Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

r u thankful?

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
r u thankful?
November 26, 2010 11:54PM
Those quaint Americans have this tradition going on right now; of Thanksgiving. I admire that. Because we are brought up under the English mindset of whining instead. (No offense to my English brothers and sisters - I am sure you are exceptions to the generalisation!)

So what are you thankful for today?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: r u thankful?
November 27, 2010 01:34AM
Someone cleverer than me said if u can have only one prayer let it be thank you.

I am thankful
that I have a job although I may not next year
I am thankful for the 4 kids I have and the love we share
thankful the through trials I have been taught even though I may perish I know god is with me
thankful for my papashome brothers and sisters for the real not virtual love I get from them
thankful for a pub where the broken are the norm, and norm as in cheers
thankful that it is now time for bed
November 27, 2010 10:01PM
Hi J and O

Yes I too saw a glimpse of the American deal of 'thankfulness'. It does leave me wondering though how the "Big T" show is really realted to ones life over there?

"Thankgiving" - 'annual U.S. holiday celebrating harvest and yearly blessings; originated with Pilgrims (1621).'

Hmmm?

On reflection what really 'drives' thankfulness or giving thanks? ....The heart or sense of 'feeling, emotion' maybe for gratitude?
a. an expression of thanks to God
b. a public act of religious observance or a celebration in acknowledgment of divine favors?

Lets not get religious here but 'get real' - life is not life without faith in something greater than yourself, it is only survival! Some only want to survive to the next meal ... some want to be the next meal and some ... some have found the next 'meal' ... Thankfulness

Col 3:15-17 - (Amp'd) And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [[u]members of Christ's] one body[/u] you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always]. 16 Let the word [spoken by] Christ (the Messiah) have its home [in your hearts and minds] and dwell in you in [all its] richness, as you teach and admonish and train one another in all insight and intelligence and wisdom [in spiritual things, and as you sing] psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, making melody to God with [His] grace in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do [no matter what it is] in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus and in [dependence upon] His Person, giving praise to God the Father through Him.

LH
Humbled by life and knowing him and his grace which I do not deserve, crushed by His love, struggling with the flesh, undeserving a second chance.
November 28, 2010 12:52PM
I heard it said on the radio this week that, "If you are thankful, then you will have peace."
I don't think so. I think that if you have PEACE -- as in the Prince of Peace -- then you will be thankful.

It has always bothered me that we are "supposed" to "be thankful" this time of year, as though one can manufacture it inside and then exude it. Like trying to manufacture Love, Forgiveness, etc. I think its a fruit of the Spirit. -- Wait a minute!! Thankfulness IS listed as a fruit of the Spirit!! Ah-HA! (Can't believe I forgot that...)

It seems that so many of our traditions start with good intentions, but end up being duties; so often Thanksgiving turns into a weekend of obligations. But maybe its not that way for the men, since they don't have to plan and prepare the party.... (can you hear me grumbling?)

Today (2 days after "Thanksgiving" and after spending time with extended family), I plan to make a big Turkey dinner with all the trimmings, I plan to share it with my husband while watching a good movie, Papa and Jesus and the Holy Spirit will be there, and I have no doubt that I will be grateful that we can afford such a meal and that we have friends and family who love us (but who are NOT present), and I will be thankful that we get to have leftovers for DAYS from such a feast. :-)
November 28, 2010 04:11PM
Thanksgiving with us is a very positive holiday. We invite 2 older male unmarried cousins who would be alone that day, make a delicious feast in which we all take part in the cooking. After we eat, we go around the table and each person talks about what they're most thankful for this year. You learn things about your family members that surprise you! and it makes you feel close to each other to be talking from your heart.

I think maybe after all these years, my crabby, pessimistic, glass-half-empty brother is mellowing a little bit...seems like he mentions thinks he's grateful for on days that are NOT Thanksgiving.
November 28, 2010 08:08PM
Anyone gonna answer Onyxs question which I think is positive and uplifting and I guess a part praise and worship, or do people want to discuss traditions and festivals, it did me good to share what I'm thankful for it made a change from thinking about all I have to worry about or all crap I could moan about.

If your glass is half empty or half full you have reason to be thankful, when I was really down and someone asked if I was cup half empty or half full I replied I don't know because someones nicked my cup!

Living Loved Loving Life
November 28, 2010 09:13PM
J....

What are you saying exactly? You aren't pleased with the responses? We aren't doing it right? No offense, but that's what I got from your message.

Still wondering... :-)

Steve
November 28, 2010 09:45PM
No offense ment or taken, just thought onyxs original question was a good one, I didn't think he was asking a theolgical question on what is thankfulness or anything but an offer for people to share what they were thankful for as encouragement for others

Sometimes it is too easy to get stuck in what is wrong or having a prayer list of needs when actually we have so much to be thankful for, when my daughter zoe worked in an aids orphanage in Kenya she came back impressed by how happy the kids were, her disability disapeared while she was there not physically but because she could recognise how much she had.

By all means discuss what being thankful means, I'd rather hear your experience of what you are thankful for.
November 29, 2010 05:02PM
Why don't you get back into bed

Reasons to be cheerful part 3

1 2 3

Summer, Buddy Holly, the working folly
Good golly Miss Molly and boats
Hammersmith Palais, the Bolshoi Ballet
Jump back in the alley and nanny goats

18-wheeler Scammels, Domenecker camels
All other mammals plus equal votes
Seeing Piccadilly, Fanny Smith and Willy
Being rather silly, and porridge oats

A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
You're welcome, we can spare it - yellow socks
Too short to be haughty, too nutty to be naughty
Going on 40 - no electric shocks

The juice of the carrot, the smile of the parrot
A little drop of claret - anything that rocks
Elvis and Scotty, days when I ain't spotty,
Sitting on the potty - curing smallpox

1 2 3

Health service glasses
Gigolos and brasses
round or skinny bottoms

Take your mum to paris
lighting up the chalice
wee willy harris

Bantu Stephen Biko, listening to Rico
Harpo, Groucho, Chico

Cheddar cheese and pickle, the Vincent motorsickle
Slap and tickle
Woody Allen, Dali, Dimitri and Pasquale
balabalabala and Volare

Something nice to study, phoning up a buddy
Being in my nuddy
Saying hokey-dokey, singalonga Smokey
Coming out of chokey

John Coltrane's soprano, Adi Celentano
Bonar Colleano

1 2 3

Yes yes
dear dear
perhaps next year
or maybe even never

in which case

1 2 3

1 2 3

repeat to fade
November 30, 2010 11:06PM
Eeek - -

Normally I'm the one to write some prose
So now I guess, and do suppose
That it's my turn to write my thanks
(and pull experiences from memory banks)

I'm so thankful for my boys,
Who fill my house with musical noise,
They're such a blessing sent to us
They seldom ever make a fuss.

And then there's hubby
Father of three
Often away,
but comes home to me.

I'm thankful for this 'Godzone' land
Fought by soldiers hand to hand,
For freedoms given up by them
To give us liberty from the mayhem.

I'm thankful that I am employed
Even though not overjoyed
To work inside a grocery store
(I must admit, it is chore).

I'm thankful for my family and friends
Who share my life with their odds and ends
Who accept me just as I am
(especially when I'm not looking glam!)

But most of all I'm thankful for
Papa who loves me, warts and all.
Who sent His son to die for me,
Forgiveness, and His liberty.

To live in His love the rest of my days
To follow Him always whilst learning His ways.
Secure in the knowledge that we'll be together
Eternal, always...
That means FOREVER Happy Dance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 11:10PM by Ginny.
November 30, 2010 11:51PM
Thanks for the verses. I am thankful for the life I have today and wondering what is in store for me
tomorrow.

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
November 30, 2010 11:55PM
I am thankful for this community of diverse individuals that are clever and creative grinning smiley

Yes, I was interested in what you are thankful for! These days I find that theology rubs me up the wrong way, unless I'm in an intellectual mood. But just because I am that way inclined, does not mean that you should refrain from hashing out the finer points of belief, faith, religion, life... in fact I recommend you do so. It's a safe place to vent...

I want to be thankful for so much more. Instead of whining about how hard I have it. So sometimes I deliberately look at those who have it harder than me...and I know that actually, all things considered, I have zippity-do-dah to complain about, and so much blessing I am a king!

I am sure that Papa prefers to hear us rejoice in our blessings winking smiley

- Lenny Bruce
December 01, 2010 12:04AM
I had this song pop into my mind - written by Tom Howard....

Your Constant Love

With the setting sun the darkness falls
Another day draws to an end
Through the silent night the world can rest
And know the sun will rise again

I'm thankful for your constant love

The planets glow with borrowed light
Reflected off their meteor scars
While the ships at sea can set their course
Guided by the changeless stars

And what is man in Heaven's light
A fleeting shadow playing his part
Yet the love that fires the highest star
Bends down to touch the human heart
(emphasis mine)

December 01, 2010 12:58AM
Love you all and love to you all my brothers and sisters
December 02, 2010 02:15AM
grumble, grumble, grumble.... yeah, the grumbler in me is awake tonight.

J -- I think we all DID answer Onyx's question... Lionhearted was thankful for God's Grace, Love, and a continuous second chance. I was grateful for the time and money to make a good meal, share it with my hubby with God ever present. And CShell was thankful for a change she is seeing in her brother's pessimism.

So,,.... I'm a little frustrated at the implication that we were on a tangent. Perhaps this was not your intention -- knowing you, I'm SURE it was not. ...*sigh*...
Honestly, I think this is all just hitting a nerve with me these days. -- That nerve is pretty sore... the one that constantly hears "You're not doing it right".

Grumble grumble. Really tired of that.... SO...Fr!**** tired... I... could.... scream..........

('nough said?? ... Well, I'm not done....)

The question itself sets me off -- "What are you thankful for?" Why does this question bother me? Well, this is the exact question that my family used to go around the table and be forced to answer. It was like a religious test... If your answer was not spiritual enough, you were shamed and looked down upon.

More recently, a group of people (long story) employed this type of religious shame on me, my husband, and our best friends to coerce us into joining their "body" (i.e. cult). It has taken YEARS to overcome the damage to us all (and we are still getting over it...) So, when I get that feeling of "you're not doing it right".... I have a problem. .... Just sayin'.....
(Breathe, Theresa. Breathe...)
Okay, I'm done.

Truly love you ALL -- just had to let that out.... Hope that's ok.
December 02, 2010 10:35AM
(((Theresa))) Squish

I am thankful that you can share that with us. winking smiley Yeah, I understand how things like this can grate, and TBH it would have grated on me a year ago too...but I'm mellowing out ( some may say too mellow )...and so I only see things from my own new perspective of being thankful. Yep the religious had a field day with the THANKFUL slogan, and the fake plastic smiles and faking-it-til-ya-make-it...but ya know what? I am determined that they are not going to spoil it (the act of being thankful) for me, by tainting it with their brush of phoniness.

All this is not to say that I am in a better place than you, nor that you SHOULD be in this place at all. We are all unique creations , and have our unique journeys. So don't sweat it when things like this do grate on you. It's awesome that you can tell us all about how it makes you feel! And in so welcoming the feeling, it is allowing Papa to help you deal with it.

- Lenny Bruce
December 02, 2010 09:34PM
December 02, 2010 09:54PM
Some of the things I am thankful for.....

• clean water pumped right to the tap (faucet) that I can drink without fear of illness or death
  • electricity/gas so I can have a hot shower
  • the people who make the building materials so I can have a roof over my head
  • for all the greens in the trees
  • that my children are not forced to go to school and are excited to discover and learn (but don't tell them they are learning!)
  • that I have the resources, time and skills to knit my daughter a cardigan
  • being able to do archery, paddle-boats and flying-fox with my children instead of sending them away to camp to experience these activities by themselves
  • that I can think even though sometimes it sends me round and round in circles or on a roller coaster of emotions
  • that I don't have to queue to buy bread from a government mandated bakery or use coupons for food
  • that my value is not reflected by a dowry or cultural belief that women are property

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2010 10:50PM by Wifey.
December 02, 2010 10:33PM
Onyx thank you bro for saying what I would like to have said if I had your words

Living Loved Loving Life
December 03, 2010 12:15PM
Thanks to all for your patience with me. I appreciate your kindness.
December 05, 2010 09:20PM
I'm thankful that here is a place that one can be 'thankful'.

Chris
(Paws on screen)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost