Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Worry about Worry

Posted by williamfens 
Recent Messages
Worry about Worry
March 12, 2011 11:23AM
Have any of you run across the conundrum in which you worry about being worried? Have you ever found yourself saying, "I'm worried. Does that mean I 'don't have enough faith?' If I'm worried about worrying... aw crap..."

My wife has been running across this lately; to the point of being anguished when her little nephew's prayers "didn't work" in getting rid of a headache she had.

My thinking is that God loves to comfort us, but isn't looking to punish us for worrying or "not having enough faith." Again, considering God as a parent; what parent would say, "Sorry, my child, but you seem worried so I'm just gonna have to let you suffer more." It seems more probable that, as a parent, God may allow us to "cry it out" from time to time...
Re: Worry about Worry
March 12, 2011 02:49PM
williamfens
It seems more probable that, as a parent, God may allow us to "cry it out" from time to time...
Good Post!
I agree. I don't think that God is not upset with us when we worry. He may be (and I think he IS) concerned for our well-being (our peace, i.e. desiring the best for us in that we are in relationship with the Prince of Peace), but he's not bummed by our lack of faith.

I picture him letting us "cry it out" in his arms, rather than sending us to our room and telling us to "get our act together".

I'm reminded of when the Israelites told Moses, "You go for us." -- presumably because they were afraid of God. I think this grieved God.
Why do we (the church / society) still hold to this idea that God wants to smite us for our frailty?
Seems to be where the IC gets their control over people, ya think?
March 12, 2011 04:22PM
As a card-carrying, world-class worrier, what comforts me is that Jesus said we only needed a grain-of-sand's worth of faith, and I always have that much. If I didn't, I wouldn't be turning my heart towards him; I'd be turning it away from him. and it's the turning-towards-him that pleases him, I believe.
wise wf
God loves to comfort us, but isn't looking to punish us for worrying or "not having enough faith."
that's what I believe. and another phrase you said,

considering God as a parent
holds much truth. if we can look at things through the God Is A Loving Parent glasses, things take on a whole new slant. I think he's maybe sorry or sad when we're all tied up in knots of worry, but I don't think he's angry or displeased. He knows our whole story.
March 12, 2011 11:21PM
Hi and ((( to you both)))

williamfens
"... conundrum in which you worry about being worried? ..."

... It seems more probable that, as a parent, God may allow us to "cry it out" from time to time...

Well as for me, I have "Never" had that problem..... yeh right! It does seem to be one of those 'feelings' the flesh 'puts out' every now and again. Thats a real problem with a 'living sacrifice'. One almost wants to put a 'paw' on it and slap it into submission sometimes!

Remember when Jesus was talking to his deciples and telling them not to 'fear man'?
In Luke 11, Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he stopped, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

Jesus needed them to understand that faith in pray was 'living and active', so he told them about a man who needed help at night from a friend for a guest who stopped at his house. Yet for his 'persistence' he was helped with what he needed.
It wasn't a case of "I asked once and that was it, he said no, so i left..." Gosh think how many times kids ask us for something and the first answer we give them is "no (or) dont ask again" - but then they ask again later until we either teach them why "No" (if they are old enough to understand it) or we grant them some "form" of a yes in a way we believe that will not hurt them... all things considered...!

Sure - the disciples were not kids, yet they too were on a learning curve ... (their God Journey)

So what can we expect?

“So I tell you: Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened"

For what kind of a father will not look after His children?

Jesus later set free a man from a demon, near by were the "experts in religious law" Again the challenge of the status quo. How did the people respond, after all the aforementioned were experts in the law??
Can you see what was happening to their hearts let alone their feelings?

Again later in Luke 18:1 with a widow and Prayer and the Parable of the Persistent Widow - "Then Jesus told them a parable to show them they should always pray and not lose heart"

I sure Dad above heard that precious nephews prayer, I'm just wondering what he was build at that time though? For your wife to be healed of a headache (my wife suffers from muscular tension headaches alot) or was it something else in your nephews heart that happened?

Do not loose heart, persist, keep the communications going, Trust Him and never give up, do not be anxious about anything but in all things - pray!

Its not a "we can get Him to give in if we keep asking" kind of thing, but a belief in what we ask for He knows what we need.

Big Hug!
LH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost