Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

There's a Box?!!

Posted by J(uk) 
Recent Messages
There's a Box?!!
March 25, 2011 01:36PM
Just got Rob Bells book Drops like stars as a bit of light relief from "Love Wins" more pictures less to get my head round

On on page he says this
"There's a phrase we use when we're describing something we consider fresh and unexpected, we say its out of the box. The problem with the phrase is that when something or someone is judged to be in or out of the box, it reveals that the box isstill our primary point of reference, were still operating within the prescribed boundaires and assumptions of how things are supposed to be.

"Out of the box" is something merely another way of being in the box.

But there are those who come from a totally different place, they ask another kind of question: "There's a box?"
Re: There's a Box?!!
March 25, 2011 09:43PM
I have been thinking about this and I don't think the logic is quite right.

"Out of the box" is something merely another way of being in the box.

That is like saying that day is like night, or cold is like hot, short is like tall.

Day and night are our delineations of time based on the absence or presence of light.

Cold and hot are difference in temperature.

Short and tall are different heights.

Therefore saying that referencing the "box" to say one is in it or out of it, means they are still in it, seems flawed.

Is it not more logical to say that 'in the box' and 'out of the box' are different perspectives (on a continuum) of our relationship with God?

If we examine everything closely then we might have to admit that our references to many things depend on a comparative association. Does that then mean that when we say we are "happy" that we are actually still sad; or that if we are "satisfied" we are actually still hungry?
March 25, 2011 10:28PM
Not sure I agree which is fine, what I love is the zaporizing of the box of barriers and division. Perhaps the statement should be "there isn't a box" the box only exists in our eyes not in gods so it has no value for me, god if he is worth anything can breath life into the most dry bones and I guess I feel it's fallacy to claim you are dry bones and I am in life as if anything that limits our understanding of god.
March 26, 2011 01:59AM
well - logical or not - I like the retort ... "there's a box?" - as if I'm supposed to have been in one to begin with
March 26, 2011 02:24AM

As a kid, I used to love playing inside the box. When I grew up, I realized the box was inside me.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce

March 26, 2011 05:43PM
onyx
As a kid, I used to love playing inside the box. When I grew up, I realized the box was inside me.
Yeah...that

Reminds me of "Toast"'s tagline -- something about how some people work hard to stay in the lines, others are always crossing the line without regard for the consequences, and still others say, "there's a line?"
Laughing
March 26, 2011 11:05PM
:p

There's a box.

A) So for those that are in a "formal" gathering and meet in a large building with lots of others, hands up who believe they are 'not' in a box?"

cool smiley So for those that believe that they are not in a "box" then describe where your at?

Are we talking about a box that has walls or are we talking about a state of faith? What then has walls?

LH
pass the cream, i'm expanding my walls!
March 26, 2011 11:30PM
I don't know, I have a few friends who are either out of the box or are climbing the Walls the meet once a week to wrestle the issues in their safe homes another box in the making I would rather wrestle with them and my pub friend together away from the safety of walls
March 27, 2011 07:44AM
Theresa7
onyx
Yeah...that

Reminds me of "Toast"'s tagline -- something about how some people work hard to stay in the lines, others are always crossing the line without regard for the consequences, and still others say, "there's a line?"
Laughing

Agreed! He's a wise fella, that Toast, even if a bit rough on himself at times...wish he would drop by and grace us with his presence occasionally!

LH: I'm thinking there is a box that I am still in; the box of my own limitations, which I will never fully escape this side of perfection. And that's okay. But the box I want to avoid is religious dogmatic thinking and practice; and I'm managing to accomplish that winking smiley
We don't need to be in a 'church' to be inside a box, as Theresa's blog 'testimony' is alluding to.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
March 29, 2011 01:22AM
Just had to share Toast's full tag line --- good stuff:

Some people know where The Line is and do not cross it because they regard others' sensibilities.
Some people know where "The Line" is and cross it for kicks because they feel restricted by The Line.
I fall in the third class of people, those who look round puzzled and say "There's a Line?"
March 30, 2011 01:53AM
There is a box..

but it's not a building or organization. But an ideology. A construct of collective understanding of how "ought to and should be ETC. It's there although it's not always tangible enough to put a finger on..it sprouts fruit that is clearly seen..like any system of ideas..

It has a cause and effect....and I deal with it a lot..My wife my relatives, friends still trying to follow the ideals..they effect me..cause I'm in contrast to it..

this contrast is a necessary part of following your own working out of salvation..

therefore it's there. Now what I think is the intent is..let's not make it about that. The box that is.

Ok..I agree.. But..I'm not there yet..getting closer though. I have less in common anymore spiritually in that area..Becoming more human too..this is easing the tension..to be honest..I find i really don't care as much as I used to....

But

now I have to figure out of that's a good thing.I don't know.
March 30, 2011 08:06AM
I guess my feeling is that there is only one right way and that is gods way of love and freedom, such simply words that confound all. If there is a box at all it is an eternal box beyond constraints and limits. Whether we create our own box inside gods box or stand outside trying to pull down others boxes we are focusing on something so small rather than living in the vastness of gods box or purpose, not limiting god but limiting our perspective of god.
April 01, 2011 08:43PM
For me - I think the "box" for some is a mindset that is identified with what alot of people recognize now as "organized religion" or some of the seeds of the flesh?

Mark 6 speaks much on breaking the human tradition setup by the 'Experts of the law' yet that is not to say that all teachers have no heart for the sheep. If it wasnt for 'some' of the teaching by many godly folk we would not have known what freedom was? After all the spoken word of God has power, right?

What did Jesus say about being free...
John 8:31 Then Jesus said to those Judeans who had believed him, “If you continue to follow my teaching, you are really my disciples, and you will "know" the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

The way the truth and the life, ultimately came by one "key"!

Old Song come to mind here...
"To know Him, to know Him is the cry of my heart.
Spirit reveals Him to me.
To hear what He’s saying brings life to my soul.
To know Him, to know Him alone.

we dont often sing this part though?

To know You, to know You is the cry of my heart.
Jesus, Your face now I seek.
To hear what You're saying brings life to my soul.
To know You, to know You alone

Blessings in Papa's love for each day along the way.
LH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost