Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Closer?

Posted by J(uk) 
Recent Messages
Closer?
January 24, 2012 01:03AM
So where's everybody at?
Closer to god, engaging in real person fellowship?
If so I'm do pleased and jealous.

I joined a Christian book discussion group with some of my old Christian friends, all of whom seemed pleased to see me and interested in what I had to say, but that is as far as it went, there was no contact outside of that setting.

My Christian friend from the pub, skinny has gone to London to join a bible college, mainly as another attempt to escape drugs, I hope it helps.

Guess I'm missing company, my pub friends are still there still loving, supportive, yet still have a very different take on life sometimes.

I do wonder sometimes if being a free believer whatever that means sometimes can be an excuse that frees us from a need of god, but maybe that's just me, I tried to think of the last time I prayed? Hmm
Re: Closer?
January 24, 2012 02:24AM
Not getting a lot of real fellowship at the moment; that crazy busy time of the year has not subsided yet, and I am hardly the life of the party anyhow winking smiley Enjoy your time at the pub, you do have something special there. Our pubs are seedy holes that are not a place of fellowship so much as a place of getting fissed as a part, and passing out. At least all that I've been to are.

What format does the book discussion group take? I would have difficulty trying to swallow the latest Christian book unless it was telling it like it is rather than asking us to fake it all again.

I do wonder sometimes if being a free believer whatever that means sometimes can be an excuse that frees us from a need of god, but maybe that's just me, I tried to think of the last time I prayed? Hmm

I know what you mean, and I guess it is a trap we can fall into; taking Him for granted. I have made a conscious effort to ask Him about what I am doing on a day-to-day basis... although that is still my efforts, and I am only doing it for me, because I don't want to 'forget' that part. But I also get the impression that He is not that concerned about it. He is just letting me be, and taking life as it comes. No condemnation, you know?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
January 24, 2012 08:24AM
No condemnation was meant by it bro!
And with the company I keep, I'd invite you to my party.

As I was reading your reply I had a flash of inspiration, what if leaving the box is like leaving Egypt? Dad will provide the mana we need daily even if it's not the four course meal we desire.
January 24, 2012 12:17PM
"If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is "Thank You", it will be enough."
~ Meister Eckhart (1260-1328) German Dominican Mystic ~

I believe prayer is as simple as turning our attention toward abba. Beauty & love surround us. If I'm mindful, I'll notice it and that moment is an opportunity to say thanks. Man-made rules burden us with the obligation to set aside a special prayer time, as though that's the best and maybe only valid way to get god's attention. abba is always mindful of each of us and always ready to recieve what ever we have to offer, be it thanks, complaint, plea for help, or "help me in myh unbelief". Open arms, always.
January 25, 2012 08:49AM
Mr J
No condemnation was meant by it bro!
LOL, sorry you took my obtuse language to mean I was thinking I would be condemned. Actually it was meant as ' There is no condemnation for any of us in Christ' because we are in Him, and He is in us. Everything else is irrelevant really. So why do I condemn myself so often you ask? Yep, good question!

As I was reading your reply I had a flash of inspiration, what if leaving the box is like leaving Egypt? Dad will provide the mana we need daily even if it's not the four course meal we desire.
Yeah Give us our daily bread... that makes sense now!
“Pray, then, in this way:

‘Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
‘Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’

Mr Green
"If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is "Thank You", it will be enough."
~ Meister Eckhart (1260-1328) German Dominican Mystic ~
Yeah...that I like that quote!!
But does the passage in Matthew 6 indicate that it is not enough? (Just stirring the pot here... Tomato )

- Lenny Bruce
January 26, 2012 05:22PM
My
This past week has been really crappy at work -- stuff with my boss. Don't really know what is going on, so... I ended up praying about it (if that's what we want to call it). I asked Papa to help me understand, and if not to understand then to at least LOVE and be open to confrontation and correction.

But it was interesting, in the few moments before I "addressed our savior", I had this religious worry that he'd be upset with me -- since it has been so long. But nope. Open, loving Papa. Ready to receive whenever I'm ready to ask for help.

It seems to me that THAT FEAR of not measuring up, of being rejected because of past bad behavior (or lack of "good" behaviour) really can keep us trapped. Trapped in forgetfulness of his love.
But when I remember, remember, remember him and who he is and what he wants (or doesn't ) from me... there I am at peace.

Thanks for sharing the passage, Onyx. :-) read it with new eyes today.

Now back to what you guys were talking about.....
January 27, 2012 07:03AM
Hmmm interesting thoughts j. I guess in many ways i've lost a sense of father, for me prayer is breathing and living and mostly just saying thank you. Idon't know about you guys but i've had enough stretching for a life time. The doubts are still there and the old sense or religious of seeing god is gone, so mostly I'm just living the life that he/ gave me. I'm finding my awareness of him comes from the beauty of life and what is around me. And Onyx what if the lords prayer wasn't an one size fits all description of how we should prayer but rather just simply and answer of the disciples question for the dicciples. Just stirring the pot back at yah.
April 02, 2013 04:56AM
So how are you all doing?????? Big Hug!

- Lenny Bruce
April 02, 2013 10:51AM
It's funny I just looked back at this thread, how long ago was it posted what has changed since?

Well my Christian pub friend came back from bible college, and within a month or so was back on heroine, off his face most of the time and when he was straight he was still forcing god on anyone who would listen. Everyone was saying he was better before he got religion and I would of agreed. He then met a girl and moved in with her and has been off drugs for about 8 months and off god.

Friends from my old church life are still fairly invisible, I have two close Christian friends who are out of church, one mark found out his wife was having an affair with a married man (both her and the man were church leaders) so we have stuff in common.

My pub friends come and go, I'm caught in that the pub blokes disappear when they are in relationships and when they are not their attention tends to be elsewhere, and its not appropriate to have really strong friendships with the pub girls, although they are the ones who show most interest or offer more constructive advice than the blokes "get laid or get drunk".

My life is far more complex and desperate and I find myself seeing God as the only solution and making groans his way, that's the closest I've come to prayer.

How about everyone else.
April 26, 2013 03:50AM
J(uk) just wanted you to know that I frequently wonder about & remember you; wishing I had 'the answers' for you and that I 'knew' beyond a doubt that God would be tangible to you with heaps of good things. The truth is that the later two are more evasive now. I am not assured of God 'working' in people's lives, just that He 'is'.
April 26, 2013 08:37AM
Thanks Wifey
There was a time when i felt i heard from God regularly, spoke in tongues and witnessed miracles, yet was able to not need god, now I do or experience none of those things, yet have more a sense of his presence and a deeper need, go figure.
May 04, 2013 10:11PM
Hey kids... thought I would poke my head in here. Still watching the snow fall outside... have been cooped up mostly by myself since I had my kidney transplant, and that is fine with me, for the time being. I have a few friends that we get together one a month or two, but as the introvert who doesn't go to church, I mostly just listen, and let them catch up on the drama of church, their big families, etc. I am such an oddball as an introvert, without family (yes, married, but it is not much of a family).

It has caused me to go deep, into poetry, and reading, listening, quiet. I watch the snow fall, the birds, my cats by the fire. I work at finding beauty. Have had the health issues, from this disease, to a car wreck.

As time goes on, I have been more hanging out with photographers out watching birds, or artists. But for now, that is fine. Just doing some detoxing from the noise of the commercial/political/religious world, and communing with my cats and nature.

I can barely remember all those religious days, with the hocus pocus. And honestly, I am closer to God than I ever have been, in that with the crapola out of the way, and the illusions shown for what they are, I can see the beauty in the mystery of what really is. I have my depressions, but I find great beauty and solace in the simplest things.
May 05, 2013 12:35AM
Nice one Heather. "Thumbs up"
May 31, 2013 01:58PM
Things are good yet moderately tough. I'm no longer feeling the need to express my thoughts like I used to mainly because I'm doing a lot of introspective awareness in an attempt to be more healthy for those I love and for myself.
Music helps greatly, writing and playing. I think getting over the bitterness of organized evangelical paradigms was a nessacary yet somewhat looking back a sort of cringe effect.

I feel more aware of the present now even though the constant tide of worry and regret , future and past pull on me relentlessly. Some days I handle it far better then others. the minute I think I'm making some sort of huge gain I get an unexpected call or somebody dusts off the familiar button that I assumed was not wired any longer. Silly really..endurance is just that...

So, the lil' princesses in my life are keeping me very busy...I'm eating better , losing weight , getting fit..blah blah...it's been a complete war....it seems...but.....really...silently I'm just walking small step under the radar with a desire to be invisible more that usual .

Hope your all...I see some of you facebook...peace.
May 31, 2013 06:25PM
radio roswell
silently I'm just walking small step under the radar with a desire to be invisible more that usual .

I get that; and yet I couldn't explain 'why' I was feeling that way to myself.
June 25, 2013 11:11PM
Revisting Psalms at the moment.

Seems to be very encouraging reading and praying and studying some.

The outcome... He Loves me and is my deliverer.

LH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost