Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Love wins anybody

Posted by J(uk) 
Recent Messages
Re: Love wins anybody
April 22, 2011 12:27PM
For me it's not a fear of getting another perspective at all..but a warped one that will not serve the image of the one I have. I have been in enough churches and have experienced what kind of logos they try to serve and burden me with as they are.

That's fine if they want that. I wouldn't deny anyone the freedom to seek out that which they perceive to be God.But don't put it on me. Sometimes like in past experiences i had to leave such institutions.

I do agree that we all contain glimpses and perspectives of God.But the filtering practices of some through their own theology and interpretation and doctrinal viewpoint make such contrasting division that it's hard to see past.

this is a multi dimensional world..and things have sides to them..even causes and religious philosophy and spiritual workings.

My goal now is to fellowship with those less certain about their own faith so that we can discuss that aspect and hopefully find more faith and what it is exactly..and theology for that matter. That's a tribe I'd like to build refuge for and has been to a degree in sites and forums like this and Free Believers and The God Journey.. Not to be exclusive but because it's needed IMO. An independence of ideas is needed from that cultural Evangelical machine. Or at least a place to vent and rest.

It's brutal out there..the spiritual abuse is just causing such havoc on people. especially here in the states because it's such a huge part of our culture as Americans.It must be hard to understand why Rob Bell is getting such flack..but for me living in the Bible Belt of America..it makes all the sense in the world.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 12:32PM by radio roswell.
April 22, 2011 06:27PM
J(uk)
Theres also something I'm trying to process via "Peter Rollins" and that's about having enough faith to doubt, to not have to be right but to experience more of god through being wrong, doubting and questioning why you believe.

Agreed That takes a lot of faith. I want to have more of that kind of faith. To know that I can freely explore because HE holds ME and not the other way around.

I used to go to multiple churches / youth groups at once. Partly because I was a church-junky, but also because I loved seeing how people are people and we all want the same thing (a relationship with God) no matter where we go to church.

Wise Wifey
it is the differences that religious folks hold on to and not the similarities. What is really so different about one denomination to another?

Yeah...that

I know when I find myself wanting to draw a line in the sand, its because I'm afraid of what's on the other side. I'm afraid of where that person's ideology might lead me. But when I get over that fear and just explore it (knowing who is holding me secure), then the line seems so childish.
April 22, 2011 07:11PM
Rob bell always talks about there being no where in the bible that talks about people having a personal relationship with god, and I have often struggled with that concept but he also talks about the fact that there is no bible word for spiritual in that everything is spiritual, I guess my take is that god wants is building a relationship with all of creation and we can partake in all aspects of that.

Theresa I truely believe god is building a relationship in and with you that is sound and solid, he wants you to question and doubt, learn and explore. To hear others viewpoints and reflect on the truths you know and hold not to fear about being influenced by them.
April 28, 2011 07:00AM
Proverbs 20:27 Kjv
The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.

(Rev 3:20 [HCSB])
Listen! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and have dinner with him, and he with Me.

So Lets have dinner!

LH
April 29, 2011 03:22PM
One of the things that I love to do when I have met folks from previous forums is break bread and wine..I've broken tacos and margaritas..coffee and danish..chicken and beer..you name it..

it has always been so cool to meet folks in 3-D. If anyone is ever in Atlanta..give me a shout..I've even met folks in the airport.
April 29, 2011 11:57PM
if i am EVER in atlanta,

i am shouting out at my jeff!
May 01, 2011 08:24PM
...trying to win Lotto so I can bring everyone to Kiwi-land...Laughing

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
May 02, 2011 12:43AM
onyx
...trying to win Lotto so I can bring everyone to Kiwi-land...Laughing

NZ is on my top ten list of places to see.

Hey Shelly..let me know..Holla..
May 03, 2011 08:28PM
J(uk)
Rob bell always talks about there being no where in the bible that talks about people having a personal relationship with god, and I have often struggled with that concept but he also talks about the fact that there is no bible word for spiritual in that everything is spiritual, I guess my take is that god wants is building a relationship with all of creation and we can partake in all aspects of that.

Hey, it just occurred to me, could Rob Bell be saying that all there is to know isn't in THE BIBLE? That there's a whole lot more to it than what is "formulated" in the Bible? For instance, relationship? Just wondering..... yeah.
May 04, 2011 12:04AM
I attended a summer camp in the 80's where a speaker told us that the Bible was a Love Story. It was the greatest Love Story. The story of how much God Loves us all. I never forgot that....

Seems that the whole thing screams relationship and love and spirituality, whether or not the term is stated explicitly.
May 04, 2011 01:10AM
Agreed

If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him. John 14:7

Looks clear to me that scripture speaks of relationship with God through Jesus. Quite explicit smiling smiley

- Lenny Bruce
May 04, 2011 12:53PM
I agree with All above points, but maybe when he says it's not about a personal relationship, he is not meaning you don't have that but it's not that small or limited. In that my personal view / relationship is just part of it it's not complete, it needs to connect with the relationship breathed into creation and into the views lives opinions of others even those who have differing view points. I see only a small part of gods love, if I claim it is the only view point I will only ever acknowledge that view. However if I view through the eyes of others, those sharing gods love through joy or tradgedy not to swap my view but add to it I gain a bigger picture.
May 06, 2011 12:52PM
I'm more impressed with this guy each time I see him interviewed. Here's an interview debate on a UK talk show. Here's a perfect example of what awaits me in my journey of coming against " the box" or " side dimensions" of this 3-d church body.This is a good example of keeping composure and honest direct conversation.A big thumbs up. It seems they use the same old arguments to trap and manipulate the intention of one's own working out of salvation to a more conclusive collective traditional standard. This has been my experience as well.

Here's the interview debate with Rob Bell over love wins.

[www.premier.tv]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 12:55PM by radio roswell.
May 06, 2011 10:59PM
Thanks for posting this, don't know who the blogger guy was, but thought it sad that he had his set opinion that he wouldn't change from. Although rb's smirk sometimes deserved a slap, sometimes I wished he'd say what he really wanted to say rather than doing the politian thing.

Still choosing to believe in Christ that did finish the power of sin on the cross.

Accept no subsistutes!
May 07, 2011 02:46PM
I understand that smirk to a degree J.

Yes..one day I too will gain enough courage to just let it rip..no sugar needed..But part of it comes from I think living in the states. The mindset of traditional ( grandma's Christianity) is deeply woven into the fabric of our culture. And there's no shortage of it across the pond as well I sure. But i don't think it's as vast due to geography and sheer volume of cultured history. I once had a friend from England whom I debated before in another forum..when I started trying to understand where he was coming from and arriving at in his traditional fundy attitudes..just out of curiosity..I noticed that soon after he stopped all contact with me..a lesson for sure.

See there's an insecurity that arises when the conflicting contrast of traditionalism meets a more working out independent mindset. because under the surface there is always the tension of feeling judged for not following the same method on each end.The defensiveness is always there and sometimes loses focus. "The Discussion".

Although your heritage is also soundly based with a church of England deeply woven into the fabric..ours is still very relevant to some degree with our patriotism and "Christian Nation" forefathers..mentality. we're constantly being barraged with " Taking our country back and American biblical marriage foundations The forefathers were hardly the fundies I think they think of.I doubt they were the kind of folks who could find common language or experience at a southern Baptist church picnic..

( So what do you do George or is it Mr. Washington?? now that your not fighting from crown rule..??"
"Well I make whiskey and grow hemp..for clothing of course.
."winking smiley *sigh* the romantic notion is still there besides the point.

It's hard to get by that first line of defense in all things traditional. Usually the smirk is a recognition of such things like mentally saying " really?? were going there really ?? " I've been there and done that a thousand times with folks..I'm sure Rob has X infinity

After 4 years of other forums I can tell you it's pointless to debate that kind of mind set..but then again I didn't write a book either that demanded I answer for..as long as I duck out in like minded forums..I'll be ok...although I now have enough material in postings to write such a book..thinking of calling it " The Black Sheep Chronicles"

I feel those days being challenged at some point..as I become more bold....blog?? book?? don;t know..

But then I also realize where these folks are. I too was once in the grips of the fundy camp of keeping my theology subscription close to my heart.

perhaps a thread of understanding or showing the environment of where I live for my International friends....for perspective..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2011 04:35PM by radio roswell.
May 07, 2011 04:43PM
Love the book title Jeff!
May 07, 2011 08:20PM
Jeff, I just discovered this blog today: Christians Tired of Being Misrepresented Been reading some of the comments and opinions, and thought of you...
May 07, 2011 09:41PM
J(uk)
Love the book title Jeff!

then it's settled..that's what I'm going with....thanks J
May 07, 2011 09:42PM
C Shell
Jeff, I just discovered this blog today: Christians Tired of Being Misrepresented Been reading some of the comments and opinions, and thought of you...

thanks for the link Shelly..looks my kind of site. Checking it out now..
May 08, 2011 09:41AM
There was a newspaper clip i noticed today

"Two 'Churches' merge"
Apparently one Baptist and another non-denomination one, the later could not find a building to have 'church' (stop laughing its not funny) So after using school halls etc they ended up in discussion with the local Baptist Pastor. They had a combined service and 'everyone loved it' - 'it was like meeting up with old friends' (stop laughing i say). In the end after more discussion and no doubt much pray, they argred to merge ..... but.. have independent services (stop laughing or your'll get a smacked bottom)

LH
(Gimme that old time religion, that old time religion......really old old song)
May 09, 2011 01:09AM

Mark 11:12-14 (New International Version, ©2011)

Jesus Curses a Fig Tree

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.

Couldn't help myself guys Happy Dance
May 09, 2011 07:30AM
Good Post! Love it Eric!

- Lenny Bruce
May 09, 2011 01:11PM
Or was it the the idea of the Fig leaf he hated? remember that this was man and woman's first attempt at underwear? AND the birth of religion.

That's ok God we got it..we'll do the covering..

I think Jesus was taking a lil' revenge on that..because it had no fruit..( figs) just like religious activity.

Just a thought..

Ok I gotta lil' theological there..it happens.Warrior We now return you to light and funny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 01:14PM by radio roswell.
May 09, 2011 04:54PM
SkinnyDippinginHisGrace
[attachment 196 screenshot_01.jpg]
Rofl I laughed out loud -- and I was AT WORK!!! :-) Thanks for this!
May 10, 2011 04:12AM
why couldn't have been brussel sprouts...
May 10, 2011 11:16AM
Hey Jon! I love brussels sprouts!
May 10, 2011 01:28PM
You kill cabbages when they're babies eeewww.
May 13, 2011 08:57PM
Even my dog LOVES brussel sprouts! :-) Yep -- get 'em when they're young.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost