Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Why bad things happen to good people

Posted by Princess 
Recent Messages
Why bad things happen to good people
December 15, 2010 07:57AM
I was reading my Bible today, and was studying the book of Job. Now in my bible it has a basic synopsis of the events in each of the books, and in this one it says
Synopsis
The friends of Job explain his suffering in traditional religious terms. Since God, so they assume, always rewards good and punishes evil, the sufferings of Job can only mean he has sinned. But for Job this is too simple; he does not deserve such cruel punishment, because he is an unusually good and righteous man.

And then reading the "first dialogue" by Eliphaz vs 7
Eliphaz the Temanite
Think back now. Name a single case where a righteous man met with disaster.
It interests me how how the synopsis says "traditional religious terms" and that the friends are assuming that it's Jobs' fault, because he must of sinned.
Now doesn't that sound familar?
Re: Why bad things happen to good people
December 16, 2010 01:46AM
Hi Princess, it's good to hear from you again! I've loved the book of Job since I first read it in when I was about 9, it just captivated me. 'Cause it's about just what you said, "why bad things happen to good people", and everybody wants to know why that happens.

So Job's friends explain it as his fault. He must have screwed up and angered God somehow. And then they dust off their hands and go away feeling good about themselves, for having solved that mystery. (leaving Job of course, feeling much worse for their visit)

so tell me, dear Princess, ....why do YOU think bad things happen to good people?

Not a hard question or anything, is it? Laughing
December 16, 2010 02:09AM
A while back you taught us the secret of hula hoops that they should be different sizes for different people, the reason I bring it up is that for 40or 50 years we have been trying to hola and failing because no one told us the secret, I think there maybe something deep and meaningful In that.

To your question have you ever seen a mean and evil new born child?
I think that is how God sees us All, Jesus died to save sinners so I think that means that he loves us all equally but we like to judge who is good or bad.

I worked for 7 years running a youth church, and when that came to and end I started work at a government youth centre, in one of the roughest parts of my city. I thought ok I may not be able to talk about god but people will see through my love for the young people. I was given another youth worker to work with, who was known as f'ing kay because she swore all the time, she was into spiritualism and an alcoholic but she showed more of gods love to the young people than I could at that time.

I guess my points are:
humans say people are good or evil
god says we have all fallen short of the mark and he so loves us all

bad things happen to good people
good things happen to bad people
but love happens to anyone who chooses to believe
and love conquerors all.

Ps any tips on skateboarding
December 16, 2010 02:28AM
Onyx has a tip on skateboards...then again he tips over on everything else too...Crazy

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
December 16, 2010 02:38AM
"dad you're so not funny" as my kids say all the time
December 16, 2010 04:17AM
tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry, just proving that bad puns happen to good people. And though I love my children dearly, I still subject them to some terrible jokes. (Yes, now the Child Welfare authorities will be after me!)

- Lenny Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 04:19AM by onyx.
December 17, 2010 07:40AM
C Shell: I'm not sure anybody can really answer that question, Maybe it will only be known when we get to heaven.
But what I find interesting is that it appears that it was Satan testing Job, trying to make him "sin" by blaming God for his misfortunes, because in the start of the book, God describes Job as being the most faithful men in the world!

Juk: Sorry, I don't use skateboards! and Onyx delights in trying to embarrass us, but we're so used to it...
So Onyx; Work harder! NeenerNeener
December 17, 2010 04:58PM
Hmm... Something just occurred to me... What's wrong with blaming God for the bad things that happen?
Doesn't he have a say in it?

Maybe (just pondering) the problem is that Job was flirting with telling God he was WRONG -- i.e. putting himself as a judge over God. ... (interesting to me....)
December 17, 2010 09:47PM
I guess God does have a say in it, he could *step in, change the laws of nature or whatever* and all would be well again. I don't think he does that very often. And that's hard sometimes. Like when you're praying for your friend J to get well and you want God to DO IT NOW PLEASE DON'T LET HIM SUFFER ONE MORE MINUTE and then he has the flu a few more days.

but I think I'm over blaming God. (now watch something terrible happen to me, heh) What about you all? do you ever blame God?
December 17, 2010 11:35PM
Big Hug! Princess

There is much that can be said for Job and his suffering that has not been included here.
Did our Father not love Job enough? Even though he (Job) was a faithful man and so buy this his live was known by his actions and his tongue. Does it say anywhere that Job did not "claim", "confess" or "believe" the right things; that the Father knew what he was going through yet did nothing, stood by and watched...? What then shall we make of Gods heart in this matter then?

What was the result of Job's 'trial'?

Was there anyone else written about in the scriptures that you can find that also had this similar problem?

Keep Reading and keep asking Father to show you what He's up to and why. Then share it winking smiley

LH
December 18, 2010 05:49PM
Perhaps its because I came from such a religious and sheltered background, but for several years, I was afraid for my husband because he would express his anger at God. After years of praying that God would have mercy on his "poor, sinful behavior", God confronted ME!! "Don't you think I can handle it? At least he's honest about how he feels." Ouch!!!

Since that day, I've thought a lot about giving God credit / blame -- same thing, really. It just depends on whether you LIKE or DISlike what is happening, right?

I think God is okay with this. So long as we accept that he is bigger (He put the mountain goats on the mountains and watches them give birth, right?), that he really does LOVE us, and that He wants to be with us in whatever is happening -- good or bad. I think this is a key as to where God finally confronted Job and what Job repented from.

So, to answer CShell's question. I "blame" God a lot, but I don't hold his against him -- i.e. I don't let it get between us. I'm not him. I may not like what he is doing or allowing, and I'm okay with telling him so. But I don't fret that he's getting it WRONG. He's God. I'm not. I trust him. (Don't always LIKE it, but I DO trust him.)
December 18, 2010 07:12PM
Agreed
I'm not God, he is. He does his job, I do mine. If I don't like the job he's doing I am free to complain about it...but I realise that I am really not smart enough to see the BIG PICTURE that he sees and operates in, so I don't do too much moaning winking smiley

After all, we can see that the evils of this world are not his, but rather of the fallen world...everything tends towards decay. Love grows, but so does man's capacity for evil.

- Lenny Bruce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost