Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

"The Brethren"

Posted by Theresa7 
Recent Messages
"The Brethren"
May 04, 2011 12:08AM
Anyone ever heard of "The Brethren"?

I saw this one hour special (movie?) called "God Willing" on ThinkTV (pbs) this past weekend.
[godwillingmovie.com]
Anyone?
Re: "The Brethren"
May 04, 2011 01:05AM
We have groups called "Brethren" here; Open Brethren and Exclusive Brethren...with many sub-groups of each. The Exclusives are the cult-styled ones.

Why do you ask?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
May 09, 2011 12:03AM
Yup I was raised in the open variety. My parents who introduced to jesus in the exclusive variety have in the last couple of years returned to that variety. Holding my nose and saying yuck.
May 13, 2011 09:11PM
I don't think we're talking about the same group.
I think you guys may be talking about the really oppressive and the little-bit-less oppressive denomination with official membership and church buildings, yes?

The group in the video above is also known as "The Garbage Eaters" because they don't hold regular jobs, are nomadic, don't let women cut their hair OR pin it back, etc.. They take the teaching about "you must hate your father and your mother...." to an extreme -- cutting people off from their families. Families of these people (mainly young adults in their college years) have formed a support group to look for eachother's children, since many have had no contact with them for years.

Many of the teachings of this group sounded a LOT like "The Body" -- that group of people I've mentioned who were very cult-like. The Body was perhaps not as ascetic, but no less controlling. One interesting thing was that they do this control by making you afraid that you are going to be lost. If you choose x, that means you love x more than God, therefore you will be lost...

I watched the program with my head for a while, then -- when a mother re-met her daughter and saw how much she had changed -- I was struck by the similarity of disposition and mannerisms. I'm wondering now if The Body has had any history with The Garbage Eaters.

Anyone ever heard of, seen, or met them?
July 22, 2011 10:09PM
No not i either over this side of the waters.

But I did have contact with some who where under the The Shepherding Movement -

(sometimes called the "Discipleship Movement"winking smiley was an influential and controversial movement within some British and American charismatic churches, emerging in the 1970s and early 1980s. The doctrine of the movement emphasized the "one another" passages of the New Testament, and the mentoring relationship described in 2 Timothy."

ttfn

LH - following the Father.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost