Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

If god was all you had would he be enough ?

Posted by J(uk) 
Recent Messages
If god was all you had would he be enough ?
February 20, 2012 10:48PM
Here's a question or maybe it's a struggle I'm facing but If god was all you had would he be enough ?

It feels at present that so much in my life is being stripped away from my life, real life friends are getting into relationships, moving away and even papas home is quiet, plus my health is failing fast. I'm not after sympathy though.

In part my head is saying god is doing this so all that is left to rely on is him, and I guess I'm caught with the head knowledge that he should be all I need and I should be grateful that all distractions are being removed yet a fear or longing for more. Maybe that is needing to have a deepening relationship that I haven't experienced before.

But it also questions what heaven is like, can god be enough or is god fully revealed in relationships with people
Re: If god was all you had would he be enough ?
February 21, 2012 01:42AM
Hmmm....I am beginning to wonder if God is even 'concerned' or 'involved' in my life. I guess that could sound blasphemous - so be it.

If when you are in a real bind, you talk to Him and don't get a real answer, then what's the point? How does that equate with the concept that He gives us good things, moreso even than a father his own child?

Or was it never supposed to work like that?

Are we just here to get the revelation that there is a God, and that it's in our best interest to life a moral life, but basically He is leaving us to it?

Sorry, no answers here mate.
February 21, 2012 03:51AM

I am like one who sits in a train station and all the trains of thought
are going by and I'm not getting on any of them. - Keith Green

“Would like to share this poem written by Parker J. Palmer as it helped me
when I left the IC. It gave me the courage to proceed into un-chartered
waters, so it may assist others too.” Anonymous (The Harrowing):

The plow has savaged this sweet field
Misshapen clods of earth kicked up
Rocks and twisted roots exposed to view
Last year's growth demolished by the blade.
I have plowed my life this way
Turned over a whole history
Looking for the roots of what went wrong
Until my face is ravaged, furrowed, scarred.
Enough. The job is done.
Whatever's been uprooted, let it be
Seedbed for the growing that's to come.
I plowed to unearth last year's reasons -
The farmer plows to plant a greening season.

“Along with all personal suffering comes the grace of God to endure it.
It is an inspired thing to be able to say “God is with me in this pain
and that is all I need” but this too a personal gift of grace to be
able to say. Overcoming the discouragement of our own pain
is an encouraging sense of success and hope that comes
as a gift in the midst of our pain and suffering, but it
is also a choice [gift] to receive.” Alan Gray

[Added for emphasis]

My understanding is that Father indeed knows the plans HE has for
us and they are good. Plans to give us a future and a hope.
We may not see them yet, so for now we walk by faith.
Words are not enough. Possibly this may be enough.

Nomad Dave

"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God."
By Floyd Watson

All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ
and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 2Corinthians 5:18 NIV

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 06:26AM by Nomad Dave.

February 21, 2012 04:47AM
And I am like one where that train of thought has left the station grinning smiley

God is never fully revealed in relationships with people, nor a book, nor a movie, nor our lives. We only see partially, as if in a mirror darkly. There is apparently too much to behold otherwise.

Personally, I believe and expect that there will be times when he feels so distant that I question everything. Questioning everything is a GOOD thing. Religion tells us it is not. So question; go ahead. He doesn't mind - why should he? Questioning is not a lack of faith. Putting your faith in what someone else tells you often is, because you are not owning it for yourself.

And J, I doubt too that it is all about 'reliance' - making you rely upon him. Would you do that to your kids? No, I think it is merely part of the life that we live that is to be expected and even welcomed; a part of humanity. Jesus displayed it for us in the Garden of Bethesda, where he was in such anguish over what he knew he would suffer as a human that he sweated blood. Did God condemn him for that anguish? (rhetorical) Was God putting him through this so that Jesus would rely upon God more? Nope of course not. And Jesus went on to express how very alone he was "Eloi eloi lama sabacthani!" (My god, my god, why have you forsaken me?)

Squish We love you brother! Hang in there, for the times of refreshing will come.

Papa, bring healing to J's body, and strengthening to his soul. We lift him up in Jesus' name!

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
February 21, 2012 06:08AM

Amen to your prayer and encouragement for brother J.
Your thought train was a chuckle Onyx. Was thinking
about this earlier. Thread topics are like
puzzles and the replies are like the
pieces. Putting them together
forms a beautiful picture.
Just a thought or two.
smiling smiley

Nomad Dave

Leave the rest to God."
By Floyd Watson

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 06:18AM by Nomad Dave.

February 21, 2012 01:38PM

Don't know if link will work, if not google courageous conversations Peter Rollins well worth a listen, in part explains his feelings about doubt, which I guess is a common thread.
February 21, 2012 03:29PM
Some stuff from Peter Rollins book insurrection which im still reading and processing, but this is the bit i read directly after i had posted my original question

To participate in the crucifixion means to experience a fundamental loss. On the cross, God as a psychological crutch dies, and we are overtaken by a deeply felt dark night of the soul. We experience the horrifying sense that life lacks any overarching meaning and the realization that there is no supreme gaze that would ensure that our lives have lasting value. At the foot of the cross the old religious certainties (be they doctrinal, social or political) are drained of all operative power, and we are left naked. It is the experience of losing the guiding principle that regulates our time, commands, our resources and dictates our activities. It is the graveyard where religion is buried.
The cross is the moment when we join with Christ in crying out “why have you forsaken me?”
Paraphrasing “ We live with lies or stories we tell ourselves that we have value, meaning, are safe protected as a way to overcome our anxieties. Christianity has become little more than a ideological support of these stratagies, the result is a Christianity that offers us various activities to divert our attention from these anxieties, reaffirms a religious notion of god and confirms we are what we say we believe. The life of faith is thus reduced to a crutch.
.... but resurrection life is not some turning away from the experience of death that we find in the event of crucifixion, but rather describes a way of living in its very midst and finding there a way of truly affirming life.
To experience the crucifixion is to lose all the supports that would protect us from a direct confrontation with the world and with ourselves. We are robbed of all the stories that we construct about God and our own nature. We come face to face with anxiety in its various forms, death meaninglessness and guilt. If this is what it means to experience the crucifixion then what can it mean to participate in the resurrection?
.....It is not some new mode of living that negates all of our suffering , resurrection life will continue to bear the marks of the death we had to undergo. This new mode of living is not one in which the anxiety of death, meaninglessness and guilt are taken away, it is one in which they are robbed of their weight and sting, in this life we do not escape our humanity but rather are invited to delve more deeply into it.
February 22, 2012 02:29AM
Well- I have to say I'm in Wifey's camp.
Wifey
I am beginning to wonder if God is even 'concerned' or 'involved' in my life

If He is, it sure doesn't feel like it. I only hear when I'm in big trouble, like my attitudes.

I feel that most of my prayers go unheeded - like I'm just wasting my time even uttering. I've accused Him of hating me, cause that's sure what it feels like.

I know He's real, but I feel like giving up on this relationship thing, cause I'm really hurting, and nothing seems to change.

My user name means 'member of God's flock' - but think I am just one of those 99 sheep that didn't wander away and that I'm lost in the crowd somewhere with the other 99, and because I didn't wander away, I don't get any time with the shepherd.

Is God enough? I 'should' say yes, but in reality....... ?????

Hope things get better for you J.
February 22, 2012 04:00AM

"I had totally misunderstood the Christian faith. I came to see that it was in
my brokenness, in my powerlessness, in my weakness that Jesus was
made strong. It was in the acceptance of my lack of faith that
God could give me faith.” Mike Yaconelli

"As our faith is strengthened we will find that there is no longer
the need to have a sense of control, that things will flow
as they will, and that we will flow with them,
to our great delight and benefit.”
Emmanuel Teney
(Adapted)

((((((((((((*Cyber-hug*)))))))))))) “When we honestly ask ourselves
which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find
that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions,
or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and
touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand.”
By Henri Nouwen. Sometimes, we just don’t
know why. There appears to be no
one cure fits all. Each of us are
so different and that which is
meaningful to one may
not be meaningful
to another.

Nomad Dave

Leave the rest to God."
By Floyd Watson

February 22, 2012 09:43AM
Dave, I'm so glad you are here and want to hear what you have to say, but for me and this maybe because I'm English I just switch off and skim over posts that have so many pictures and texts in shapes, maybe it's because I struggle just to type and it's far beyond me. What has been so refreshing about ph is "just plain type" people sharing from their gut and it ain't always pretty.

Please please don't take this as a slap, if it's who you are then hang on to it and I'm sure I will adjust, but if you don't need it, I would be able to hear what you are saying and get to know you better, which is what I want to do.
February 22, 2012 10:31PM
No worries mate. It is just a style I adopted, much like having a canvas and creating a painting. But it is time consuming and this is much easier. If I was there, I'd invite you to a pub for a fosters. smileys with beer

February 22, 2012 10:48PM
Thanks Dave, partly due to having a gluten intolerance and partly because I am born and bred in the west country of England, I can't drink ale or lager so I'm a cider man. Do I take from the fosters ref you are from auz or NZ?
February 23, 2012 01:16AM
Amen, it would be good to know you Dave.

- Lenny Bruce
February 23, 2012 01:37AM
Thank you J and Onyx. No, I'm a yank. I think that's what we in the USA are called. The fosters was mentioned in hopes of getting Onxy to our pub gathering. smiling smiley

This was posted by my friend Kent recently on a blog reply: “There are times when you choose to believe something that would normally be considered absolutely irrational. It doesn’t mean that it is actually irrational, but it surely is not rational. Perhaps there is suprarationality: reason beyond the normal definitions of fact or data-based logic; something that only makes sense if you can see a bigger picture of reality. Maybe that is where faith fits in.” The Shack

I later remembered this from Wind Rumors: “If anything matters… everything matters" - comes from the conversation in “The Shack” in which Mack is wondering (as he anticipates his return to ‘real’ life), if what he does in his day-to-day experience even truly matters (has any significance).” Read more here:
[windrumors.com]

I thought the above excerpts and article might be encouraging and provide a ray of hope for others who may be in a dark valley. Even if they have been read before, time has passed and giving it another go may add greater perspective.

February 23, 2012 02:13AM
J(uk)
. . .partly due to having a gluten intolerance. . .

J, thought I’d mention that my wife is being tested for “Gluten Intolerance” or "Celiac Disease” as it is also called and for other food allergies as well. This has been a helpful site:
[www.celiac.com]

In this category are doctors from around the world that have been recommended to Celiac.com as being particularly good with regard to diagnosing and treating celiac disease. We cannot personally vouch for these doctors. Note that they are broken down by country:
[www.celiac.com]

We found a great USA Doctor here:
[www.celiac.com]

How is it going for you dealing with this condition?

Oh, and I did listen to the video and liked his down to earth style very much. I could not view it in firefox even when javascript is checked so had to view it in explorer. Maybe Onyx could shed some light on the firefox non-trot. Over My Head

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 02:35AM by Nomad Dave.

February 28, 2012 05:24PM
Hi y'all. Just wanted to poke my head in here and say that it is SO much easier to read the prose when it's not centered. :-)
Hugs to J for saying something (((J))) and hugs to Dave for hearing it well (((DAVE))).
February 28, 2012 08:44PM
Theresa7
Hi y'all. Just wanted to poke my head in here and say that it is SO much easier to read the prose when it's not centered. :-)
Hugs to J for saying something (((J))) and hugs to Dave for hearing it well (((DAVE))).

And big hugs to (((Theresa7))) for her kindness. Big Hug!

March 05, 2012 02:32PM
Hey guys I just wanted to drop by this monday morning and say hey to J. Thinking of you today. Don't get all the reasons for pain and loss in life. The only thing I have is that we're to be there for each other. I too am in a deep period of questioning and wonder where God is, not so much in my own circumstances, but in history and the world in general. What is keeping me alive to hope is focusing on the beauty around us. Be well my friend J. Don't be afraid to question. Its part of the story part of the journey. Peace you guys, monday morning awaits.
March 05, 2012 06:02PM
Thanks Jon still got lots of crap whizzing round my head but had a surprisingly good day today
March 06, 2012 09:01AM
Dave
Maybe Onyx could shed some light on the firefox non-trot.
Dude, post the link to the page you are having issues with and I'll check it out.
It's most likely your Flashplayer not being up to date for FF (it's a separate download).
Otherwise try Google Chrome. Internet Exploder is trouble...

- Lenny Bruce
March 06, 2012 07:49PM
Onyx,

MY Firefox is awesome!

My flash is trash.
No updates = no worries.winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost