Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

"Religion is a crutch"

Posted by Theresa7 
Recent Messages
"Religion is a crutch"
April 29, 2011 12:23AM
I hadn't thought about this phrase in a LONG time. Probably not since I was actually stuck in religion. So,...

What do y'all think of this phrase, now that we're on the other side of the church walls?
Re: "Religion is a crutch"
April 29, 2011 11:20AM
I always did agree with that phrase, only for a different reason. When I was "in religion" and somebody would say it was a crutch, I'd say, "Yep, sure is, and who couldn't use a crutch to hobble through this rough life?"

Now I see the religious system as a crutch that people lean on far too long, way after the leg is healed, when they could be freely walking with Papa.

I think the other phrase was "religion is the opiate of the masses" , wasn't that Karl Marx? Not sure I agree with that one, since he was really saying faith in God is foolish and unnecessary...
April 30, 2011 08:16PM
Isn't it funny, the things we forget... I used to say that too -- that Jesus was indeed there to help those in need. After all, he came for those who need a doctor, not the well.

But I guess on some level, I was still offended. ...interesting....

The other day when I thought about this phrase ("religion is a crutch"winking smiley, I thought about that perhaps I might look at it differently, now that I see religion as an ugly FORM which actually keeps us from God.

What I'm thinking now is that the crutch of religion actually does allow people to hobble through life and think its okay. I have a crutch, the crutch is the best thing out there to help me walk, so I use the crutch. There's no need to see a doctor or think I can get healed and walk normally. THat would mean I'd have to throw away this crutch, and I've grown accustomed to it. Besides, if the "giving up my crutch" thing doesn't work, I might fall down and never get up again.
Plus, God gave me this crutch. Its how he wants it. If I gave up my crutch, I bet GOD would knock me down on purpose.

.... very sad.....
May 01, 2011 08:21PM
Yes, I'm familiar with the saying. If religion is a crutch, how does it help us to walk? It actually gets in the way of a real relationship with the God who loves us; so maybe it should be a called the 'stumbling stone' instead. Or a millstone tied around the neck? Such is it's weight and burden.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
May 08, 2011 09:28AM
Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"
Annie Dillard

Read more: [www.brainyquote.com]

hehehehehe

LH
(Now off to tell everyone!)
May 08, 2011 04:55PM
Love that quote LH!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost