Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

challenges and encouragements

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
challenges and encouragements
March 05, 2011 10:37PM
How would it be if we were to have a weekly challenge / encouragement brought by our good folk here...kinda like a sermon, only everyone gets to comment on it? Too old-school religious? Could be something Papa had placed on your heart to write (or video), or it could be something you found that inspired you. But looking particularly at that which challenges us and motivates us in our relationship with Papa and each other. How is this different from what we already do here? Well, i think it is really just a case of being focused on the mandate to TEACH and ENCOURAGE one another, as well as the sharing of lives that we do here so well.

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: challenges and encouragements
March 06, 2011 10:54AM
Onyx here are my thoughts, I like the idea but also think a) aren't the threads encouragements / challenges b) who gets to do the sermon? The person confident enough who writes well etc I guess it may be mis guided box fears of giving someone a pulpit!

But I do like idea of getting some input. What about having an open subject that everyone who wants to post their feelings on, or encouraging everyone who uses ph regularly to
Take a turn doing a sermon. Just my thoughts
March 06, 2011 05:39PM
Not sure how I feel about reading sermons from my friends. There's a part of me that backs up at the idea. and we don't do "organized" very well, I think.

I'm not clear about how the encouragement/challenge would be different from just posting a thread on a subject? Like, I already feel free enough to start a thread on something that I've been learning, or something Papa's been bringing to my attention. I don't feel comfortable asking others to be at the same place I am about that subject, though. That was one of the issues I used to have with sermons: on Sunday I'd hear from the pulpit that I was supposed to be focusing on intercessory prayer or forgiveness or something, and I'd feel bad because I'd been focusing on something else and now I have to add intercessory prayer too, and I'd feel weighed down by all the things I should be focusing on.

What about having an open subject that everyone who wants to post their feelings on
I like J's suggestion. we could take turns each week choosing the subject; doesn't mean we need to be an expert on it, just that we'd like to bring it up for discussion.
March 07, 2011 12:55PM
I like J idea too. I am not much on sermons, but do like that we share our ideas and feeling about how we see the world.

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
March 07, 2011 02:19PM
Hey Happy Monday...

I am kind of with the majority. Just not really ready to sit down in front of someone's pulpit yet. winking smiley Besides I don't usually have much time in front of the computer to delve into a really in depth time of reading and contemplating. So if people of somethng to share great, tho not sure we need a new catagory for doing it in.
March 07, 2011 05:16PM
I, too, don't always have time to sit down and contemplate -- or "test" out what someone is saying.
And I don't do well with "Shoulds" these days.

I like the idea of growing, of being challenged, but when it comes right down to it... if the challenge is human based, then I feel condemned. But if its from Papa, it is actually encouraging. know what I mean? And although I'm getting better, I'm not always great at telling the difference.
I think I'd be in trouble if there were a delegated person who was supposed to have the answer or the challenge or something.
I'm sure I would fail at it. I'd fail at even wanting to read it probably.

I think I like the idea of a topic / question of the week -- then everyone can chat and share. Kind of like usual, but I like the idea of having a guaranteed NEW THING every week -- for the times when things get quiet around here. Heck, even if it's a topic like: "Name one time you KNEW Papa was speaking something to you - what was it like/ what happened?"

BTW -- where is this mandate to "TEACH and ENCOURAGE"?
March 08, 2011 02:18AM
Let me see if I can write something coherent. For me of late, my brain just isn't working on all 3 cylinders. I feel like I am mostly only working on the right side of the brain, and not even there fully. I think that once I get on dialysis, there might be hope for me.

But right now, I can barely get through a newspaper article. However, when it's something written in a way that my heart is hungry for, I eat it up. So, I feel kind of wishy washy in my response.

I have found myself listening to hours of certain audios, but it has to be right where my life and my heart is at the present.

So, encouragement? I could really use it. But I don't know quite how this would be planned out? Other than what we already are doing?

Help me understand more, if you can.
March 09, 2011 07:04PM
The mandate to teach and encourage really comes from Christ's own words...to go into the countryside and teach, making disciples, and in 1 Thessalonians 5, and 2 Timothy 4, for instance.

I was trying to somehow avoid the pulpit that we are all justifiably shy of, yet to aid the growth of us all by
1 Thess 5
Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.

There is a fine line between telling someone WHAT TO DO, and encouraging them in the walk that Papa already has them on. The key is real-ationship with the other person; knowing them well enough to know where Papa has them going. That sort of relationship is difficult to grow in this virtual environment, but is the aim of Papa's Home.

In practical terms I am not sure how this works out, which is why I am throwing it open to suggestions. J's suggestion is a good one.

- Lenny Bruce
March 11, 2011 09:38PM
I like the idea of a topics that are open for us to comment on but not someone presenting a 'sermon' for us to discuss. That's too contrived for me. Although dissecting "A Word for Today" has often sprung to mind.

Topics could be:
  • what is faith?
  • what is hope?
  • what is love?
  • what is prayer?
  • what is heaven?
  • what is forgiveness?
  • what is authority?

The difference in how these topics could work is that we post our thoughts and supporting evidence, in deference to our feelings. This is what I see the Kitchen for (if one needs to designate an area) - cutting up meaty stuff.
March 12, 2011 11:56PM
Hey am I the only one here now that dosnt a have a "blog" Rofl

The sense here, I believe from sniffin the air is that "do we need a bit more"?

Well yes we do, its just hard in virtual reality to make happen. However, when we share here and even by personal messages, this is supporting evidence of Life and Encouragement in our journeys.
The subjects, topics and places we have here already reveal many sermons on life and love and lose. We already have a 'open forum' of sorts here, what else is there?

We already get together with friends on occasions for a shared byo meal and share around the table and talk about our lives. Although some are on a different journey its "all a journey". Some come for a while, others stay and you have a core group.

So dinner is at ..... winking smiley

lh
August 23, 2011 11:04PM
"We already get together with friends on occasions for a shared byo meal and share around the table and talk about our lives. Although some are on a different journey its "all a journey". Some come for a while, others stay and you have a core group." (LionHearted)

You knew me as Phoebe last time I was here. I no longer need to hide and am using my real name now. My journey has had some interesting twists and turns, and I am more able to talk about it.

Good to be home!

W.I.P. (Work in Progress)
Learning to Live LOVED
August 23, 2011 11:07PM
So nice to have you back, dear Rhea!! Big Hug!

- Lenny Bruce
August 24, 2011 03:31PM
Welcome back!

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
August 27, 2011 11:42AM
Hooray!! :-) So good to see you again, Rhea! (formerly known as Phoebe) Big Hug!
August 28, 2011 07:36AM
I know that loverly face from somewhere!!

((((((Rhea)))))) and then Big Hug!

LH
(Now where did i put my glasses?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost