Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

What do you miss?

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
What do you miss?
October 18, 2011 06:59PM
What do you miss from the old, religious life?

I've been thinking I miss the certainty of knowing that I am right just because a guy in a suit told me what to think...now I have the delicious uncertainty of not knowing if I really do have the truth, if the way I am going is just a spur-of-the-moment fabrication. The benefit of being a sheeple is that I don't have to think; I can be lazy...which is my natural tendency.

So what do you miss?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: What do you miss?
October 18, 2011 08:26PM
I don't think I miss anything because I always felt there was sometime else and questioned why the man in the suit knew more
than me. It was never comfortable either. Went to high school with the minister's son and I knew what he was out doing on Saturday night and then would get up there on Sunday morning to preach with his father. Didn't make sense to me. So I guess I knew that there was another level to knowing God than church.

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
October 19, 2011 09:49AM
Hhhhmmmm it's easier to say what I don't miss!

If I'm honest I miss the regular real body contact with believers, even though now that the regular set meetings and prescribed, because you share a common belief you must try and like each other has gone, this has dried up hence showing it wasn't real at the time!

I miss having people around to turn to even though it was out of I must be there for j because god will love me more for it.

It is the matrix question when the reality is grey hard and lonely the illusion of colour life and friends become very tempting, but once you know it's a sham you can't return.
October 19, 2011 11:10AM
We had some good times in our home group. There were different people that came & went, but there was this basic core of people I really liked. Sometimes I remember a particularly interesting discussion we got into, or helping someone thru a crisis, or having a potluck meal together, and I get nostalgic.

But reality is, that group only happened because it was inside the framework of institutional church. We didn't hang out together outside of church. Now I wish I'd made more of an effort to do so. In fact, there are a LOT of things I would do differently if I could be in that home group again.

I Love This!
a sheeple
October 19, 2011 04:42PM
Onyx, I can't tell if you miss being a sheeple, or not!?
October 19, 2011 06:51PM
Laughing I kind of miss the cosy, pandered-to side of being a sheeple. But I wouldn't trade it for this adventure; being a wild mountain goat. You don't get to see the heights and the beauty as a sheeple; you don't know what you can really become with your butt glued to a pew staring at a stage performance.

Yes like you, I have fond memories of time spent with home groups, and though these were mostly artifices brought about by the institution, I miss the time in small groups discussing God. But then again everything was so prescribed by our "leadership" in order to avoid us becoming wild mountain goats, that eventually that is one of the things that hurt me most. No growth = no life = stagnation = death.

J man
It is the matrix question when the reality is grey hard and lonely the illusion of colour life and friends become very tempting, but once you know it's a sham you can't return.
Yeah, that!

- Lenny Bruce

October 19, 2011 10:06PM
I wonder if our view of sheep and shepards are based on a western fields and fences view
October 19, 2011 10:17PM
Yeh, J, good point. The Middle Eastern shepherd had a roaming flock, that he would guide, and protect from wolves, bears, lions. In green grassy lands like ours everybody sticks their sheep into fenced areas...protect them from the wild, but also stop them from exploring.

So as sheep outside the fence line we need to rely even more upon the shepherd of our souls, eh?

- Lenny Bruce

October 20, 2011 09:48AM
Yo Yeh all Sheeple's!!

I miss nothing, it was only a facade, it had virtually no depth, no light and no real joy outside of the confines of a fence! Is that really what the Shepard had in mind?

Now I cant get enough of Jesus and His father - to live with him and have him sit at my table - a humble 'sheeple'! To sit at his feet. To commune with the living God, and not told "You need to learn the 7 steps of the effectual Sheeple before you can truly know him" or felt shamed because you cant talk about 'knowing him' like that - because WE have the corner of the 'Paddock' and if you dont see it that way we will help you see it - our way! Woof! or is that Wolf?

(Col 1:27 [ISV])
to whom God wanted to make known the glorious riches of this secret among the gentiles—which is the Messiah in you, our glorious hope.

Have you found the kingdom yet?

LH
October 20, 2011 01:50PM
I miss the human contact and the joy (in the good days) of serving others, before I found out that they were only taking...and not willing to love and serve me when I needed help. I was under the illusion that I could find my purpose in giving my all to serve others.Cleaning Poo hitting fan

W.I.P. (Work in Progress)
Learning to Live LOVED
October 20, 2011 07:00PM
I miss the illusion of community that the IC gave.

It's a bit like the whole enigma of believing in God.

You know he must be real because all these other people that you can see are 'worshipping' Him.

When you are free believing, it seems a bit harder to believe that God is 'as real' as he seems to those in the IC; and that community/church has been re-defined on a smaller scale.

God becomes less of 'what He can do for me?' and more of 'who is He?'.

Church changes from an institutional programme to random discussions among people IRL and Online - 'iron sharpening iron'.

So if you are asking 'what do you miss about the institutional programme, the answer is nothing.

If however the question is, do you wish you knew more people in your community at large that were free believing, the answer is yes that would be encouraging.

What I am still trying to fathom the most, is why could I have not emerged from the IC earlier, and as a result become a better person, lived my life more fully etc?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 07:06AM by Wifey.
October 20, 2011 09:34PM
Wifey
I see asking the question who god is as a brilliant step forward from being told god is like this and this is how you believe in him.

I think the beauty is in hearing more and more people ask that question and in sharing parts of the answer each finds thus having a larger god revealed.

Onyx on sheep in England we have moors that are wild common land where anyone can graze their sheep, they wonder freely across the lands and even roads and are marked with each farmers mark, then at different times of the year the farmers together round up the sheep and claim their own.
October 20, 2011 09:47PM
Wifey
If however the question is, do you wish you knew more people in your community at large that were free believing, the answer is yes that would be encouraging.
Yes yes yes, totally agree. The only free believers I know are online. I know you guys are all real! ~~ it's just we can't get together in bodily form. That really gets to me sometimes. Bad day
October 29, 2011 05:39PM
Yeah...that
Rhea
I miss the human contact and the joy (in the good days) of serving others

1. I miss seeing people blossom when you really sat down and talked with them about what was going on in their lives.
2. I miss running up to the shy lady who came back to church and who looked genuinely relieved and delighted that you remembered her.
3. I miss singing together (although, I couldn't sing the same songs now and mean many of them).
4. I miss the approval of others and thinking I had the approval of God because of my service.

NO, I don't want to go back; I've seen behind my own curtain, so the last 2 just don't do it for me anymore -- I've taken the red pill. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill)
But I really do long for the first two.

Maybe I need to join a club or something -- like a quilting circle or an art class.... something to be around people outside of work.

Good question, Onyx. I'm glad you asked it.
October 30, 2011 04:09AM
Good Post! yeh, I miss those things too. It's much easier to encourage one another in a face-to-face environment.

Joining a club is a good idea! This weekend I was with fellow homeschoolers, where we were selling our old books...didn't sell much, but got to listen and share in what Papa is doing in our lives...funny how many are now ditching the Boxed religion... winking smiley

- Lenny Bruce
October 30, 2011 06:31PM
T
Maybe I need to join a club or something -- like a quilting circle or an art class.... something to be around people outside of work.
Excellent idea, I've thought of it many times as well. In 6 years when I retire, I am totally looking forward to taking classes of all kinds. Wish I could find the time now...

O
funny how many are now ditching the Boxed religion...
Really, Onyx? I'm out of that loop, but often wonder if the ranks of the formerly churched are growing faster than the ranks of the just-joining. Hmmm. I know my mom says her church is shrinking in members too. Makes me wonder if we were kind of on the first wave of a trend??
October 30, 2011 10:16PM
Having spent an evening with a new Christian skinny he said how much he loved and needed church, I find that cool I'm happy with him and others finding god wherever even in the box
October 31, 2011 10:02AM
Far be it from me to be a trend-setter, Shell! That would really mean the end of the world as we know it grinning smiley

Yeh, J, just because it's a box, doesn't mean that God cannot use what's in it... it's just when the box becomes preeminent that it really is an issue. And for young believers, the fellowship is a great thing. It's just us old fuddies that find that it was almost all faked. God doesn't not let anything go to waste in our lives...it is all used somehow to shape us.

- Lenny Bruce
November 06, 2011 10:50PM
I don't know what I miss..... I guess I still am so turned off by the shallow stuff from the "box" that I don't know. But as I am back in Alaska, after so much love given to me from around the globe..... and am in the dark, cold of winter here, mostly alone, I am missing some deep conversations. My girl friends (most of which still go to the box) and I have started meeting weekly again. I have to listen to the "prophesy" stuff, and don't miss that. But I am not offended by the stuff (that I actually brought to the group) because I know that these people truly do love, and they love me as I am. That wasn't the case in the building.

I also am wanting to get back into meeting with some of my artist friends, and getting wild and crazy with them, talking about beauty, paint, color......

Also, I am considering visiting an Orthodox church, and another friend of mine who has also left the box, is thinking the same, and wanting to visit with me. Now I will be "going" with different ideas, and no longer with the same expectations.

Seasons of life......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost