Advanced

The Computer Corner Head Bang

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
Re: The Computer Corner Head Bang
November 17, 2009 11:39PM
Onyx
http://papashome.com/mods/smileys/images/hammerpc.gif

Onyx this is the best User Manual I have ever seen .... definitely at my level of understanding and use.

However as one cannot afford to keep replacing aggravating things like computers, here comes Basic Computer Question No. 597....

When I go to use the Smileys when I am posting like this and I click on the 'Smiley' icon the box with them all bouncing and grinning pops up on my screen but it is so far to the left of my screen that most are obscured. And I can't seem to 'drag' or what ever said box to where I can see and access all those lovely Smileys.

Can you help me out .... please?
November 18, 2009 12:19AM
Hmmm, that's an interesting one Gill. Knowing the age of the browser you are running, I dare say that the issue is one of your machine needing an update. See if you can talk bro-in-law into backing up your data and updating you to Ubuntu 9.10. It's fast and painless generally. PM me for further details if you like.

Until then, there are a couple of things you can do; Use my Smileys page at [smileys.papashome.com] ; copy the text under the smiley you want, and click the insert image icon here (mountains/sun), and put the link into the image box.
Or, use keyboard shortcuts, as explained here: [papashome.com]

When you use smileys it always helps to click Preview in order to view the message, and make sure it looks the way you want it.

P U hey! who did that?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
November 18, 2009 08:30AM
Thanks Onyx
bro-in-law hasn't been down for ages owing to work difficulties but should be here at Xmas so I will have a chat to him then about what you suggest....

and in the meantime I will follow your instructions....

Ta much
Speed up your web browsing Happy Dance
December 04, 2009 11:49PM
Speed up your web browsing by using Google's new name resolution servers.

The guts of this is that every time your computer asks for a website, it sends a letter to another dozen computers, asking for the physical address of the site that it's looking for. Those other computers keep passing the letter on until someone knows where that requested website lives. Then the answer makes it all the way back to your computer. Then your computer knows where that site lives, and sends letters to that website asking it to display information on the page. That's why the web seems so slow. Because websites can change where they live (or more correctly the site owners or webhosts do), your computer needs to check for these changes of address regularly.

Google has offered two Public DNS servers (DNS= Domain Name Resolution = where does that site live?) for you to use, in order to get much reduced response times to your requests for address. The advantage of doing this is that Google's got the expertise and net centrality to put the best DNS servers in the best place.

DANGER DANGER Will Robinson

The following information is helpful, and comprehensive, but you need to realize that if you stuff it up, then your computer may not be able to reach the internet. Follow it exactly, or not at all.

How to change your system to take advantage of this: [code.google.com]

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost