts - of course they did. "For it is with your {mouth} we confess and with our {heart} we believe" Thats why the scriptures are there to build Faith and Wisdom and testimony for you and I (1 Pet)
(2Tim 1:6 [KJV])
Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

Remember your First Love.

Hugs from a Lion who keeps getting back up!
LH
March 08, 2012 10:57AM
For me I'm finding it's perspective, letting go of certainty that I know god, I have or understand IT. It is all part of limiting god, I'm learning not to grasp the wind but just be more aware of its constant presence.

I think the sense of faking it comes from a false stance that we know how IT should be, how IT works, what It is, when the IT we are trying to box is there saying "I AM" and I can't be boxed so stop trying be still and know that I am.
March 08, 2012 07:35PM
I think the general idea of conformity is to not stand out, to not be different, to appear 'normal'. In the IC that meant that, in the main, you dressed like everyone else, you participated like everyone else, you *shudder* thought like everyone else. You didn't question.

Let's face it, no one is normal.

So here we are 'on the outside' - we find out there are no 'rules', there are no 'creeds', there are no weekly meetings, so it appears like spiritual anarchy. And we are FULL of QUESTIONS.

The pendulum has swung fully in the opposite direction. We find ourselves on foreign soil / out of the Matrix.

Being in a foreign land and having to learn a foreign language - we no longer have the comfort and control of knowing exactly what is what, and we are thrown into a state of immaturity, and the situation of learning everything again from scratch, in a totally different context. [The exception is that with languages their are rules that guide them.]

So what are we to do - fake it until we make it or.....something else?

Well, which seems fake to you? That we are all clones, or that we are all unique human beings?

If we are all clones then yes, it therefore follows that we need to conform. If we are 'fearfully and wonderfully made' then shouldn't we embrace our freedom and individuality?

With all the incredible variety in nature, do you think that God created us to be clones and to conform - to fake it until we make it? Or do you think that He created us to be who we are, beautiful, colourful, detailed, independent and free?

I think another key is that we are called to 'be' (ie human beings) not necessarily to 'do' (ie not human doings); and that a commitment to conform (to fake it) expresses the need for an action on our behalf, whereas as J(uk) points out God is often like the wind, taking us where he pleases.
March 13, 2012 04:08PM
March 13, 2012 07:55PM
Yep, Wifey's bump is getting BIG! Laughing

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
May 07, 2012 10:44PM
OOOO!! It's here now!! Excited

So Adrielle hows it going - are you spending time with the Father and Son and thinking about how to get to know them better? It does take time and over time you will know them more and more and in a way you recognise. Keep reading the scriptures, keep meditation and thinking on them, read about others journeys too, like missionaries or Bio's, Study with a "well balanced" teacher and then let us know hows it going.

Blessings from a 'well rounded lion' Yeah

LH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost