Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile House Rules

Advanced

Rebuilding

Posted by onyx 
Recent Messages
Rebuilding
August 26, 2010 10:01AM
I am planning a rebuild of Papa's Home, based on a more robust web application platform...

...so...

please leave me lots of suggestions on what you'd like to be able to do, or to have made easier...or anything you do like about the current system in particular...or whatever. Hey, you guys use Facebook, so you must have some ideas!

(o, btw, I cannot promise that any and every suggestion will make it in...but I love a challenge...)

Thanks!

Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
- Lenny Bruce
Re: Rebuilding
August 26, 2010 01:36PM
Maybe a chat feature. A way to know who is on so we could chat.

News flash:
God is not angry with you. He loves you.
If you don't believe that,
or think it's too good to be true,
or that I'm making it up - ask Him! smiling smiley
August 26, 2010 05:53PM
Firstly oynz can I thank you for this site and all the hard work that you put into it. I pray you get enjoyment from doing it if there is a financial cost to hosting it or any upgrade please feel able to pm me I would be willing to contribute.

Like the previous post a chat room would be nice then we could work out time zones and maybe arrange a time regularly to virtualy meet!

For me simplisty is king, knowing where new posts are and who has replied, as well as secure area's like the prayer room where maybe we could share more personal stuff and like I like to do on facebook photos of family and stuff.

Maybe some guidence for less techie people like me on how to post videos audio etc.

Thanks again
August 26, 2010 08:09PM
easy posting and uploading of video and images that doesnt require items to be posted on a third party server eg you tube etc.

something that will allow be to upload content using live writer ir a other desktop posting programme.

I am happy to pay for the hosting on our local server.....

not so cheesy graphics

able to uplaod and view a mobile phone version on my ipod

auto tick of follow replies to post

something that is IE freindly (dont roll your eyes)

somehting that we can create photo albums in

has an rss feed so that new posts / blogs or topics can be sunsctibed to and delivered to me desktop reader

twitter notification of posts?

a built in bible search / access

sure i will think of more

a bu

If God can use a donkey, then He can use an ass like me!
August 27, 2010 10:43AM
I am also willing to contribute any funds needed for Papa's Home, Onyx. Please, please let us know and don't burden yourself, because we all have a share in this "family".

I like the idea of being able to chat. If it's costly or impossible, no worries because we've gotten along fine here without. But it might be kind of fun.

I'm with J about simplicity. Which makes me reconsider whether it's necessary to have all the "rooms"? When I come here, I look for the most recent posts and don't pay attention to what room they're in. But I DO like the private feature of the prayer closet, where only members can read. So maybe just a public room and a private room are all that's needed?

Sorry, I don't even know what most of those things are that Mark listed.
August 27, 2010 01:20PM
I also would put something if need be. I love it here

News flash:
August 27, 2010 10:58PM
Thanks for the offers, guys...I need to think and pray about that...and it is possible if we started paying for it; to upgrade the web hosting to enable realtime chat, as well as video streaming internally, etc.

I kind of view this as a ministry, where I am a tent-maker providing a tent, but you are right in saying that offering finance to help is part of sharing as a family, too.

- Lenny Bruce
August 27, 2010 11:21PM
guess the last thing anyone wants to be is a burden, bro. More than happy to share cost of the tent but you can blow air beds up though
August 28, 2010 01:30AM
Here is our family pitching that tent.

News flash:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2010 01:33AM by dogwoodflwr.

August 29, 2010 10:57PM
I'm with CShell about not having a clue about which rooms are meant for which, and just checking the recent posts. Although I really like the parallel with a cabin/home/bach and the comfy feel of 'coming home'. K.I.S.S!

Yes, to the secure area for members only. Yes to chat if it will work on the sites present server set-up.

I think having the recent posts as teasers on the front page would be good, so you could read a snippet to see if you want to go to the full post.

I see this place as a family not a social networking site so FB, MOBlog, personal photo albums, self-hosted video & desktop editing don't concern me.

RSS is already on the site (but per thread would be good) as is auto-checking for replies to your posts (see your user account settings for the later).

You can see who is online (if they haven't chosen in their account settings to be hidden) down the bottom of each page.

Posting to Twitter may be a good feature for some and PH having an account there too - but that would require some more thought about growth and capacity.

I personally don't want to see people 'subscribing'/'paying for' PH and don't see it as necessary at the moment.

IF we were to grow or require a Virtual Private Server (in the US) due to the features that this family wanted here then perhaps appropriate paid advertising underwrites any costs, or accepting donations (but doing so through Paypal is not my first choice), or having a wishlist for Onyx. The only 'cost' presently is his time fiddling with the software, and let's face it, if he wasn't in front of a computer we might run out of wall space for all that beautiful art he might paint! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 11:25PM by Wifey.
September 02, 2010 04:36PM
I agree with most everything Wifey said. Squish

But, I don't know what RSS is, and I'm not interested in Twitter.

I am concerned with taking Onyx's time from fam / work, but if its his "thing" -- Sweet!! We here love reaping the benefits of his talent!!

Today is the first time I tried the search feature (not sure why I hadn't tried it before). Works great!! Thanks!!
September 03, 2010 01:20AM
I have a request, Onyx.

When there's a thread that goes on for more than a page, I have trouble figuring out how to go back to the first page.
Like, "So How's Everybody" is now 3 pages long, but I can't go back from page 3 to page 2. So, I guess what I'm asking, is for something on page 3 that says "2- 1" so I can click on it. You know what I mean? Hmmmm
September 03, 2010 10:54AM
I know just what you mean...the pagination of this site is pretty sucky right now...but we haven't had many threads with lots of posts winking smiley

The new site is taking shape...I'm currently working on getting my smileys into the new system (cos' Mark really loves 'em Laughing )...and figuring out how to transfer the current posts to the new site smoothly.

- Lenny Bruce

September 03, 2010 03:48PM
I'm with you here:
September 03, 2010 08:13PM
Real quick, before you get going. Could you build one of those "beam me up Scottie" thingies that they had in Star Trek? I would love to come down to your part of the world, or over to UK, or.... down to see Shelley in Indiana..... I would like to see you all, have a cup of tea (no jet lag) and home in time to feed my cats. Is that doable?
September 03, 2010 08:31PM
Yeah, I want a Transporter too. Can you do that, Onyx? I believe in you.Applause
September 03, 2010 08:46PM
Blushing I'm good at what I do guys...but not quite that good...Rofl

- Lenny Bruce
Re: Rebuilding Happy Dance
September 05, 2010 10:48AM
I believe - I BELIEVE - therefore this should be working eh!? - is the transporter working? - (just peeking)

Happy Dance

forget about IE do sudo getwithit FF install winking smiley

"I think it's really terrifying that a country based on the foundations and ideals of God, is now systematically removing God from everything!
Stephen Baldwin
September 05, 2010 08:42PM

sudo getwithit FF instal
Agreed
September 07, 2010 09:52PM
Sounds all very exciting to me. And I love chat rooms. Our group would be very fun to chat with.
The chat room I currently go to (Wildearth tv/Hornby eagle nest) has chatters from all over the world, so it keeps going all hours of the day and night. People get used to what time others come on, and it works quite well. Very interesting with all those different people chatting.
I've not been saying much lately, but I am still here, still reading, still interested in all of you and what Papa is doing in your lives. And I think the graphics are cute. I wish more sites had them!

W.I.P. (Work in Progress)
Learning to Live LOVED
September 08, 2010 11:15PM
This maybe a nightmare but what about a secure playroom where our kids could visit from time to time, to communicate with each other, maybe like the prayer closet locked so only certain people can view and comment etc
September 09, 2010 12:16AM
Hmmm, interesting idea J! A sub forum for the kids? It bears thinking about, but why would the young ones want to hang out where us old fuddy-duds are, when they could do so at the more kid-oriented places like funbrain? Have your children expressed an interest in being on here?

- Lenny Bruce
September 09, 2010 08:46AM
Onyz

no they have not expressed an interest, but my thoughts were based on princess being only the site a while back and deep discussions I have with zoe around stuff that goes on here.
September 29, 2010 10:25PM
mmm

I agree with you J - that maybe we need to understand that adults have different conversations than kids do and since we know this was setup for adults then we may feel differently about being open and sharing what is on our hearts in front of children. I know some parents believe that children need to be part of everything that go around in the house, however some parents come to the point of using them to confide there deepest heart felt needs. Something like a parental inversion?
What is the acceptable age for this blog then? 14, 16, 18...?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Guests: 987 on June 05, 2015
Hosted by DownTownHost