Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

The Old Home Town - Visit

Posted by Lionhearted 
Recent Messages
The Old Home Town - Visit
August 04, 2012 11:04PM
Have recently been given the opportunity to travel down to Wellington to catchup with friends and do some genealogy stuff. Will be travelling by myself and only a few things to do.
1) Get into the ceiling of my parents house to find any remaining old records that were left behind 25yrs ago. The ppty is now turned into flats - so we need access, time and a ladder! grinning smiley
2) Find some cemetery records and some locations - that could blow some dust off things!
3) Take some photos - looking forwards to this one most of all.
4) Share life in this crazy world with some folks. - I hope to located some friends lost touch as-well.

Leaving the Bay 10th Aug.

God Bless you all in His Care.

LH
Re: The Old Home Town - Visit
August 05, 2012 04:52AM
About time Lionhearted for #1 - didn't you say some were hidden in the stairs too? So excited for you. I may be able to help with a ladder in Wellington if you can pick it up - are you driving down? Where are you staying?

Petone Library may also be a good help with your research for #2 and besides. It would pay to contact the sexton's before you head off and get plans and directions, especially if you are visiting Taita Cemetery.

The Wellington City Council have archived property records in Petone too, but it is by appointment only.

Remember there are the National Archives too - possibly shipping records, probates, etc ......

Let me know if I can help further.
Re: The Old Home Town - Visit
August 23, 2012 02:15AM
Yeh I know its been a bit of a long hual!

The trip went by too fast! Great weather in Wgtn on Friday, Sat and bucketing down on Sunday. So I asked "Dad" if he would make a small space for me - Dry - where i needed to get to at the buriel sites. A mate offered up a huge pair of gummies (gumboots) and off i went.
Had already 'checked in' with the office staff at the Cemertary - um maybe i need to rephrase that!? You know what i mean... so had all the info i was going to need to locate 'folks'
The Karori Cem is the oldest in Welington I believe, and by some of the locations I needed to walk to - it looked it. Being built ... um subdivided ... um ... you know... lol on the hill side some areas had literally "dropped" off the edge! (Goes its hard to write this without punning) But for my wondering both were good, well 1 unknown plot and one both Mother and daugther resided. And I think I had a lead on the Husband at the "unknown plot" site.

So I did the 'clean up' thing and the stones came up ok, needed a good scrub though. No problems with major trees near by, but the usual - cement sunk issues were preverlent. (Nice subject eh!) Hmmmm

Confession though ... I felt I really needed to "introduce myself" as I cleaned em up! So 'we' had a little chat and then took their photos arfter... Here is one photo of a 'small' valley in the nearby location i trudged, mud up to my shins! NO you wont see them in any of the shots!!

So time was not on my side to do everything I wanted to do, some things were closed and others just not home!
Wonderful friends and great hospitality made up for the downsides. So farewell Wellywood - until we meet again.

So back home to my "paddock"!

LH

tired n sore - too long a trip in a car, next time i'll take a pillow! lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2012 02:19AM by Lionhearted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost