Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Fog

Posted by J(uk) 
Recent Messages
Fog
November 10, 2011 12:44PM
Fog

Ancient Celtic monks often talked of their dislike of fences that controlled held them in and their love of walking in fog not being able to see where they are going, I am exploring this concept in terms of God.

Peter Rollins in his book how not to talk of god says there are 3 types of things 1 the imagined like a unicorn 2 visible things like a horse which we can see and our mind can process and 3 things that our mind cannot contain like God.

He goes on to say we need to be both believers and atheists at the same time, we believe in the aspects of god that our own individual mind can contain but cannot believe that this god exists in its entirety.  The god we can believe in cannot be the fullness of the god that exists.

God isn't a god that has limited us of our knowledge of him by hiding parts of his being from us, we are not in darkness searching for light but the reverse, we are immersed in all of god and it is too much for us to take in.

The scary part is losing the sense that by my efforts I will know god an accepting that I will never know god fully, but that he knows me fully.

In the fog it is not searching for the light or the fog to break but embracing the fog the unknown, taking the parts nearby that the fog allows me to see, processing those parts yet understanding that others in the fog are seeing other parts and not only is there do much more out there accepting that we are within that which we search for.

More to follow
Re: Fog
November 11, 2011 02:03PM
This is REALLY good stuff.

And when I bump into somebody in the fog, they can share with me the part they've seen, and I can do the same, and it expands our vision. What you said, J, reminded me of this:
Jeremiah 23:23
"Am I a God near at hand", says the Lord, "and not a God afar off? Can anyone hide himself in secret places, so I shall not see him? Do I not fill heaven and earth?"
and
Acts 17:27-28
"...so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being."
So why, in God's early relationship with humans, did he emphasize his separateness from us? that God was whole and we are not? If we use the analogy of fog, when Jesus became flesh and dwelt among us, did God come into the fog with us, or did God give us more visibility in the fog?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost