Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Parody Of Our Modern Church Service

Posted by joshuacorp 
Recent Messages
Parody Of Our Modern Church Service
September 09, 2011 02:33AM

If God can use a donkey, then He can use an ass like me!
Re: Parody Of Our Modern Church Service
September 09, 2011 08:04AM
Thought this contained a lot of truth in it's irony when I saw it the first time; and still now, although it's more sadly accurate.

Why did they make this video I wonder?
September 09, 2011 12:05PM
This is so true about services. Like Wifey, why did they make this? Maybe to show how to run a service?

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
September 09, 2011 07:35PM
I have been listening to a guy called Shane Claiborne he got got disillusioned by church but in his quest to find 1 real Christian came to the conclusion to not criticise others but to try and be and build the church Christ would build. For him he found it with homeless people and lepers, but I guess we can find those who fit that bill where we are now.
September 09, 2011 11:08PM
maybe people are concerned about the way church operates and didn't feel that they could address the issue any other way. if a church puts something like this together doesn't it show an awareness of the problems they face in a visual instant world, i think if a church showed this in a Sunday setting that they are bold and forward thinking and aware - they trick will be how they then would change the way they do things....if put together by a group of church people, what a brave bunch, they have nailed their colours and thinking to the mast for all to see, they have show to be proactive - good on them i say.

I am all for people challenging the norm, even if it rocks the boat.

If God can use a donkey, then He can use an ass like me!
September 10, 2011 08:18PM
So they are highlighting that the entire point of the Sunday morning service is a manipulating entertainment show. In that they are at least being honest.

But it really does leave the question wide open....what did they do with this knowledge? Do they then deconstruct it, and create a relational church based only upon meeting together in small groups to discuss life in Christ? Surely that was the main thing; avoiding the "one man with all the answers" paradigm?

It appears that their response to the truth in their own message was really VERY shallow [insidenorthpoint.org]

On May 5th, we posted a video on our blog called “Sunday Morning”. This video was posted in a catalog of other videos from our annual Church leader conference we host called DRIVE. As a standard practice, we post our videos for the larger creative community because some of our best learning comes from those who view and comment on our work. Well, one week later and over 350,000 hits, this 3-minute video has created quite a stir. If context determines meaning, we can understand some of the questions and confusion surrounding this video. We unintentionally provided no context for it (like we did for all of our Drive videos) and some people have attempted to construe their own meaning for the video. While the conversations have been rich, we now feel responsible to provide some context to help people understand our purpose for the video. “Sunday Morning” was used specifically to employ fun into the conference and set up a message by Andy. The video was meant to be satirical and comical and Andy’s message unpacked the why behind our Sunday morning programming philosophy. That’s all there was to it. Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for your responses on the various blogs.

So actually, although the truth is there before their own eyes in a satire they made, they cannot see how it really does parody the life of church so badly? Just wow. How can they not see that?

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
September 12, 2011 11:26PM
So, (??) the see the problem, but they don't think it's a problem?

Like saying, "we need to be careful of getting stuck in a rut", when they have already fallen into a giant pit.

So sad.
September 12, 2011 11:57PM
I have never been to a 'church' where there wasn't an 'order of service' so thought they must have realised they were 'guilty' too.

Who here has read "Pagan Christianity"? It explored the origins of what happens in church and it's structure through the ages - really interesting read.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost