Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Blogs

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
Blogs
September 20, 2009 10:16AM
Looking at blogs from a usability and approachability perspective, I am wondering whether it was wise of me to limit replies to blogs, so that the blogs could be only commented upon outside of the blog's realm.

The status quo pros:

1. The blogger is free to create their own rant zone without interference
  2. The site is a lot tidier without replies
  3. A train of thought / a "series" can be followed, allowing the blogger to articulate something they have been studying

The status quo cons:

1. The blogger is free to create their own rant zone without interference- can be lonely too!
  2. Replies are part of being community
  3. If I have an agenda to push, you can bet I will try to use this method (Although there is no certainty that anyone will read my blog nor buy into whatever agenda I am peddling!)
  4. Users who want to reply to it are hampered in their efforts to do so, by the format of having to copy/paste into another forum area.
  5. In replying to the blog, there is nothing to link the two together, so that a casual observer knows what the community thinks of the blog posting. This makes it appear as though the community endorses the blog posting wholeheartedly, barring one or two dissident voices. That could be dangerous and divisive.
  6. Does being the owner of a blog here make you somehow elite? Or at least appear that way to others? In a really small community it would be possible to give everyone a blog, but as the site grows, that becomes really unwieldy and hard to maintain.

IF we let people comment on blogs, then there is actually not a whole lot of point having them- they are just the same as a forum, except that they are named differently. It then enables a user to dominate the blog with all of their postings (unless the blog owner gets tough with moderation)...which dilutes the purpose further.

So what thinketh thou? Hehe at least you can reply to this right now, before I turn it into a BLOG tongue sticking out smiley
Re: Blogs
September 20, 2009 05:30PM
Well, I dunno. We're flyin by the seat of our pants here. I guess most sites I've gone to, unless the blogger is famous or even almost famous, users can comment on their blog, Since none of us are even "almost", I favor comments on blogs for your reasons 1-6 above. The only point then, of having blogs, would be....to let users get to know the "founders" of the site and their different flavors, perhaps to develop relationships with bloggers that you have common thoughts with....? To give some personality to the site?

This is what I thinketh. cool smiley
September 21, 2009 10:10AM
Whaddya mean "not even almost famous"... I'm world famous in my own back yard!!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Good stuff, thanks CShell!

Ok, experiment time...

It's up to those with blogs here to choose whether they want to have others reply on their blog page... so let me know, and I'll flick the switch, guys!

I've opened my blog to replies.

And now Michael's and CShell's

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 10:06AM by onyx.
September 23, 2009 07:23PM
Hey guys!!!! Just pocking around in the rooms here and there. Pretty fancy digs ya got here, and I love the view!!!

I haven't much time this week, as I got a hard frost last night, gotta pull in the garden hoses, and harvest. My daughter is coming in tomorrow and we have family stuff planned. It's GORGEOUS outside right now with the crisp blue sky against the golden leaves on the trees. Plus, I was very sick for a week, so already very behind. But, I will bookmark this site, and learn my way around.

I just wanted to say that you have done a GREAT job here. My blessings upon this place, in agreement with the fact that where Papa is, there we are...... and that's a very good thing.

Love
Heather
September 23, 2009 08:05PM
Hey Good to see you Heather,

i appreciate your literary description of the sky. rockin grinning smiley

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Heather)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hope you all are well .

September 23, 2009 09:29PM
Heather
Hey guys!!!! Just pocking around in the rooms here and there. Pretty fancy digs ya got here, and I love the view!!!

I haven't much time this week, as I got a hard frost last night, gotta pull in the garden hoses, and harvest. My daughter is coming in tomorrow and we have family stuff planned. It's GORGEOUS outside right now with the crisp blue sky against the golden leaves on the trees. Plus, I was very sick for a week, so already very behind. But, I will bookmark this site, and learn my way around.

I just wanted to say that you have done a GREAT job here. My blessings upon this place, in agreement with the fact that where Papa is, there we are...... and that's a very good thing.

Love
Heather

Nice to see you Heather! Would you have a photo of your beautiful view? We'll put it up in the Lounge smiling smiley

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
September 24, 2009 12:30AM
Hey Heather! Hey girlfren'! thanks for droppin by!

Wow, you got a hard frost already....sure is different from Alaska to Indiana...where we are still in the 70's and have mucho mosquitoes. Are there mosquitoes in Alaska?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost