Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

The witness value of intolerance

Posted by Mr. Green Genes 
Recent Messages
The witness value of intolerance
December 15, 2011 01:09AM
Time article re: Lowe's, Muslims & intolerant Christians

After reading this article, I went to Lowe's corporate website and sent them a message explaining that I've been a long-time customer, but will no longer buy anything from them. With their cowardly capitulation, Lowe’s affirmed the Florida "Family" Association's message of intolerance & hatred that's aimed at fellow Americans. And they did it on a national stage.

How low of Lowe's.

There are too many of groups like the FFA that embarrass me with their claim to Christianity. They're not just Ugly Americans, they're Ugly Americans claiming to be followers of Jesus. There's a quote often attributed to Gandhi that in some form or other goes: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

This quote makes me both wince & smile. I like it. In spite of my resonance with its sentiment, I had a nagging doubt about it's authenticity. I did a little snooping on Snopes and, sure enough, there's no record Gandhi ever said that. I think I found the source of that apocryphal quote. And it is so much better.

E. Stanley Jones (no slouch), Christian missionary & author, had a long & mutually respectful friendship with Mahatmas Gandhi. In 1926, in an article about Dr. Jones' recently published The Christ of the Indian Road, the reviewer wrote:

Dr. Jones says that the greatest hindrance to the Christian gospel in India is a dislike for western domination, western snobbery, the western theological system, western militarism and western race prejudice. Gandhi, the great prophet of India, said, "I love your Christ, but I dislike your Christianity." The embarrassing fact is that India judges us by our own professed standard. In reply to a question of Dr. Jones as to how it would be possible to bring India to Christ, Gandhi replied: First, I would suggest that all of you Christians live more like Jesus Christ. Second, I would suggest that you practice your Christianity without adulterating it. The anomalous situation is that most of us would be equally shocked to see Christianity doubted or put into practice. Third, I would suggest that you put more emphasis on love, for love is the soul and center of Christianity. Fourth, I would suggest that you study the non-Christian religions more sympathetically in order to find the good that is in them, so that you might have a more sympathetic approach to the people.

Wow
& amen
Re: The witness value of intolerance
December 16, 2011 06:51AM
I cannot get the article at all, but found other sites referring to the issue. I liked what one writer had to say...'do you ask your policeman what religion he is before he stops you from being a victim of crime? How about your surgeon, as he operates to save your life?'

For some people, yes, their religion is their everything; they cannot see the God who loves them for who they are, they have a need to belong to the 'right' club in order to be accepted.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
December 16, 2011 04:14PM
I don't know how it is in UK or NZ, but in the US the loudest-speaking Christians, the ones most associated by non-christians with the Christian faith, are the MOST intolerant, the MOST tribal, the LEAST openminded and the LEAST loving.
Snotted
Of course there are many, many believers quietly living loved and loving. But the ones who get on TV are our Republican presidential candidates, who talk about Jesus and intolerance in the same sentence, leaving the impression that Jesus is just like them. And "leaders" like the pastor in this article, and Ayatollahs Pat Robertson and James Dobson, who encourage their flock to "pray against" the Occupy Wall Street protesters and gay people. This is the face of christianity the world sees. And they have power! as can be seen by how this one Florida group influenced a big corporation like Lowe's.
Censored
It makes me redouble my own efforts to be tolerant and kind and openhearted, while at the same time speaking out against the injustices of the pharisees when the opportunity arises...
March 13, 2012 03:00AM
Mmm me agress - they have there "rewards" already. They have reaped what they have sown.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost